Attention college students!!

Options
I just discovered Green Giant Veggie Steamers. Its a bag of veggies (among other things) that you just pop in the microwave for 5 minutes and then eat. You can eat it right out of the bag if you really want to. They're pretty low cal and there's a big variety. I just ate broccoli and rice. They even have one with pasta (didn't look at the calories on that) Its perfect for someone stuck in a dorm without a kitchen or even those of us who are just too lazy to cook. I think its the perfect way for us college students to get our veggies.

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I've seen those, always been intrigued by them... I usually use the zip lock zip and steam bags so I can choose what I want to put in it... Thanks, i'll have to give em a try!

~Leash :heart:
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Mmmm, I love those.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    what is the sodium content of one serving?... anyone "too lazy to cook" isn't serious about getting healthy in my opinion. Theres nothing lazy about getting healthy.
  • emlarso1
    Options
    Actually, the sodium content is pretty low, about 20 mg per serving...they are frozen hence they do not have to use a lot of sodium to preserve the product.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Actually, the sodium content is pretty low, about 20 mg per serving...they are frozen hence they do not have to use a lot of sodium to preserve the product.

freezing food has nothing to do with sodium content. There is plenty of frozen food with high amounts of sodium, next time you're in the freezer section of the grocery store have a look. If you're under the impression that sodium only comes from preservatives, think again. That's why I was curious.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    what is the sodium content of one serving?... anyone "too lazy to cook" isn't serious about getting healthy in my opinion. Theres nothing lazy about getting healthy.

I'm assuming the original poster wasn't saying that she, or anyone else is *too lazy* to cook on a regular basis. However, unless you're super human, there are nights where you don't end up with the amount of time you initially intended, or you're sick, a child is sick, soccer practice runs late, etc. etc. etc... there are a number of other reasons- rarely, not regularly, where you may find yourself either wanting or needing a quick meal. If Green Giant has already put these veggies in a microwavable bag (doesn't seem like they've beefed them up with much (if anything)- I don't believe there are chemicals, unnatural ingredients, or a boat load of sodium in them- just veggies... just an attempt to make life easier, plain and simple), then why re-invent the wheel? I think that's all she meant...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love them. Only ingredients are the veggies. I commend you for trying to eat healthy with just a micro and a mini fridge!! Good for you : )
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Frozen veggies are just as good as fresh. Most have nothing added and taste fresh
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Sounds great for last minute, running low on time foods or yeah for college kids who don't have time to really cook on a little hot plate. I'll pass that on to my college daughter:tongue: She's always raiding my WW meals:drinker: :heart:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options

The sodium content is dependent upon which one of the different varieties you choose.
    If you notice I was addressing college students. I am fortunate enough to live in an apartment where I have a kitchen but many college students are stuck in dorms with just a microwave. This is the perfect solution for college students looking to get healthy but not having a way to make veggies.

Now I HATE cooking so I try to avoid it if I can. I know there's no way around it but simple things like bagged veggies just make my day all that much better because I don't have to cook them and I can do something productive while I'm waiting for them in the microwave. I'm not "too lazy" but I just hate wasting my precious time when I could be doing something better. I don't think that makes me any less serious about getting healthy than someone who cooks every meal.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    As long as we are talking about veggies and sodium, a word to the wise. There is another brand called "Pictsweet"--they also cook in the bag in a microwave. I have seen them at my local Walmart (Pacific coast) and other groceries. They cost a little less than the Green Giant brand, but BEWARE!! They have PLENTY of sodium:angry::grumble:

When in doubt, no matter how busy/lazy, or whatver you are, READ THE LABEL!! It will help you avoid unpleasant surprises, sodium or otherwise.

Healthy eating to all, and to all a good night:wink:
  • dyf11710
    dyf11710 Posts: 19
    Options
    Actually, you guys are quite wrong about the sodium content in these microwaveable packages. The ones that includes just vegtables, not pasta or anything are very low in sodium, like under 20 mg. Not all frozen food is created equal.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options

The sodium content is dependent upon which one of the different varieties you choose.
    If you notice I was addressing college students. I am fortunate enough to live in an apartment where I have a kitchen but many college students are stuck in dorms with just a microwave. This is the perfect solution for college students looking to get healthy but not having a way to make veggies.

Now I HATE cooking so I try to avoid it if I can. I know there's no way around it but simple things like bagged veggies just make my day all that much better because I don't have to cook them and I can do something productive while I'm waiting for them in the microwave. I'm not "too lazy" but I just hate wasting my precious time when I could be doing something better. I don't think that makes me any less serious about getting healthy than someone who cooks every meal.

Many soldiers in barracks have only a microwave and a small fridge, and no time to spend cooking in the community kitchen, let alone utensils, so this sounds like a good alternative, even if it isn't the "best."

I've raised my kids eating "clean," however, my two oldest are in the Army and it's been extremely difficult for them to get the nutritious meals they are used to, so I understand the dilemma that college students and soldiers have when making food choices.

PS... Just an li'l thought: adopt a soldier that's deployed and send them nutritious snacks and foods, as well as encouraging notes! They will soooo appreciate it!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Actually, you guys are quite wrong about the sodium content in these microwaveable packages. The ones that includes just vegtables, not pasta or anything are very low in sodium, like under 20 mg. Not all frozen food is created equal.

Yet another reason to "read the label" then you know what you actually are getting.:flowerforyou:

And by the way, as I mentioned in my previous post, there IS a brand out there that has just vegetables that is high in sodium. IE--The Pictsweet Summer vegetables cracked pepper seasoned has 250 mg sodium in 3/4 of a cup, and there is no pasta in the package. Their spring vegetables with asparagus has 200 mg of sodium in 3/4 of a cup.

So I would say , "not all frozen vegetables are created equal":smile:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    if money is also an issue, I think buying the ziploc steam bags and then the plain frozen or fresh veggies could save some money. I noticed the ones in their own steam bags are more expensive. The ziploc steam bags come in different sizes and you can even use them for poultry and seafood.

I always check the labels of everything I buy, better safe than sorry. lol

Demetria
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    I use the Birds Eye microwaveable packs. They heat in just 5-10 minutes and are healthy.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    if money is also an issue, I think buying the ziploc steam bags and then the plain frozen or fresh veggies could save some money. I noticed the ones in their own steam bags are more expensive. The ziploc steam bags come in different sizes and you can even use them for poultry and seafood.

I always check the labels of everything I buy, better safe than sorry. lol

Demetria

Thanks demetria. I thought about this but once I bought the steam baggies, and the baggies to put the open bag of veggies in, I figured I broke even.

I do like the steamer bags though. I throw in chicken, brocc, onions and seasoning and have the perfect lunch!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Yet another reason to "read the label" then you know what you actually are getting.:flowerforyou:

And by the way, as I mentioned in my previous post, there IS a brand out there that has just vegetables that is high in sodium. IE--The Pictsweet Summer vegetables cracked pepper seasoned has 250 mg sodium in 3/4 of a cup, and there is no pasta in the package. Their spring vegetables with asparagus has 200 mg of sodium in 3/4 of a cup.

So I would say , "not all frozen vegetables are created equal":smile:

I will watch for this, as I had not idea any of the quick frozen just veggies had added sodium. Thanks for pointing that out:flowerforyou: