A Comprehensive Guide to Whey

Options
One of the most common threads on MFP is about whey, ranging from what type to how much to anything. If you want to know everything about whey, this is it. It's not short, so bare with me but you'll leave knowing too much about whey. I have bolded and underlined main topics, so if you want to skip over something then just find what you want.

If you have questions then ask. I apologize if I missed something.

Whey Myths

Whey is surrounded by a lot of myths and this is because of misinformed medical doctors and aggressive supplement companies.

Myth #1 - Whey is unhealthy
There is this idea that everything processed is bad. This simply is not true. Whey is just the by-product of cheese. To say whey is unhealthy because it's processed is the same as saying is cheese is unhealthy because it's a milk by-product and is also processed. You can have whey and you can have it in very large amounts with little-to-no side effects. Additionally, it is a complete protein source with very high concentrations of amino acids. It's just an awesome source of protein but I'll address its other benefits further down.

Myth #2 - Whey should be consumed quickly post-workout
First, I want to point out that the immediacy of post-workout whey is not necessary. People say around 30 minutes is the perfect window of opportunity. This is simply not true. Simply consume protein whenever is convenient for you and the effects will be similar. Furthermore, it does NOT have to be whey.

As a side note, eating a pre-workout meal 2-3 hours before lifting means you probably still have nutrients going into the workout, which further diminishes the need for immediate post-workout food.

Now, people say whey is best around this time because it digests at a rate of 8-10g of protein per hour, which is one of the fastest digesting proteins. As such, they don't suggest eating whey any other time of the day, which, again, is just nonsense. The fact of the matter is, whey is fine whenever you need a source of protein. I have one-three scoops a day whenever I want because it's convenient, affordable, and allows me to hit my protein intake for the day.

There is some validity to having whey post-workout. In the end, keep it simple. Just take a shake and some carbohydrates post-workout when it's convenient. You don't need it within a 30 minute window or some arbitrary number. If you don't want to do that then milk or a meal is sufficient. Ultimately, simplicity and manageability rules.

Myth #3 - Whey is the best muscle-building protein
There's no such thing as a best food for building muscle and whey is no exception. This myth originates because whey has a great biological value, high digestion rate, high source of protein, and a great source of amino acids. If your diet is fairly diverse, you probably aren't missing out on amino acids. You don't need whey to improve muscle growth. Any complete source of protein (i.e. meat) will do just fine. Despite this, I think whey is a fantastic source of protein and most people would probably benefit from having it. Just recognize that there are no magical properties to whey and that only a caloric surplus with HARD WORK will build muscle. As a side note, Lyle McDonald has noted that his favourite sources of proteins are dairy products (not whey) since they have a nice blend of slow digesting and fast digesting as well as a plethora of nutrients.

Myth #4 - You NEED Whey
You don't need anything. Just because whey is tightly linked to muscle building, working out, athletics, etc. does not make it necessary.

Types of Whey and Processes

Types of Whey
(1) Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) - This is simply a less pure protein. Usually whey concentrates at 70-80% protein by weight.
(2) Whey Isolates (WPI) - This is a purer form. By weight, they are usually a minimum 90% protein.
(3) Hydrolysates - This is protein that has gone through hydrolysis that makes them quicker to metabolize.

Whey Concentrate vs. Isolates: A lot of people say isolates are better and this is not true. WPCs tend to have more fat and lactose but that does not make it inferior. WPIs tend to be much purer per scoop, so you get less lactose, less fat, and more protein per serving. In the end, chose the one that you prefer. If you are more sensitive to lactose and want better macronutrient profile then purchase WPI. But remember that this comes at a cost.

Should I buy hydrolyzed whey? No. There's no greater benefit to this and the process is more expensive. Do not be coaxed into purchasing a whey just because it's hydrolyzed. Your protein doesn't need to be the fastest digesting protein on the face of the planet.

Casein: This is not whey but it's worth mentioning. This has become quite popular because it's a slow digesting protein as it tends to sit in the gut and slowly raise amino acid levels in the blood. As such, people believe this to be perfect as a meal replacement or before bed since there will be a more even flow of casein. To an extent, this is true. If you go long periods of time without eating then casein can be kind of valuable. Furthermore, whey is probably more valuable post-workout than casein. Note that casein is quite expensive in comparison to your run-of-the-mill WPC but it also produces thicker drinks than WPCs and WPIs.

What about milk?: Milk is a great source of protein and it's largely casein with some whey. Don't want all that fancy shamncy whey and casein then just settle for good ol' milk.

