Plateau....eat more or less?

Options
I am 32, 5'7 and at 215. I started out eating 1200 calories, and hit a plateau and bumped it up to 1400. This worked for a few weeks but now I am stuck again! Do I up my intake again or lower it back to 1200? I walk at least twice a week if not 3 and I hit the gym 2 times a week if not 3. Any suggestions?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'7" and started off at 175. I am currently at my goal of 145. I had 2 long plateaus. I started MFP with it set at a 2 lb/week loss which gave me 1200 calories and was way too aggressive. I was hungry but didn't know any better and I plateaued for almost 2 months. I finally read the MFP message boards and started eating more (1400 calories). That worked until the last 15 pounds where I had to set MFP at a 0.5 lb/week loss which got things moving again. There is also the whole exercise calorie issue- after my first plateau I started eating them. I estimate calorie burns conservatively and eat them all back, however I don't do any crazy 1,000 calorie burns. I walk one mile daily at a brisk pace with my dog and do pilates 2-3 times a week, neither of which burns a ton of calories.

Also, when you say your stuck, how long have you gone without losing weight? It is normal not to lose every week, as weight loss is not consistent like that. If it has only been 2 weeks, wait it out. If we are talking a month with no progress, then you probably need to switch it up a bit.
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is over 1700. You probably want to be eating closer to 2000, inc exercise. You definitely shouldn't be netting less than 1700.

I'd up it to 1600 net for a week, then go to 1800 net. See how you feel with that.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started at 234 so I have lost like 21 pounds. I too was at 1200 until I About 2 months ago when i upped it to 1400. That worked and i lost another 5 pounds, but now I have been stuck for a month. I try to eat back some of the exercise calories but not all, as I think MFP overestimates the burn. Usually about half I guess. I think maybe next week I will try to eat 1600, but not eat back the exercise calories. I still have at least 55 pounds to go.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you plateaud at 1200 calories why would you go back? Add another 300 calories to you diet, especially if your bmr is over 1700
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    same sinking boat here!!!!not ready to give up just stuck forever and now i have gained. going back to the begining 1200 plus exercise calories and increasing slowly this time! i know 1200 is not healthy but i have to do something to keep myself in the game. waiting another month to see something is not going to make me healthy...its going to make me quit! same stats as you 5'7" sw200 cw 160!
  • JodiHop
    JodiHop Posts: 25
    Options
    bump...
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake is important but I think you need to look at the Carbs, Sugar, Protein etc. Make sure you balance the pie (chart) and don't starve yourself. Plateau is very frustrating but not impossible, hang in there and stay strong. Don't make food an important part of your life, I am still working on that. Next time you go to a gym look at the people on the treadmills and eliptical machines, most of them have not changed a bit, only maintained weight. Try changing your work outs to a shorter work out and more intensity. Be strong, you will get there.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    More.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I am 32, 5'7 and at 215. I started out eating 1200 calories, and hit a plateau and bumped it up to 1400. This worked for a few weeks but now I am stuck again! Do I up my intake again or lower it back to 1200? I walk at least twice a week if not 3 and I hit the gym 2 times a week if not 3. Any suggestions?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/510406-tdee-is-everything?
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

How long have you been "stuck?" Looking at your info looks like you just started in January. If you just recently seemed to have stalled (again) I would be more inclined to say "don't change anything" yet. Sometimes the body seems to need to re-set and you may not move for 7-14 days at a time. The problem is that when we don't see a movement for a couple days and do something a little different - and the scale coincidentally moves - we think that what ever we did moved it - and we really just don't know if that was the case. A plateau is really not a one or two week stall even though those are frustrating to experience.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My stall was a month, but I finally broke through yesterday morning, and hadn't really changed anything yet. Thanks everyone for your input!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Do us a favor and use the link below to estimate your BMR and post your results. If you tell us that, your lifestyle/job, and what you do for exercise, we can figure out how many calories you truly need.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Anytime I get stuck, I eat more and exercise more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
  • bilio77
    bilio77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hit a Plateau recently, stalled for three weeks, lost two pounds, then weighed myself this morning and its back on :S I've only been over a couple of days in the last few weeks (1700 target over by maybe 50) and I've been cycling a fair bit too. its maddening.
  • CJPMad
    Options
    Hey...I have the same question. I'm a 27 year old female.

4 weeks ago, these were my stats: 216 lbs., 5'2", sedentary.

Now, I work out 5x a week (using the Gain fitness app- usually a little cardio, a lot of body weight resistance work) and weigh 207. I've been consuming roughly 1200 calories per day...but now, the weight loss just stopped...which is a bit questionable since I still have so far to go. We aren't talking about the last 10 pounds....we are talking about the last 70 pounds!!

Some folks suggested that I eat non-diet food (stuff I wouldn't normally eat now like one meal at McDonald's, etc.) to reset the weight loss. I know about starvation mode and I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do next. I really want to try and hit 180 in the next 3 months.

Also, can I say that I am extremely frustrated as I initially lost 11 pounds and now I'm up 2 and only down 9 pounds. Been really dedicated to my work out program and "healthy eating" (it isn't really even a diet...just healthier stuff within 1200 calories a day)....not understanding what's happening here. :angry:
  • CJPMad
    Options
    Also, can I say that I am extremely frustrated as I initially lost 11 pounds and now I'm up 2 and only down 9 pounds. Been really dedicated to my work out program and "healthy eating" (it isn't really even a diet...just healthier stuff within 1200 calories a day)....not understanding what's happening here. :angry:
  • CJPMad
    Options
    Did you break the plateau?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Set you account to 1 lb per week and if you exercise eat 50% of the exercise calories. Also, consider altering your macros to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. Protein will help maintain your muscle mass so you lose mostly fat. Also, what is your exercise routine?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Eat more