Strength training and fat loss?

Options
I've been weight training for 3 weeks now, only twice a week unfortunately, but I'll be able to do it three times a week next month.

Anyways, since I've been weight training, I haven't cared much what the scale says, it goes up a few pounds and then back to my halted weight of 142. I've been burning enough calories to lose at least .5 lb a week and eating a deficit (1650 cal net, more on weight training days). My body is definitely starting to look better, but obviously the pounds aren't coming off.

So, am I actually losing fat? Or what? ( I understand that the scale is not the best measure and that's why I'm asking)

Replies

• NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    With the info I have been given, with weight training you replace the fat with muscle. So I wouldnt say "losing fat" your replacing fat.
  • 319tokona
    319tokona Posts: 31
    Options
    I had the same types of results when I shifted more towards strength training vs running only. My weight virtually stayed the same over a two month period but I lost inches on pants sizes. Nice job!! It is actually healthier to do what you are doing that just going for weight loss because you are changing your body composition. A decreased fat% will help your metabolism and will in turn help you to burn even more fat. Way to get lean!
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you. But we have pretty much the same stats, (142 lbs, 1650 cals, started strength 3 weeks ago), so I am curious as to what others will tell you.
  • Lilith47
    Lilith47 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started strength training little over 2 weeks ago, and I can definitely see a difference - everything is firmer, and I am getting stronger (can do more pushups every time ;) but as for weight loss, nothing significant yet. I'm interested what others say. Keep us updated !!
  • Roseisrose3111
    Options
    With the info I have been given, with weight training you replace the fat with muscle. So I wouldnt say "losing fat" your replacing fat.
    I would agree. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may gain a few lbs, but lose inches. And that's O.K. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as replacing fat. You're either losing it, or not losing it. It doesn't turn to muscle, anymore than a lawn full of dandelions can't turn into a luscious lawn of bluegrass.

If you body is looking better, you're losing fat.

If you're not losing weight, and you're in a calorie deficit, you *might* have gained a little muscle since you're new to lifting, but it's more likely just fluid retention from the increased exercise. A new routine or increase in intensity causes small tears in the muscles, which hold fluid while they heal. It's normal and temporary. Sore or achy at all? That's inflammation.
  • pisilisa
    pisilisa Posts: 7
    Options
    You should try measuring your body (arms, thighs, stomach, neck) to see if there are any changes. If you're shrinking but your weight stays the same, you're losing fat but building muscle
  • DrGeriK
    DrGeriK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    LorinaLynn~You are correct, one doesn't replace fat with muscle. Fat is used up as fuel and the muscle is built by breaking it down (exercising, then healing, hence the pain) 1 lb of fat weighs the same as 1 lb of muscle BUT muscle is leaner (takes up less space) and is more metabolically active (burns more calories)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your body fat percentage, this way you can tell what's going on with your body. Invest in a body fat scale or Omron Handheld body fat monitor, if you want to continue using your scale.

Scale weight is broken down into two categories: Pounds of fat and Pounds of lean body mass (Important note: Muscles is included in the lean body mass):

Formula:

Weight x Body fat percentage = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of Fat = Pounds of Lean Body Mass

A person's pounds of fat is not the amount of fat or scale weight they need to lose. I can get into more details here, but I won't. A person wants to maintain their pounds of lean body mass or increase it. Just because a person's lean body mass increases, it doesn't mean they have gained muscle, because muscle is part of the lean body mass. Muscle growth comes with scale weight increase and body fat percentage decrease.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as replacing fat. You're either losing it, or not losing it. It doesn't turn to muscle, anymore than a lawn full of dandelions can't turn into a luscious lawn of bluegrass.

If you body is looking better, you're losing fat.

If you're not losing weight, and you're in a calorie deficit, you *might* have gained a little muscle since you're new to lifting, but it's more likely just fluid retention from the increased exercise. A new routine or increase in intensity causes small tears in the muscles, which hold fluid while they heal. It's normal and temporary. Sore or achy at all? That's inflammation.

Thank you! Love your progress by the way!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Your muscle is retaining water for one. Your fat cells after they release fat also hold water for a week or so. If you're new to strength training, you can make muscle in a deficit. In my case, I only lost 2 lbs in 5 weeks, but lost 6".
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I took pictures the other day and I definitely saw a difference, but I haven't recorded my measurements in a while. I might go do that right now....
  • acman145acp
    acman145acp Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm far from an expert on this...........

But i know for a fact you can build muscle and loose fat while lifting weights and eating a deficit.
    I'm doing it currently.

My weight loss on the scales has slowed dramatically over the last couple weeks but my body has changed considerably for the better. I'm loosing inches and muscles are developing.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Everything but my waist has stayed the same...I lost .5 inch from my waist! I can't wait to see what happens in a few more weeks, and I am so excited to start lifting three times a week instead of two!