Whey Processes

(1) Ion Exchange: This a chemical process that gives you a purer resulting whey but, unfortunately, some protein fractions are pH sensitive and therefore damaged. What makes whey unique is its subfractions and if we destroy them then there isn't anything particularly unique about drinking whey. For your average person who just wants more protein and doesn't care about the potential benefits of whey then it's fine to settle for an ion-exchange whey. Be wary though as it has a higher concentration of beta-lactoglobulin, which is the most allergenic subfraction.

(2) Microfiltered/Ultarfiltered: This is a non-chemical process that uses ceramic filters. The result is perserved biological subfractions, lower lactose, and lower fat. This is a superior process to ion-exchange but it is more expensive. If you don't mind spending the extra few bucks (not very much), this is the recommended option.

(3) Cross-Flow Microfiltration: This process is the most expensive and results in more calcium, less sodium, and a greater concentration of protein with almost no lactose and fat. This is pretty much the Cadillac of whey processes. As a note, this is more expensive than any other process and not particularly necessary. Micro/ultrafiltration is sufficient.

Which one should I get?
Get the one that makes a difference to you. I consume a lot of whey protein, so I need something affordable. I have found whey that is microfiltered and is cheaper than most ion-exchanged WPCs, so I use this. Furthermore, since I drink a lot of whey, I'd like some of the unique benefits of whey.

What's Unique About Whey?
So, I've mentioned there are some things about whey that is nice but these aren't very well supported by science. Regardless, it's worth noting. Will Brink puts it beautifully:

"A growing number of studies has found whey may potentially reduce cancer rates, combat HIV, improve immunity, reduce stress and lower cortisol, increase brain serotonin levels, improve liver function in those suffering from certain forms of hepatitis, reduce blood pressure, and improve performance, to name a few of its potential medical and sports related applications.

Whey also has an exceptionally high biological value rating (though sellers of whey make FAR too big a deal of that fact) and an exceptionally high BCAA content.

One of whey's major effects is its apparent ability to raise glutathione (GSH). The importance of GSH for the proper function of the immune system cannot be overstated. GSH is arguably the most important water-soluble antioxidant found in the body.

Because GSH is known to be essential to immunity (oxidative stress, general well being, and reduced levels of GSH are associated with a long list of diseases) whey has a place in anyone's nutrition program. Reduced GSH is also associated with overtraining syndrome (OTS) in athletes, so whey may very well have an application in preventing, or at least mitigating, OTS."
http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/the-whey-it-is/

Other benefits of whey:
(1) Affordable source of protein
(2) Convenient - You can take it wherever and have a quick, easy source of protein.
(3) Allows for flexibility in diet - Protein is the hardest thing to hit for most people. Whey allows you to hit it and opens up the

How To Buy Whey

Buying whey can be a difficult matter, especially if you're buying it in stores. The sales representative will begin to spew nonsensical garbage in attempts to buy ridiculously expensive whey (or casein) for no reason. For example, at GNC, I have seen sales reps sell Promasil to individuals. This just saddens me because Promasil is so, so, so expensive and not worth the incredible amounts of money. So, what should you look for?

(1) Grams of protein per dollar - This is important because, to me, whey is all about cost-effectiveness. Once it becomes expensive then it becomes moot to purchase since I can end up buying meat instead, which is far more satiating. Take my whey (LeanFit Whey) as an example. It's $33.89 after taxes for 2kg (4.4lbs) and it has around 62 servings @ 25g of protein per serving. This comes out to 1550g of protein and we divide that by the cost and we get 46g of protein per dollar. Whenever you buy whey, do this if cost effectiveness is important to you.

(2) Macronutrient profile - Look at the amount of protein, fat, and carbs in it and see if it suits your needs. For example, I want something purer so I can consume a more diverse diet. As such, I want most protein I can get per serving while keeping fat and carbs low. I don't want WPIs because it ends up not being cost effective. Take, for example, Syntha-6 by BSN. Great tasting whey but the profile is awful. 22g of protein, 6g of fat, and 14g of carbs per serving. Tastes great but not worth it in the end.

(3) Process - Remember the processes we learned about up there? Make sure the process is listed. If it's not then usually it's ion-exchange. Check the label and see if the process you want is on there.

(4) GMP certification - GMP means good manufacturing processes and if a company is certified in this then that means they are in a facility that produces quality products.

Things to Look Out For

Hyperbolic claims are there and some people fall for it. Ever seen these ones:

"Fastest digesting protein!"
"50g of protein per serving!"
"Instantly huge muscles!"
Etc. etc. etc.

