think my heart rate monitor is wacky??

Options
i "ran" on the trail today. I ran 2 miles in 26:01. My heart rate monitor says I burned 442 calories. My account on RunningAhead says I burned 254 calories. That is a big difference? Any ideas?

Replies

• Justapartyofone
    Options
    The average person burns about 100 calories per mile =/- depending on weight.
    I usually burn about 125 cals per mile @ 8 min/mile pace.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM do you have? and does RunningAhead take your height weight, etc into account? I would say your HRM is probably a better indicator- most websites have flaws in calculations no matter how many variables you put in. If you're really concerned about it, I would say log based on the lower amount.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    8 min./mile! That's amazing.. My best is 11 min/mile. (and i'm ok with that) :)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    442 seems pretty high for a two mile run....I usually I figure I burn a little over 100 calories per mile, and I run about a 9-10 minute mile, depending on the day.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    thanks. I thought it was way high too. I changed and entered the lower cal. burned.

(runningAHEAD does use weight etc for their calculations)

I use a timex ironman. the monitor is they type that goes around my chest..
  • c_hampagne
    c_hampagne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you washed/clean your chest strap? I have a Polar FT7 and if I don't wash the strap once a week or so it'll give me funky readings.