For those that have reached their goal weight

Options
For those that have reached their goal weight, could you please share a few of the items below:

1) what was your starting weight?
2) what was your goal weight?
3) how long did it take to achieve your goal weight?
4) what were some of your go-to meals?
5) what foods did you avoid like the plague?
6) what was your daily calorie intake?
7) what did your exercise regiment look like?
8) How have you successfully kept the weight off?

It's hard to trust what a book, magazine, or website tells you. I like to get real answers from real people.

Thank you

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm way off of my goal but look forward to what people post here :-)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    1) 175 approximately
    2) 135
    3) About 4 months (10lbs per month)
    4) I made a lot of soup. Turkey albondigas soup, hawaiian ginger chicken stew, moroccan vegetable soup. I also made a lot of prepared summer salads and took them into work for lunch. Dinner was usually baked chicken breast and vegetables with rice.
    5) Anything fried. I did occasionally eat chocolate, I only drank alcohol rarely, but I didn't eat fast food ONCE in those 4 months.
    6) About 1300, in retrospect this was too low for the amount I was exercising, I have been eating more since then.
    7) 3-4 days a week kickboxing, 2-3 days a week on the elliptical for 45 minutes, weight training 2-3 days a week for an hour
    8) It's still off 5 years later. Maintenance is difficult to figure out, takes time to achieve, and varies from person to person. But I'm still very active with martial arts and I'm aware of my diet even if I don't obsess about it anymore. I gained 5lbs back but I find that 140 is a lot easier for me to maintain than 135 and the difference is negligible. You may find your original target weight isn't one that feels good for you.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    1) what was your starting weight? 249.8

2) what was your goal weight? 140

3) how long did it take to achieve your goal weight? Which time?? haha I reach my goal about once a year and I cannot maintain it. I'm working hard on that. The first time it took me about a year.

4) what were some of your go-to meals? I go in spurts. I always make meatloaf muffins for the family as a go to meal. I try to have a meat, vegetable, and whole grain at each supper for the family. For me my go to's for lunches etc are easy salads, cucumber sandwiches, plain tuna, I eat 6 small meals each day and try to fill up like crazy on protein and fiber.

5) what foods did you avoid like the plague? Pizza, crackers, macaroni and cheese

6) what was your daily calorie intake? 1200

7) what did your exercise regiment look like? I learned that whatever you do for exercise while you are losing, plan to do the same to maintain. It is so hard to maintain. I do at least 45 min of cardio a day. I know that doesn't seem like a lot to most of you but its what fits in this busy moms schedule. That's my goal but I often do more.

8) How have you successfully kept the weight off? Im still working on this. I have kept it off for the most part but its a daily struggle.
  • mse123
    mse123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1. Starting Weight, 205
    2. Goal Weight 190
    3. approx 3-4 weeks to get to 190, then went to 175, but now staying at 180
    4. 1/2 cup dry oats, blueberries, almonds and non fat milk for breakfast, carrots, fruit for snacks,
    5. Watch your calories on the MFP counter
    6. 1680 cals per day
    7. Monday / Wednesday strength train for approx. (1) hr, and spin class for (1) hr., Friday lap swim, Saturday, spin class
    8. So Far so good for maintaining, BUT no stopping on workout schedule, and staying with 2000 calories per day for maintaining !
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    1) what was your starting weight? 175

2) what was your goal weight? 145

3) how long did it take to achieve your goal weight? 1 week short of 1 year

4) what were some of your go-to meals? I am an avid home cook so I change it up a lot. I used EatingWell.com for inspiration for many recipes. Almonds and plain Greek yogurt (Fage) were and still are staple snacks of mine.

5) what foods did you avoid like the plague? None for losing weight reasons. Before losing weight I was already a fairly healthy eater. I always ate lots of vegetables, stuck to lean meats, rarely drank soda, rarely ate fast food, cooked most of my meals, etc. I have always avoided (pre-MFP) and continue to avoid artificial ingredients, food additives, preservatives, etc.

6) what was your daily calorie intake? I started at 1200, which was too little and I plateaued badly...then went to 1400 where I stayed until the last 10 pounds where I was eating just under 1500 plus exercise calories. For the record, I am 5'7" tall.

7) what did your exercise regiment look like? Walked daily for 1 mile briskly with my dog every morning which took me through the first 20 pounds. In the last 10 pounds I started doing pilates 2x/week in addition to my daily walk. So nothing crazy by any means.