This is all horse poop. First of all, 50g of protein per serving is almost always 2 scoops, so always look at how much protein per scoop. Second, all other claims is moot. Whey is whey. Don't get coaxed by a sales rep or stupid label claims with fancy lingos and such. Be smart and keep it simple. You don't need all the extra stuff in your whey.

I also recommend avoiding meal replacements or concoctions such as Shakeology since they're extremely expensive, tend to contain low quality, filler ingredients, and are just plain expensive (had to say this twice). Buy regular whey protein and make your own meal replacement. It's cheaper and more versatile.

As a side note, do not be afraid of sucralose. People on here are quite afraid of it and it makes no sense. The amount of sucralose you would need to consume to make a health impact is extremely high.

What Whey Brands Are Good

These are brands I suggest you buy your whey from because either of their taste and/or quality. Check the labels to see if it fits what you want. Before I start, I recommend avoiding GNC whey products since you can get cheaper, better quality whey elsewhere. Don't waste your money buying from their store. You can buy whey cheaper online.

(1) Combat Powder by MusclePharm - Ultrafiltered, good macronutrient profile, and tastes good.
(2) ON 100% Gold Standard - I dislike that the whey isolates are ion-exchanged but people love this stuff, especially since it is semi-affordable. You won't see this recommended often by people on BB.com since it does have ion-exchanged whey but it does taste good and it's not too expensive.
(3) Myofusion by Gaspari - This company is GMP certified, a mixture of cross-flow and microfiltration, decent price point, good macronutrient profile, and tastes pretty good. My personal favourite. As a note, they were bagged last year for failing one of the GMP guidelines but that has been since fixed.
(4) Anything by ALLMAX - This company is GMP certified and notorious for producing good quality wheys. They are a little on the pricier side but you can be positive the quality is good.
(5) LeanFit Whey - All Canadians should buy this one if they're trying to save money. Cheapest protein in Canada (to my knowledge), GMP certified, micro/ultrafiltered, and excellent macronutrient profile.
(6) Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0 - Great customer service and one of the best tasting proteins (this is casein by the way). Unfortunately, it's macronutrient profile isn't desirable.
(7) VPX SRO - This is a WPI that has great quality and good taste. If you're looking for a WPI this is worth looking into.

Those are just some brands I recommend. There are more out there and I've given you the tools to distinguish what to get.

Replies

• SummerFun2011
    Options
    This clears so much up for me! Very glad I saw this since I am have been falling for some gimmicks i notice now :flowerforyou:
    I have a related question though, when I went into GNC a worker recommended their Total Lean product since I am female and your body can only use so much protein in one sitting, is this true?:huh:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    ::applause::

Excellent post. :drinker:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Awesome post.

One question you might know the answer to: Some whey proteins clump when they are put in hot or very warm water. Others, not so much. I'm wondering if you know which is more likely to clump when I add my espresso and which is less likely?

Also bumping so I can refer back to this later.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Great post man! Very helpful to the beginer and novice alike. Between you and Razique, we are developing our own scholarly article writers!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    outstanding article
    mmapags :blushing:
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sweet! Whey for dummies. Love it!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thanks!
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Hopefully it helps a bunch of people.
    One question you might know the answer to: Some whey proteins clump when they are put in hot or very warm water. Others, not so much. I'm wondering if you know which is more likely to clump when I add my espresso and which is less likely?

There's no definitive whey (ha! get it?) to know. Each company will produce certain wheys that mix differently. If you're having problems with clumping then I'd try putting it in a blender or buying a blender bottle (if you don't have one already) and shake VIGOROUSLY. I pretty much shake to failure, no jokes either. My brother and I joke about it because he won a free bag of whey and it tended to clump easily, so I had to shake very hard until my arms couldn't take it anymore.
    This clears so much up for me! Very glad I saw this since I am have been falling for some gimmicks i notice now :flowerforyou:
    I have a related question though, when I went into GNC a worker recommended their Total Lean product since I am female and your body can only use so much protein in one sitting, is this true?:huh:

You can only digest so much protein at once but it's quite high and it's not a limit most people will ever hit in a single meal. The idea of only 20-30g of protein in one sitting only being usable has been long dismissed. Alan Aragon, one of the great nutritional minds out there, wrote a fantastic article on it. I wouldn't be able to do the topic much justice since he absolutely destroys the myth:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

It's a fantastic read, so I suggest reading it. You'll learn a lot and you'll be shocked by some of the information.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a fan for bumping threads but ... bump ;)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bump for some new spreading the love!
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good info to know :-)