*BUMP*
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    bump
  • sunray11julie
    sunray11julie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN Extreme from beachbody. I have been doing this for a month now, and love it, seeing muscle definition in my my whole body already!
  • KelliA0628
    KelliA0628 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    WoW!!! Just got around to checking this post again. I'm going to go back and read everyone's comments. Thanks so much!!! I ordered Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and 30 Day Ripped this morning so I hope to start the Shred next week.

While skimming I noticed alot of you were asking what kind of free weights the gym had. I know they have dumbbells as well as bars and plates. Someone else mentioned staying away from the machines. No problem there...they intimidate me but it's because I have no clue how to operate most of them correctly anyway.

K...going back to read your responses. Thanks again!!
  • KelliA0628
    Options
    where are you from?

My gym offers a class called "bodypump" it's a great class and taken 3 days a week for 6 wks you will see great changes as far as toning.. I take it now 3 days a week, still do cardio and meet w/ a trainer once a week and i love the results i'm seeing in my arms and legs! :) It's a heavy weighted class, so you cant go in and only put 10 lbs on the bar for every muscle group and expect to see change..

Where do you take Zumba at? If at your gym, then check out the weight machines there, talk to someone at the gym and have them help you use them for the first time..

The gym that I have access to is a retired firehouse that has been filled with exercise equipmens and weights for use by the City's firefighters.

I do Zumba at a place called Brickhouse Cardio Club. Brickhouse is solely Zumba classes. Each location is an individual studio.
  • KelliA0628
    Options
    Oh, I should add that I started using his stuff at the beginning of the year and I can do 12 pushups on my knees now!!

That is awesome!! Congrats!!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is very informative and gives a detailed strength training program. It really changed the way I viewed the weight room. Good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I dig Chalean Extreme for building muscle. I'm almost done, and looking for something else to do at home. You really will notice a difference when you start building the muscle!!

I have friend who are into the whole CrossFit thing. They are getting ripped, and it isn't the typical "gym" experience. If you want something different, CrossFit is pretty solid!!!

Good luck!
  • KelliA0628
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks again!!! Love all the encouragement and support!! And I'll definitely keep checking back!!

Good luck to all of you!!!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'd concur with the recommendation with the NROLFW. I'm doing the men version and loving it so far. Breaks things down really easily and as long as the gym you go to has the stuff, you're all set!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    WoW!!! Just got around to checking this post again. I'm going to go back and read everyone's comments. Thanks so much!!! I ordered Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and 30 Day Ripped this morning so I hope to start the Shred next week.

Those programs are good, but they are cardio programs that use weights, they are not strength training. I would suggest looking into:
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5.

All 3 are great programs, designed for beginners although 1 move in starting strength is more of an intermediate move and can be replaced with deadlifts.
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    That book is awesome. I second this.
    You can check out New Rules of Lifting For Women. I started with that and recently decided to start doing the Stronglifts program. There are also several Women's Lifting Groups here you can search for.

I agree!
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do this on your own take a while to read through this site:

nerdfitness.com

There are wonderful videos on proper form and just all around helpful information. Good luck to you!
  • purplebutterfly3
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do this on your own take a while to read through this site:

nerdfitness.com

There are wonderful videos on proper form and just all around helpful information. Good luck to you!

Thank you Jeanine, I'm checking this out. And all the other info here as well, I am just starting out myself.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    My advice is this: Get a trainer for at least one sessions. Most gyms will give you a free session with a trainer when you join (they want to induce you to buy more training sessions). Working with a trainer will teach you how to use the equipment and how you should be increasing the training each week. I chose to make the investment of training once a week with my trainer and it was a great investment. He pushes me farther than I do, and if I didn't train with him, I'm sure I'd just be killing myself on cardio. If this isn't an option, I would watch some youtube videos and also, I love looking at "celebrity workouts." They are ALL over the internet and are usually actually pretty good, pretty standard workouts as far as the weight training portion goes. I have followed a lot of these and thought they were great.
  • sissypunks
    Options
    bump
  • mcasprin
    mcasprin Posts: 14
    Options
    Okay. I got started on MFP March 15th and have lost 7ish pounds as of today. I do Zumba 4-5 times a week and that is my only exercise. I would LOVE to incorporate some strength training but have NO CLUE where to start. I'm not interested in paying for a gym membership at this time as I have free access to a local gym. What pointers would you give someone like me? And remember, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to this. I'm 5'9"-5'10" and currently weigh 169.4 pounds. I'm looking to basically tone up and lose fat.

THANKS!!

you tube. simple write in chest workouts,back workouts, triceps workouts. there are loads of videos there "six pack shortcuts" is a good channel. just remember dont over train your self you should do 4 exercises for the body part you target with 3 sets with 8-10 reps,