8) How have you successfully kept the weight off? Honestly, maintenance in my opinion is harder than losing. You have no target weight that you are focusing on. When losing weight, I was motivated by progress- pants were getting too big, the scale was going down. Maintenance has none of that. Your goal is to stay the same, forever. I am trying to focus on some fitness goals instead or weight related goals.
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    1) what was your starting weight? 187
    2) what was your goal weight? 144
    3) how long did it take to achieve your goal weight? 10 months
    4) what were some of your go-to meals? Morning Shakes, Lunch salads and fruits, dinners were chicken, vegetables and a whole grain. I also added a morning snack and an afternoon snack
    5) what foods did you avoid like the plague?all fast food, heavily processed foods, sodas and sugary foods. I try to shop only around the perimeter of the grocery stores.
    6) what was your daily calorie intake? started with 1350 and after a few months went to 1650. 1350 was leaving me just to hungry.
    7) what did your exercise regiment look like? M,W,F - strength training (heavy weights) and T,Th Walking but I quickly progressed to running.
    8) How have you successfully kept the weight off? Keeping my calorie intake equal to or lower than my calorie out put. For me it was a lifestyle change and not a diet. I went in and cleaned out my pantry and my cupboards. I am the only cook in my house and all of my children have moved out. I don't have to worry about pleasing anyone but myself and my husband (and he will eat anything as long as he doesn't have to fix it). We don't eat out as much as we used to and all treats are thought about before they are consumed. I try to be aware of what I am eating and not munch out of habit. I try and pack food where ever I go, so I don't get hungry and if I do I have something I know what it was made from and how many calories are in it.
    As you can see I can ramble on for ever on this subject but I won't.
    Just remember, reaching your goal weight can be the easiest part. Staying there is a whole other battle.

Good luck on your journey.
  • mtnultra
    mtnultra Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Your replies have been very helpful.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    1) what was your starting weight? 181

2) what was your goal weight? 137 (at 128 right now)

3) how long did it take to achieve your goal weight? about 8 months

4) what were some of your go-to meals? lean protein, veggies, good carbs

5) what foods did you avoid like the plague? Nothing, I eat in moderation. I have things I crave once in while.

6) what was your daily calorie intake? Did Weight Watchers (point system)

7) what did your exercise regiment look like? 3 days a week includes heavy weights and cardio

8) How have you successfully kept the weight off? see above^^^ :smile:
  • cj4kids
    cj4kids Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight a couple of months ago (having lost 52lbs) and am having real trouble getting maintenance right!
    I only know it in kilos but my start weight was 89kgs, goal was to be 69kgs. Lost a bit more whilst trying to get maintance right, am still struggling with that. I was at just under 66kgs and that felt perfect, but now I've put a bit back on and am trying to find my balance.
    It took me 5 months to get there, much of the last 2 of that was spent on 1200 calories (quite happily). Then I had real trouble eating enough once I went onto maintenance, and kept losing, another 3kgs under my original goal. Then I got used to it, but am gaining on my supposed maintenance calories (1750). I actually think this is the hardest phase as its more of a balance, I want to get this right and stay around where I am, but its difficult to figure it out - most people would say that the 1600-1700 calories I think I probably need to be at, doesn't sound like much, but if I'm putting on at 1750 but losing at 1500, I still need to find the perfect number in between there!
    My go-to meals are actually the same as what I was eating before, but with portion control! I never ate particularly unhealthily, I just ate way too much.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    1) what was your starting weight?
    160. Possibly a little more since I didn't weigh myself for the first week or so.

2) what was your goal weight?
    Initially 135, then 130, then 126 then I stopped giving a damn about the number on the scale since I gained a little bit of weight and still got smaller.

3) how long did it take to achieve your goal weight?
    Six months to 135, seven to 130.

4) what were some of your go-to meals?
    DiGiorno pizza at least once a week. But mostly chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, with rice or pasta.

5) what foods did you avoid like the plague?
    Nothing! The only thing I stopped eating was Pop Tarts, once I realized that one tart was considered a serving.

6) what was your daily calorie intake?
    About 1350 plus exercise calories until I was within 10 pounds of my goal, then about 1500 plus exercise calories. Often around 1800-2000 total.

7) what did your exercise regiment look like?
    Running 3-4 times a week, strength training 2-3 times a week.

8) How have you successfully kept the weight off?
    Yep! About ten months and counting.
  • mtnultra
    mtnultra Posts: 13
    Options
    bump