New to MFP and trying not to fall off the wagon!

Options
Hello.
My names Gina Im new as of a month or so ago to MFP. I was using a calorie counter as an APP on my phone until a new friend suggested I use this. I honestly didn't even realize that there was a message board until now so I'm excited! I don't know many people on here AT ALL and not many who are actually looking to lose weight and workout (and mean it!). Ive had some friends tell me how they are trying to lose weight and when we try to use each other as a support system I end up caving into their requests of making/eating delicious foods! (and lets be real I can cave easily if i've already gotten to this point!)
Ive been told all my life im the chubby friend, big girl, not going to change, and even some pretty harsh things that but I think I'm honestly over it. I'll be 28 in two weeks and french fries/beer/wine cannot be the only thing in my diet no matter how bad I think they should be!

Im 5'5 and once started off at 209 in January I had a bad break up in February/March and decided eating my feelings was the best plan. Im stuck at 190 with trying to motivate myself and although my positivity is back in full action... that doesn't help my beer belly. I mean not being able to purchase a pair of pants in " your size" because "your fit" is special and they just seem to make a weird fit in your side is slightly awkward when you try a few different places.

Anyways saying Hi and a little bit about my story! Feel free to add me or write back with your own stories.

Replies

• Seabreeze78
    Options
    hi Gina, I too am new to mfp, joined up a week ago but just yesterday started poking around to see what it was all about, like yourself I was just using my phone app, I didn't know msg boards & blogs existed, but so excited that they do, within a few hrs of putting up a post I had an outpouring of support from new friends and you will too, good luck on this journey
  • gigicrafty
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!!! And your so right! I'm very excited now! And excited to post more on here with other like minded folks. :)
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    Welcome Gina. You will find lots of support here and great advice. I have been on MFP for about two weeks and I have already fallen off the wagon. It happens. Good luck to you
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Welcome Gina!!!! MFP is a GREAT tool and I'm glad you are on here and you have made the decision to make a lifestyle change!
    Be patient and the weight will come off! Eat right, watch your portions, don't deny yourself everything, exercise, & remember it's a lifestyle, not a diet!!! HAVE FUN!
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how similar our journeys are right down to the weight and break-up. I am more than willing to help you stay motivated along this journey and if you could do the same for me that would be lovely. Good luck and congrats on your future sucess. All it takes is one good decision at a time and we will get to where we need to be in time. Let's do it new friend :flowerforyou:
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Gina, you've come to the right place. If you stay here, read some of the threads and other resources it might help in giving you motivation and commitment. Don't know if you're exercising but if not that can be a tremendous boost.

Plenty of support here from awesome folks so hope you stay.
  • glennleo
    glennleo Posts: 14
    Options
    Good luck Gina, I just started on MFP. I would be happy to add you as a Pal. If you are thinking of caving Think MFP and send message.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi Gina! Feel free to friend me. I've lost about 40 pounds with MFP (10 before) and I'm in maintenance mode but I still track my exercise and calories. I'm happy to give you any support you need. Sounds like you're already on the right track!
  • Lusciousss
    Options
    Hi Gina. You're amongst friends now :) Feel free to add me. I'd be happy to support you along your journey.
  • ewjl1981
    ewjl1981 Posts: 21
    Options
    Welcome, I too am pretty new.....joined last year and then quit but I'm back now and am not giving up this time! Good luck on your journey :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I've been here for about a week and I've found my eating habits are becoming AWESOME. And therefore, by default, I am becoming awesome too. >.>

Feel free to send a friend request! I'll do my best to motivate!
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for new friends on MFP--please feel free to add me!
  • FlannelGuy26
    Options
    It's tough. Look. I got out of a relationship. Was over 200. 210ish I guess. I knew if I was ever going to get back in the game, I need to shape up.

At first, I was trying to lose for the wrong reasons. Not for me. But I joined a gym. TREMENDOUSLY cut back on beer (granted, drink light stuff), the pastas and began to manage my diet.

Right now, 3 months later, I am 176. It was a lot of work. But this app, my sister, all motivated me. Spare tire, GONE. Old wardrobe is my new one. I couldn't feel better. Just about getting your mind and body to meet in the middle.

I work out 6 times a week and love it. I just did a trail in Asheville 2 weeks ago...loved it. I bought a bike. Can't wait to ride it. I KNOW 3 months ago, this seemed impossible. With the right pals...ANYTHING is possible ; )
  • english22609
    Options
    Hi Gina! I've been toying with MFP for months. Just this week, I've gotten serious with it. So serious, that I got my husband on the app too. I read your profile, and like you, I enjoy a good drink. In fact, my husband and I both enjoy good food and good drinks. That really is going to be our biggest problem, I think. There is the saying if you do what you've always done, then you'll get what you've always gotten. So the big realization for me is habits have to change. Sounds so simple, right? I guess we'll see. The community is here to help us so I plan on using them. Good luck to you! Give me a shout out if you ever need a chat.
  • gigicrafty
    Options
    thanks to EVERYONE I feel so welcome and inspired. Despite my set backs honestly reading every ones comments make my day feel so much easier. Thanks and i look forward to chatting with you all! :)