7+ hours at work without food. Need a filling smoothie recip

Options
I am starting a new job soon and 3 days a week I will not have a lunch break (working from 7:30-3). I will eat breakfast around 6am and then plan on having a banana or filling granola bar with me at 7:20 to eat right before the day starts. At 3 when I am finished work I will have an apple or PB on whole wheat or something similar to eat on my way home from work. But, I am nervous about going so long without any food. I will be the new girl there and don't want to snack on something in the middle of the day because it may look like I am slacking off at my job BUT it is completely acceptable to have water bottles/coffee mugs, etc. So,, I am trying to find a filling smoothie recipe that I can make the night before and put in a bottle to bring with em the next day so I can have a drinkable lunch around noon that will hold me over until 3 when I can eat something else. We have a refrigerator at work so I can keep it cold until noon. Anyone have any recipes? Preferably I want something easy to make and that wont be too expensive to make.

Anyone else have to g 7+ hours without food during work?

Replies

• brywal1
    brywal1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm currently student teaching and I have never been one to eat first thing when I wake up. What I have taken to doing is blending 1 c of frozen fruit and 1 cup of milk and taking that with me and drinking it during first period. I also drink the carnation breakfast thing / slim fast and any of those can fill me up until 10:00 for "lunch".

Hope this helps!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, most smoothies don't really do well overnight. I would think that something that was pure fruit.........but sitting out for a few hours might still be kind of yucky. I guess I'd try maybe a berry mix with a little lime and banana and see how that handled.

And........I don't know where you are, but I don't know many places where it's legal to make someone work 7 hours with no breaks. :(
  • dg114
    dg114 Posts: 16
    Options
    I can make the smoothie in the morning too if you think that is better. I would need it to last until 11:30ish in the refrigerator though. Also I am technically choosing not to take a lunch just because it is what works best with my overall schedule.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Elvis - peanut butter, banana, Hershey's light chocolate syrup, 4 oz yogurt, 4 oz skim milk, and ice (I use vanilla yogurt, you can use greek yogurt for the protein.)
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I can make the smoothie in the morning too if you think that is better. I would need it to last until 11:30ish in the refrigerator though. Also I am technically choosing not to take a lunch just because it is what works best with my overall schedule.

Yeah, I've never had a ton of luck with making smoothies the night before.

The MOST FILLING one that I make is a cup of almond milk, a cup of berries, a scoop of protein powder, and a half cup of chopped kale. You can squeeze a bit of lime or orange juice if the kale tastes too green for you. It works out pretty huge and the kale and protein both really keep me feeling super full for a long time. And it's about 200 calories. :)
  • sweeney65
    sweeney65 Posts: 24
    Options
    i'm not big on smoothies. but if you get a good thermos, you can probably keep soup hot for a few hours. my stainless steel thing keeps my coffee HOT if i don't open it. i'd imagine it works just as well with a brothy soup.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What kind of job doesn't give you a lunch break? That's dumb.