My 60lb weight loss success story, at 51 years old.

Options
I’m Bobbie and I’ve been an athlete inside all my life but it was just covered in a layer of fat. I am currently 51 years old and I started my fitness quest when I was 19 years old. I took an aerobics class and the instructor was 50 years old but had the body of a strong and fit teenager. I vowed I would be like her when I was 50. Over the years I ran and lifted weights, I practiced martial arts, ran marathons, hiked, skied, and biked. Over the decades the weight piled on. I kept on working out harder and harder thinking I would lose the weight but it kept growing. I tried diets, lost, then gained, lost, then gained, the typical yo-yo story. At age 48 I finally reached my peak of 171 lbs at 5’1″. I had chronic back pain and thyroid and adrenal fatigue. I kept working out and running one marathon after the next thinking maybe this time it will work. Nope, the weight stayed on. Everyone told me to give up, this is what happens when you get older. I never gave up.

The problem is we eat too much. Our society has an overabundance of food and the smaller you are the less you need to eat. I’m small. I never realized how small until I finally lost the weight. I had the muscle and I always thought I had big bones because of my size but when I lost the weight I learned this is not true. I have strong bones from lifting and a healthy diet, but they are not necessarily “big”.

It took me two years to lose 60 lbs. The secret; eat less and move more. It is not easy but it is simple and sustainable and it works. I have found I need MyFitnessPal to help me walk the fine line in maintenance, to eat enough to be health yet not too much as to go back to what I once was.

I've been using myfitnesspal since January but just now am making friends here and participating in the forums. I am LOVING it here.

Replies

• WenonaY
    WenonaY Posts: 203
    Options
    Thats awesome! If thats you in your picture then I really want to look like you when I'm 50. Keep up the good work.
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Good for you!!

Who is the model in your avatar?
  • fitislandgirl
    fitislandgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration my beautiful friend!!! :) *HUGS*
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    californiagirl2012, you look terrific, hats off to you. If you don't mind saying. whats the rough calorie range you eat a day?

I know you do lift, do you also do cardio?
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    NM on cardio, I see running for 120 min in your Profile Exercise log. :) Helps to look

So What is your average workout days roughly

How many days a week lifting
    How many days a week cardio?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's me in the picture. My first fitness model photo shoot ever! It really is me. I just entered the pictures in a contest.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    MFP has me at 1200 calories a day. I ignore the extra workout calories. I ate a little less to lean out for my photo shoot at a slow calorie deficit since January and the picture shoot was 3 weeks ago. Now I'm back up to maintenance calories per MFP. The exercises I log, I put weight training in with cardio on here because entering the reps in a pain.

I workout 60-90 minutes with weights, 5-6 days a week, taking breaks whenever needed. I run 5-6 miles 4 times a week, some of that includes 24 minutes of HIIT, some days just an easy run. On the alternate days for cardio I do the stair-master at an easy pace for 30 minutes (I like the tall escalator type machine where you actually take steps up).
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I would never guess in a million years you were 50! I totally want to be like you! You rock!
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Anyone can do what I did. It's just eating the right amount of calories for YOU to maintain or lose, and keep moving doing what you love with exercise.

I LOVE running and working out. It is my passion.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Do you have any before photos?
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I am speechless.AMAZING...I am so happy i have been weight lifting since September...If this is what is possible i cant wait!
  • write2sonya
    write2sonya Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    WOW a true inspiration and motivation for all us all regardless of age! Your photos are amazing and your muscle definition is remarkable. Thank you for mentioning some of the tips that worked for you…. Every bit of information is helpful!

~Sonya
    P.S. Friend request sent!! :happy:
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    I will attach a couple of before photos to my gallery on my profile. Not sure how to do it here. I avoided the camera when I was overweight, but I happen to have some NOT IN BIKINI though!!! LOL
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    >><<
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Ok I attached two before pictures to my profile gallery. I will also try and see if I can attach them to my post.
  • DaringAdventure
    DaringAdventure Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are my new HERO! I am 48 now and want to be at my goal weight before my 50th birthday. That means 40 pounds in 18 months. You are proof that I can get there. I started using MFP March 3rd and am totally addicted to this website. Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the fantastic work!
  • hsnbro
    hsnbro Posts: 55
    Options
    we are all so proud of you - you are an inspiration to us all!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post! Your story and pictures proves to me that I can do this at my age. You look awesome!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you look fantastic!! very inspirational to me!
  • DrGeriK
    DrGeriK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting your story. I just recently turned 53 and have been overweight for about 25 years. Like you, diet tried etc. to no avail. Even though I'm a doctor, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing weight. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (a form of hypothyroid) so I blamed my lack of weight loss on that and age. Have been working out for 1 1/2 years to lose only 7 lbs. My two wonderful Zumba instructors helped me realize that I had to watch my diet and that weight loss is 70-80% diet related. I've been using this site, Zumba, bike riding, weight lifting and using The Eat Clean Diet and since February I've lost an additional 7 lbs. I have been thinking back to my childhood and realized how much eating has changed in this country. McDonald's, Burger King etc were 'treats' for us when we were kids, now a days it's a normal diet for most. I just never really realized how much fat, calories etc was in all that type of food. Now, like you, I am eating so much less and feeling a lot better. My body doesn't have to use extra energy to digest and store that extra food. My goal is to lose another 79 lbs and have muscle definition. Well I better go! Need to do my weight lifting routine since I didn't get to it this morning. Keep up the great work ladies. It WILL be worth it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!