HRM question for the ladies

Options
How do you keep the strap on? I have the heart rate monitor strap almost as tight as it will go around my chest, but it still manages to inch its way down every time I breathe out. If I don't keep pulling it back up, it ends up around my stomach 10 minutes into the workout. And no, "stop breathing" is not an option! :laugh:

Replies

• rcolours7
    rcolours7 Posts: 69
    Options
    order a new smaller strap from the company or maybe, tuck it slightly under ur sports bra.

otherwise, no other ideas from me.

hope this helps.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 with a chest strap, and I do NOT have any problems with the strap moving or falling down. I keep it tight , but not so tight it is uncomfortable. Depending on the type you have, you may want to see if you can get a smaller strap, if available.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My New Balance N4 doesn't slip, I put it under my sports bra. It's right under the 'girls' and my bras have the wide elastic band that holds the strap where it belongs.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need a smaller strap. Can you pin it to your bra in the meantime, or lodge it under the bra elastic?
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I still have 2 more inches left on the strap for tightening - the problem is that if I tighten it any more, then I can't breathe. When I went running on Monday, I realized that it seems to start slipping once I work up a sweat. Since I can't do much about that, I think I might follow the suggestion to get a sports bra with a wider elastic band that I can tuck the HRM under.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Is it doing that in front AND back? Mine slips down in the back, but still stays put in the front. But then again, I usually tuck it under the bra elastic in front.
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar. I use the chest strap and I also have the sports bra. Might want to look into sports bras w/ the monitor strap, hopefully that won't go anywhere!!
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Mine is tucked right along the band of my sports bras and it never goes anywhere.. Maybe you need a tighter bra to try help keep it in place?
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I still have 2 more inches left on the strap for tightening - the problem is that if I tighten it any more, then I can't breathe. When I went running on Monday, I realized that it seems to start slipping once I work up a sweat. Since I can't do much about that, I think I might follow the suggestion to get a sports bra with a wider elastic band that I can tuck the HRM under.
    You can also put some velcro strips on the bra and hrm strap........works like a charm!
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't slip, but then again like other ladies say, I tuck it under my sports bra. Good luck!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I tuck it under the band of my sports bra. Polar used to make a sports bra that had a slit in it to slide the strap through. Not sure if they still do, but you might be able to find one online somewhere.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 with a chest strap, and I do NOT have any problems with the strap moving or falling down. I keep it tight , but not so tight it is uncomfortable. Depending on the type you have, you may want to see if you can get a smaller strap, if available.

What she said :)
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options

What she said :)

What they said but the velcro idea seems like a good one too, or pin it to your bra.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I tuck mine under my bra too.....I had the hook come apart once and the monitor never lost a beat because it was firmly in place under the girls. I'm well far from it being too big on the tightest setting, but I would think you should be able to order a smaller one if it's truly too big around......or grab a few safety pins and made it a little smaller at one end by lapping it over.....but still being able to hook it.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    How do you keep the strap on? I have the heart rate monitor strap almost as tight as it will go around my chest, but it still manages to inch its way down every time I breathe out. If I don't keep pulling it back up, it ends up around my stomach 10 minutes into the workout. And no, "stop breathing" is not an option! :laugh:

Ironically, I had exactly this happen last Saturday during a 5k race, it was totally frustrating, because I was wasting so much energy when I had to keep pushing the strap back up.

Therefore, during training this week, I have worn a sportsbra that has a bottom band that is lower than my other bras and I have been able to stick the strap under that bottom bra-band and it stays in place there. It is not uncomfortable either, in fact it is a hell of a lot more comfortable (and secure!) than last Saturday.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I repeat what everyone else said already LOL!! I tuck mine under my bra too but then again I think I also have it on really tight I have a Polar FT7
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    See, there's a problem I don't have. My big giant GUT keeps it from slipping down at all. :blushing: :laugh:
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Girl....what are you doing for workouts? Bungee jumping? lol! Even when I run, mine stays put. I tuck it under my bra and wear it as close as possible to the boob crease....good luck!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If your HRM is a Polar, they make a sports bra that has a spot to connect your transmitter built into the bra so that you don't have to wear the chest strap. It's not cheap but it might be the less cumbersome solution in your case if your body shape is what's causing it to slip down. It cannot slip down if it's part of your bra. :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine is tucked right along the band of my sports bras and it never goes anywhere.. Maybe you need a tighter bra to try help keep it in place?
    Mine is tucked under too. Never an issue.