Help for my underweight 13 yr old

Options
First let me state that my daughter DOES NOT have an eating disorder, but she is slightly underweight and her eating habits are NOT great. Meaning she has a great breakfast of something like eggs or such and dinner is whatever I cook for the family at home. But lunch at school (middle school), she eats poorly. We talked yesterday of possible foods that she can take for lunch rather than pudding cups and potato chips. She thinks sandwiches are GROSS after sitting for a couple of hours before she can actually eat them at lunch.

My question is what healthy suggestions can you share that she can take for her lunches at school? Keep in mind, she is a VEGETARIAN.

Replies

• EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    Meat! Nah, I'm just kidding. I just wanted to be the FIRST to say it because inevitably, at least 100 more are going to! ;) I've been enjoying my english muffin, peanut butter and apple lunches. You can stack them all together or whatever. Do they have access to microwaves? If so, I have a couple of veggie pasta recipes that freeze/fridge and reheat well I could give you - and they're totally easy to make! I can give you my whole meat-less list I made before Lent if you want. :) There are several frozen meals - Lean Cuisine, Michalina's, etc. - that are veggie friendly. When I was in jr high, my bff and I would eat 12-20 packs of wheat crackers and a coke for lunch just about everyday. Tho, I wasn't raily either. Just saying that it might not be anything to worry about, just a phase.
    Katie doesn't eat a lot of meat either and takes her lunch MOST of the time, and I usually send her a big variety of things because she has to wait 20-30 mins after school for me to get her and she likes to have a snack. Our usual variety is: pizza lunchables (tho they can be pricey), yogurt (especially GoGurt), pretzels, goldfish/whales, peanutbutter/cheese crackers, fruit, string cheese, fiber one brownies, cereal/granola bars, fruit snacks/rollups/by the foot, rice crispy treats. She usually has at least 5 of these things (plus a water bottle) in her lunch box everyday. Of course, sometimes she shares/trades and usually there is something left over, but that way I know she's not gonna open that bag and think "I'm not in the mood for THIS." There will be something that will look good. (I pack my own lunch and snacks with the same thought in mind. LOL)
    And, what if you pack the "components" for a sandwich separately and she can build it herself? Would she do that? Idk, since I'm not cool enough for middle school. LOL!
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    Maybe you should chat with her about this, she'll listen to you!! Hehe!! And glad you were the first to comment!! She's so silly, anything I suggest, she has some reason why it won't work!!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much. If she's eating fine at home, one meal of crap isn't great but she'll be fine.

I have a tiny little 13 year old too and she's the exact same way. I encourage her to eat fruits and veggies and her school *does* have a salad bar, so I know she'll eat some of that. But........I just do my best to make sure she's getting good food at home. I know that with what she gets at home, she's getting the nutrients she needs.

And, also, her dad and I were both small kids too. I'm not super worried about that.........she's healthy and otherwise ok,
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Here's our story....

My daughter is also underweight from birth. We have used a nutritionist off and on so let me tell you what I think was the most important thing I learned.

It is you job as a parent to provide good nutritional choices- it is her job to eat them. Pushing- fighting and over controlling food just leads to eating disorders and unhappy parents and children.

What we do is add healthy calories to her breakfast/snacks and dinners and she controls lunch. We explain healthy eating to all our kids- the importance of ..... (all those things we already know). Ultimately that have to learn to make their own choices.

She eats a lot of nuts, we let her make her own trail mix and she snacks on it at school!

Good luck!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    How about investing in a lunch box with a sort of cooler/ice pack in it? I got a great one at Target for $10--keeps sandwiches (and other foods like cottage cheese, cut raw vegetables, string cheese, fruit) from getting funky after sitting at room temperature. :flowerforyou: Plus, the lunch box is so cute, I can't help but want to pack my lunch (and I'm in college--it's miraculous).
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    Amber mentioned it to me in front of her when we were together a few weeks back. She just gave me "the 'I'm so sick of hearing this' look", so I let it go. LOL! I think Sunflower said it best - just give her good choices and let her decide. You know you can't force a teenager, we each used to be one! When I was eating all those crackers, it was just because I wasn't really hungry. She'll get it together, especially since she can't eat anymore nutty bars... you like where I'm going with that? ;)
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    Amber mentioned it to me in front of her when we were together a few weeks back. She just gave me "the 'I'm so sick of hearing this' look", so I let it go. LOL! I think Sunflower said it best - just give her good choices and let her decide. You know you can't force a teenager, we each used to be one! When I was eating all those crackers, it was just because I wasn't really hungry. She'll get it together, especially since she can't eat anymore nutty bars... you like where I'm going with that? ;)

