Losing weight without losing muscle

Options
I have a question that many before me have probably asked, but I took a quick look and didn't see a good topic on it so I thought it would be cool to pose it again.

I am currently doing a LOT of cardio (6 days a week) and I am definitely losing weight.. which is what I want since I started at 276 (I'm 5'10) and now I'm at 256 (getting into the 250s SUCKED... but I'm happy to be here). This is 2 months in.

I want to continue to shed pounds as quickly and as much as possible... but I also am starting to get concerned about losing all the muscle sitting underneath.

Can anyone tell me if I'm heading towards this? I don't want to end up "skinny fat".. although I think that would still be better than just plain ol' fat.

(EDIT: I know I'll need to lift weights again soon.. but I really hate it and enjoy the elliptical or basketball much, much more).

Replies

• js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Most people on this forum and in "my" experience... yes, you are losing muscle mass while losing fat. You really should strength train. If you want to spend the least amount of time with weight training, then compound exercises are what you want. You'll work out a lot of muscles at once. There are 5 or so primary exercises you can do for instance, squats, bench press, overhead press, bent over row and deadlifts. At the very least you should do squats and deadlifts (proper tehnique is very important). Do a search on 5x5 and you'll see a lot of threads pop up. What ever you decide, good luck. You're losing weight and that's what matters most.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My personal experience (i'm female) has been that i lose about 1/3 muscle when i'm losing mass. This has been verified by a series of DEXA scans over the past year. My husband, on the other hand, managed to lose 40 pounds of fat and add 8 pounds of muscle in the same time frame, which i find horribly unfair. We both do a mix of cardio and weight training. If you are just doing cardio, you are almost certainly losing more muscle.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My personal experience (i'm female) has been that i lose about 1/3 muscle when i'm losing mass. This has been verified by a series of DEXA scans over the past year. My husband, on the other hand, managed to lose 40 pounds of fat and add 8 pounds of muscle in the same time frame, which i find horribly unfair. We both do a mix of cardio and weight training. If you are just doing cardio, you are almost certainly losing more muscle.

^ sorry to hear that, But im assuming when I say this, guys generally have it easier gaining muscles (so bl to you) D: To answer the OP's question, yes you do lose muscles, ESPECIALLY if your doing so much cardio. There are other ways of losing weight without doing so much cardio. Look into afterburn techniques and strength training with HIITS for cardio.
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've got a sore/tight back, sore knees, and a bad ankle. I can put up with basketball because I enjoy it so much, and elliptical doesn't bother any of my "injuries".... but weight training definitely does. Especially stuff like squats. Anyone else have that problem?
  • js370
    Options
    I'd often get lower back pain just by standing around. Also, my knees would hurt if I'm not able to stretch my leg out for a short period of time. Since I've been doing deadlifts and 45 degree back extensions, my back has gotten better. My knees have also gotten better. Used to be that I would go to the movies and would be in pain getting up at the end. The last couple times I went, my knees got a little sore but once I got up it went away. Squats (performed correctly) will strengthen the muscles surround your knees. These are results that "I" have gotten and some guys at the gym have also seen improvements. May not be the case for everyone, but this is from my experience.
    You should post a thread asking about this so you can get a better outcome from others.
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    What! You lose muscle when you run? But I don't have any now! I can barely make it a mile w/o collapsing- not from lack of air but fatigued muscles! Boooooooo!
  • js370
    Options
    Your endurance will grow over time. Stretch before and after. If you go to a track with benches...run up and down the steps for a few minutes. That'll strengthen your legs and you'll be able to run more.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah you are defnitely losing your muscle as you are dropping the pounds. It is actually healthier for you body if you do some weights as well as cardio. I'm a bigger guy as well, and I actually lost 10lbs really quick, but as soon as I started lifting heavier, I gained about 5lbs back, but my clothes kept getting looser. I have finally lost that 5lbs back, and the weight is coming off slower, but as long as you realize it isn't about the weight coming of as much as it about how you look and feel it makes it much easier to keep with the program. Right now I'm personally doing 4 days of lifting, and also doing 20-35 minutes of cardio (depending on if I'm doing straight running, or an interval workout) on those days aswell, and usually one other day of cardio if I have time on a Saturday. You also have to realize that the more muscle you have the more fat your burn, just make sure you are getting plenty or Iron, Protein and water to keep up with your workouts. Just remeber though that once you start, you might gain weight, because your body is going to retain more water at first.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've got a sore/tight back, sore knees, and a bad ankle. I can put up with basketball because I enjoy it so much, and elliptical doesn't bother any of my "injuries".... but weight training definitely does. Especially stuff like squats. Anyone else have that problem?

Oh and I've been sore all over, start taking osteo-biflex, it works wonders!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Only way to reduce and not lose muscle mass is to eat at a deficit, do strength training. Doing cardio in addition will help you lose faster but does not help the reduction of muscle mass.
  • lg3703
    Options
    I want to gain muscle & lose fat. I have no weights and can't afford the gym. Help??
  • mcasprin
    mcasprin Posts: 14
    Options
    dont be running in your cardio for 20 minutes you will be pulling energy from all over your body including muscle. a fast walk at a pace you can keep a conversation with will help your body not pull energy from your muscle to keep up with you
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Check on the link below about gaining muscle and losing fat. There is also a lot of other great stuff on this guy's website.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I want to gain muscle & lose fat. I have no weights and can't afford the gym. Help??

Google body weight exercises. This includes things like pull ups, push ups and many others. They will help!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This is how I did it. First if you dont implement some type of lifting program about 22% of your weight loss will be from lean muscle, Lifting is very important. Second, Try to limit your weight loss to 1-2 lbs per week by adjusting your calorie intake. Slow is better and weight loss should be a marathon not a sprint. Third, eat atleast 1 gram of protein for every lb. of body weight.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Here is a link to a program/ split I posted for someone else that doesnt have access to a gym. Buy some dumbbells, ( 5 -20lbs to start) an exercise ball and a pull up bar from walmart, craigslist or ebay ( except for the dumbbells) These things will provide you with everything you need to workout at home and for not much $$$$
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/549106-help-with-weight-training-this-is-what-i-have-please
  • lg3703
    Options
    Thanks y'all! Ill check the sites but eating all that protein is hard for a vegetarian!! Wow
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Thanks y'all! Ill check the sites but eating all that protein is hard for a vegetarian!! Wow
    Can you use soy protein? I see it on the shelf right next to my whey protein all the time.
  • hotjava9
    hotjava9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    keep lean protein at 40-50% of your diet with fats under 20%, GOOD carbs for the rest (brown rice/veggies/low sugar fruits). Do light strength training, even just a few reps 2-3 days a week 10/8/6 on triceps, biceps, chest, back (you can use combination moves to help do this faster). Bigger weights give bigger muscle and for just light infrequent lifting will work if you are keeping your protein and healthy carbs up. Message me if you need help!
  • Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    What! You lose muscle when you run? But I don't have any now! I can barely make it a mile w/o collapsing- not from lack of air but fatigued muscles! Boooooooo!
    [/quote

You should strengthen the muscles too, this will help with your running, definitely the core, the quads, calves, hamstrings, gluteals and hip flexors (that one always gets missed!?) , you dont need a Gym, you can exercise/strengthen all these muscles doing bodyweight exercises at home... google bodyweight exercises :o)