What's the fast & effective way of trimming down arms?

Options
Hi! I would like to ask for ideas or suggestions in trimming down or losing fats on upper arm area. My belly and thighs I can see and feel them slimming down, but my arms its sooo slow. I know that its like one of the last, hard areas to work, including the face (I think) but I want an immediate way. I use a pair of 1 lb weights on both hands whenever I do turbofire and run on the treadmill.

Thanks!

Replies

• doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Lift! Heavy and often! Good speed!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Those 1 lb weights aren't gonna do anything.

Your purse is probably heavier.

Pick up heavy weight and put them down.

Push-ups and pull-ups are also your friend.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Scalpel + biohazard bags....
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Agree with the rest Heavy weights with low reps do the trick!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    What speed is good? What would you recommend?
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Good question! Now, what constitutes "heavy"?
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    What speed is good? What would you recommend?

My apologies! I meant GOD speed! (as in good luck!)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Its relative. Whatever is a challenge (when you start making ugly faces) in the last 2 reps of a 6-10 (no more than 12) rep set
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Those 1 lb weights aren't gonna do anything.

Your purse is probably heavier.

Pick up heavy weight and put them down.

Push-ups and pull-ups are also your friend.

Get a set of adjustable weights (Gold has 5-25lbs). Toss those 1 lb weights. You want results for those arms, introduce them to 10 lbs and higher! Siince you do Turbo Fire, I'd suggest trying Chalean Extreme! She'll have you lifting heavy weights and seeing results!!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How heavy? Depends on the exercise. On lat pulldowns, I'm generally lifting 75 lb or so. Shoulder presses are at about 25 lb, but then "YTWL"s are really tough and I can only do about 5-8 lbs on those!

Just remember that you can't really spot reduce, and that as you burn fat everywhere, your arms will eventually get more slim as well!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I agree! if you are going for lets say 12 reps make it heavy enough you can at least make it to 10 no less but never more than 12. makes sense?

Its relative. Whatever is a challenge (when you start making ugly faces) in the last 2 reps of a 6-10 (no more than 12) rep set
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies! coz right now, I'm just doing cardio, no weightlifting whatsoever. I don't want to start lifting weights when I still have the fats on my arms. I just wanted it toned as well. Yeah, someone mentioned about the arms will just slim down eventually, but I'm kinda impatient lol On my turbofire I skip the scuplt/tone classes.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Do you know any kids? I've been lifting my 24 lb 12 month old and using him as a weight. He finds it hilarious and i think its working!
  • lrreeder
    lrreeder Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks for all the replies! coz right now, I'm just doing cardio, no weightlifting whatsoever. I don't want to start lifting weights when I still have the fats on my arms. I just wanted it toned as well. Yeah, someone mentioned about the arms will just slim down eventually, but I'm kinda impatient lol On my turbofire I skip the scuplt/tone classes.

This isn't going to get you the results you need. I'm assuming you're doing this because you don't want to "bulk up" your arms while you're still losing fat. Actually, it is very very hard to gain muscle while you lose fat. So, if you're losing fat through diet and exercise, adding weightlifting isn't going to immediately start adding bulk. What it will do is speed up your fat loss. Weightlifting helps your body burn fat. Lifting heavy weight (that you can only do 6-8 reps) will also generate growth hormone that helps with fat loss. Don't be afraid of weights, they are your friend. As someone else mentioned, there's no such thing as spot loss. The word "toned" is also a misnomer. You can't "tone" your muscles. People that look toned have taken the time to build muscle and shed the fat over the muscle so you can see them.

In a nutshell:

1. Keep eating right and losing fat;
    2. Continue your cardio routine to help lose fat slowly;
    3. Add in weightlifting (and bodyweight exercises like push-ups and pull-ups) to help accelerate fat loss and build lean muscle.

Good luck!
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to the lifting...I've been working with a couple of 10 lb weights and do no more than 12 reps/set. Any suggestions on how many sets to be effective?
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I was using 5s for my JM DVDs and they became "too easy" so I upped them to 8s and 10s and the 10s are VERY difficult!

My definition of "heavy" would be anything that is "challenging" to you like those 10s are for me!
  • rosied915
    Options
    Do you know any kids? I've been lifting my 24 lb 12 month old and using him as a weight. He finds it hilarious and i think its working!

LOVE IT!!!
  • rosied915
    Options
    I also find that doing a routine of boxing moves (punches) is VERY effective!

Jabs, Upper cuts, Hooks~ make up a routine and like Jillian says "PUNCH"!! And she means hard~ feel it coming from your abs!

ETA: You know I mean "punch" the air, right? Just imagine it's someone who deserves it.....
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    scissors? :indifferent:

No seriously, bump :ohwell:
  • EmeriaDewes
    Options
    Bump, like this topic