Day 1 of LIMITING processed foods and ADDED sugars. Anyone e

Options
I say limiting because I know it is unrealistic for me to go completely without processed foods. My initial plan for the first month or two is to limit the amount of processed junk food I eat such as candies, cookies, chips, salad dressings, baked goods that are NOT homemade, etc. I am hoping to limit it to no more than 1 or 2 junk-like processed foods a day. If I go cold turkey I think I would go crazy so I am starting small. I am also watching my ADDED sugars and trying to keep that between 30-40g a day. And in order to do this you basically have to limit processed foods and eat more whole foods. After 1-2 months of this I am hoping I wont crave as much processed junk and will have developed healthier habits and then can go from 1-2 a day to 1-2 every week, and then 1-2 a month, and then continue to make it less and less. Throughout all of this I will still continue to eat breads, milk, cheese, cereal, pasta even though they are processed, they at least have nutritional value to them so I don't feel as bad about eating them.

Today is Day 1 and so far so good. I did have a Cadbury caramel egg (left over from easter) and I will have some macaroni salad later today that was made at a deli but other than that I think I am doing pretty good. Ate a lot of filling stuff and made homemade tzatziki sauce which was really yummy! No chips with my lunch today! I hope it continues to get easier and easier to do this.

Anyone else eat similar to this? Was it hard to change? How long until you stopped craving processed junk food?

Replies

• Amygrl559
    Amygrl559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. I actually went cold turkey. I stopped eating fast food and sweets. I didn't think it would be easy for me or realistic because I looove chocolate and have a MAJOR sweet tooth, but it's now been 5 weeks and I have no desire for it. I actually still have chocolate and cupcakes from Easter that I can now walk by, without feeling that desire to grab a piece. And I never thought I could do that. I guess the way I went about it, is I took it day by day and said to myself, how long can I go without sweets or fast food? I just wanted to challenge myself and once I hit a month without them, I wanted to keep up the streak I was on.

But that's just me. I know it's different for everyone. And I wish you all the luck in your journey!
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to limit the amount of processed foods in my diet as well. Sure, I make exceptions (which aren't that often) especially if I'm out celebrating, but I am VERY mindful of what I'm eating.

Before my accident (was left with a nasty concussion) I was eating very clean, and exercising. I felt SO incredible! I do have to say eating cleaner in combination of a good dose of daily exercise helped me drop pounds quicker. I'm not saying this is the "miracle diet" but once you've got the knack for it, your desire for fatty processed foods diminishes, and all those calories add up quick!

Good luck to you!

You may want to check out the magazine "Clean Eating." It's a little pricey, but I LOVE it!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Good for you making such a great change at a pace you can live with! I went cold turkey on the chemicals and sugar too and don't regret it. There was just no other way to get past the cravings if I didn't. I'm honestly amazed at how well it worked but the first 3 days were hard. I truly feel better than I ever have. Keep hanging in there! A bit here and there sounds realistic and not depriving yourself completely will help you stay on track. I hope you notice changes in how you feel very soon!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You will probably feel like crap for the first few days. Possibly longer - as it is like going through a detox. I started the 17 day diet back in November - which is NO sugar or any processed foods. It is harder mentally than anything for me. My body feels a thousand times better without sugar, wheat and gluten and less salt. My skin looks better, digestion is much improved and I have no more bloating. When I "cheat", I can feel it.. kind of like a food hangover.
    If you can go cold turkey - I'd reccommend it. When you think of and start to look into all the chemicals, dyes, sugars and unhealthy stuff in our North American food - it starts to seem pretty toxic.
    I started drinking a ton more water (overweight people are chronically dehydrated), green tea and taking vitamins at the same time.
    Eating better food and taking supplements (particularly a probiotic, fibre, vitamin B complex and vitamin D) made me think that if I'm doing all this I can't screw it up with unhealthy food - or what would be the point? For me.. it is all a mental game and everyday I have to tell myself that food is no big deal.. it is just fuel for my body.