Peanut Butter

Options
Why is it so high in calories?? My favorite snack EVER is granny smith apples with 2 Tbsp. of Earth Balance organic peanut butter, but it alone has 190 calories. Are peanuts really that calorie dense, and is this a bad snack to be having consistently? I know the apple is perfectly fine.

Replies

• athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    It's not bad as long as you've got room for the calories. I eat a lot of nuts and peanut butter every day.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Peanuts/peanut butter are fine to eat. They are calorie dense becuase of their fat content.
  • wrecked_willow
    Options
    Maybe you could try almond butter? I hear it's really good for you
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter or almond butter almost every day. Worth every calorie!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Calorie load on Almond Butter is the same. I love it personally. The reason is it's dense in fats.
  • Mandired78
    Options
    I love apples and peanut butter,as well! I mix 1 T of PB with 1 T of plain Greek yogurt to drop the calories some and still get my PB fix!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I use Better 'n Peanut Butter brand... it tastes fantastic (not watery like most reduced fat brands) and it only has 100 cals for 2 TBS.
  • RA29649
    RA29649 Posts: 2
    Options
    That's a good idea. I love my PB too.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Peter Pan has a "Whipped Creamy" peanut butter that has 1/3 less sugar. 2 tbsp = 150 calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if it fits your macros, and you like it, then eat it
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You should try "Better N' Peanut Butter". It's soooooo yummy. You can get reduced sodium, chocolate, normal, etc. and 2TBS is only 100 calories!
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Try PB2 all the great taste and 45 calories. (peanut butter with oil squeezed out)
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love PB, eat it often. It's a great morning protein snack! Your body needs a certain amount of cals anyway...might as well make them high in protein!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am a peanut butter aholic. In my world, it is always worth the calories.
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My friend adds apple juice to her peanut butter to make it more creamy & to also be able "stretch" it out & have "more." I've had it, can't tell the difference :D
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I :heart: PB! I make sure I have enough calories for my PB toast every night.... even if that means getting on the treadmill after dinner just so I can have it as my snack! :happy:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I love apples and peanut butter,as well! I mix 1 T of PB with 1 T of plain Greek yogurt to drop the calories some and still get my PB fix!

Like this idea, thanks!
  • MommyLoo
    MommyLoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I put PB in my oatmeal every morning, just 1/2 tbsp and it totally makes a huge difference!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    all nut butters are high in calories but they are good calories I wouldnt worry about them. i eat peanut butter often.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Peter Pan has a "Whipped Creamy" peanut butter that has 1/3 less sugar. 2 tbsp = 150 calories.

this is what I use...Im a PB *kitten* :)