Haha, YES!
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!!
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What about things like sunflower seeds, cheese or peanut butter and crackers, apple and caramel dip, what about the flavored rice cakes? Girls at that age are pretty self conscious as they are still figuring out who they are and are often affected by what their peers think.
  • butilovechocolate
    Options
    I know she doesn't like sandwiches after they've sat in a lunch box, but maybe she could pack the sandwich supplies separately to make the sandwich at lunch.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    My kids like to snack on things like cashews, peanuts, or peanut butter roll ups (whole wheat tortillas with peanut butter in them). Sometimes I put peanut butter and nutella in them. Also, maybe something like Ensure drinks? The chocolate ones are pretty good. However, if she's eating properly two out of three times a day, then it isn't a total wash....
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My boys don't eat their lunches at school because they are "too busy". I still pack them sandwiches everyday for my peace of mind, throw in a muffin and some biscuits which always get eaten. As long as they have a good breakfast and have plenty of healthy choices when they raid everything in the house afterwards, then I don't see it as a problem anymore. My 15 year old looks extremely underweight, people are amazed at how much he can eat so sometimes it's just in the genes, I was skinny without even trying up until I had kids, my brother cannot put weight on.
  • icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with your daughters sandwich dislike. When I made sandwiches I would take all the ingredients in mini plastic dishes.Then, made the sandwiches just before i ate them.

Alternatively, how about something like Asian rice balls (onigiri/ kimbap). I'm sure you can find info online.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    what about a thermos with some soup or pasta in it?? keeps it warm and tasty :) sandwiches are nasty, i agree with her >< or a tupaware container with a salad in it? or pita bread with spinach and humus in it :) very tasty and doest get all limp and gross!
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    Great ideas!! I'll try some of these out!! Thx so so so much!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sabra makes single packs of hummus that she could take with whole grain crackers or apple slices or veggie sticks.

Peanut butter with those same dippers would be good too.

Does she eat dairy? If so, cottage cheese or yogurt would be good options.

Bean salads (rinse canned beans or frozen edamame and mix with chopped crunchy vegetables and a vinegrette) would also be a healthy option.
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    Sabra makes single packs of hummus that she could take with whole grain crackers or apple slices or veggie sticks.

Peanut butter with those same dippers would be good too.

Does she eat dairy? If so, cottage cheese or yogurt would be good options.

Bean salads (rinse canned beans or frozen edamame and mix with chopped crunchy vegetables and a vinegrette) would also be a healthy option.

I must find these single hummus packs!!! Love!! For me, not sure about her, LOL!! Thanks for your help!
  • tfancey
    tfancey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes = delicious. By the time I hit about 10, my mom stopped packing "lunches" and my lunchbox was basically filled with healthy snacks because I'd eat them... We're big believers here that its better to be eating something than nothing at all :)
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Some wonderful things you can prepare for her (depending on her wants) are bean/rice dishes. Most schools will let a student warm up meals and those are high protein items that can help her gain some weight. Make sure that whatever you prepare are high fiber, high protein ( like nuts and trail mix) but HEALTHY. Don't send your kid to school with a candy bar or sugary drink. Take her to the store and let her pick out her own nuts that she likes and there is a lot of bite sized candy (like m&ms) and make trail mix. It can be healthy as long as you watch how much candy is being put into the mix. As for the meals, if she likes things like spaghetti or lasagna those are things that can be made meat free. Also, have you tried to prepare any tofu meals for her? Other snack options include nutella (which has a chocolate taste) and peanut butter.
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lots of places sell single serve packets of peanut butter or hummus, throw in a tortilla, some fruit or veggies, and you have a diy kit for one very fresh sandwich. I'm also a big fan of the Naked brand smoothies, one bottle makes a nice lunch on the go for those of us who aren't always keen to munch down lots of solid food. Does her school offer access to a microwave or hot water dispenser? My high school had those and I often relied on instant soup or oatmeal with some fruit. Hope this helps!

ps- I know Target stocks the peanut butter and nutella single serve packs, and usually sabra hummus cups are in the prepared deli section of the grocery store. :)