VO2 max

Options
Hello! I just got an HRM today and I am trying to set the VO2 max. Does anyone know how to calculate this?

Replies

• Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    I use this for my run group, if you run at all

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2race.htm
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I use this for my run group, if you run at all

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2race.htm

I looked at the page and thought "Heh, this is just like my new running book!" - I got the Daniels book last week!

Thanks for posting the link!
  • Tabsta
    Options
    and what do you mean by 'set it'? Your Vo2 Max is what it is, you cant 'set it'! Do you mean finding out what it is to work out the intensity you want to work at in your training?

If so that page wil help...look at the link below the race result calculator 'the Vo2 Max page'

Hope this helps
  • Tabsta
    Options

I looked at the page and thought "Heh, this is just like my new running book!" - I got the Daniels book last week!

Thanks for posting the link!

You're very welcome :smile:
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Oh sorry I meant I have to calculate it and enter it on my HRM watch (and I am not a runner)
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    Waht HRM are you using? The ones I know that ask for vo2 are the ones that can also do a fit test and calculate it automatically.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I am using a Pyle Sports HRM (PHRM38). Would I be able to conduct a fit test with this one? And if so, how?
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Hello?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466973-i-want-to-test-for-my-max-heart-rate-vo2-max

You been exercising enough to really push yourself? Until you feel like dying?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is
    According to Wikipedia you can estimate your VO2Max by diving your max heart rate with your resting heart rate all multiplied by 15.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is
    According to Wikipedia you can estimate your VO2Max by diving your max heart rate with your resting heart rate all multiplied by 15.

Interesting estimate.

Because MHR is genetically set, can't train that higher once you've worked out for a few weeks, then test max is real max. And it won't change with age that greatly unless you get out of shape.

And then using RHR, which is greatly influenced by aerobic training and somewhat genetics. You can effect that by 10-25 bpm my training easily. And overtraining can raise it, and not training for a few weeks too.

And then trying to arrive at a value VO2max that is again mostly genetically set, but can be changed slightly by training.

This is probably what the Polar's use as a rough estimate on their auto-set test of VO2max that has nothing more than resting for like a minute.