Tofu - First time

Options
I decided I would give Tofu a whirl, I am attempting to make a stir-fry with it, and it has turned to mush. I marinated in in some soya sauce before putting it in the pan, is this suppose to happen?

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Did you get silken, soft, medium or firm tofu?

Usually you want to get firm tofu, and put it into the stir-fry last. Don't worry so much about marinating it, it actually is a good idea to open the package and let it sit a bit to let excess water drain out.
  • Chrissy979
    Chrissy979 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have never bought Tofu before I bought Silken, I only used a bit of it, as I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, I also put it in the pan first.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think Silken is best for soups and things. I have gotten firm before and still have trouble with it--but I'm totally willing to try again if I read something I think might work.
  • tatya317
    tatya317 Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm asian so I eat and breath tofu LOL.. let me know if u need any recipes. I live on stir fry too :)
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    For stir fry, I generally use firm tofu, and fry it in some pretty hot oil before adding anything else. It takes a while, but that toughens up the outside a bit to give it more texture. I do not mind the mushy texture, but most people prefer to have a bit more to chew, especially if they are not used to it.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Silken is usually used in soups/broths. So yeah, next time look for firm (if you want it in stir fry), chop it up and toss it in last. Firm tofu will crumble if you put it in first.

Also, if you only use half a brick, put the other half in an air tight container and cover with water (so the tofu is submerged). Use within 2-3 days.

Good Luck!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Tatya I would love some good tofu recipes (I'm Uk based so mat have limited access to some ingredients) I haven't tried it in years and keep meaning to but not sure what to do with it!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I eat the whole block with braggs aminos liquids!!! takes the place of shoyu. :) the silken or soft types you can also use in smoothies (don't use the whole thing!!! maybe like 1/4 or 1/2 or it want pick up the flavors!) use the firm or the extra firm to stir fry.
  • tricia78mn
    tricia78mn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For stir-fry I also buy firm tofu, press it between two plates to get some of the "juice" out, slice it into strips, then fry it in the pan with a little sesame oil (or EVOO) with minimal turning. Once the sides are browned, I remove from the pan, cook the rest of the stir fry, and add the tofu back in at the very end. This way it's got a good texture: it's not tough and overcooked nor does it turn to mush. Good luck!
  • Chrissy979
    Chrissy979 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great Thanks Everyone I will look for the Firm Tofu next time, and Tatya317, I would love a few easy recipes if you have any, and maybe some suggestions as to what I can do with a 3/4 block of Silken.
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love Tofu! :D
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Use firm or extra firm. Actually, even though I've been eating tofu for a long time, I still really prefer the seasoned baked tofu (particularly the savory/smoked). They sell it at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It's harder to find at regular grocery stores. Like any tofu, it's best to just flash fry. I like it either with a stir fry or plain with some BBQ sauce to dip.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I only use extra firm...sautee it in some sesame oil with onions, garlic and pepper...mmmm...make your stir fry as per usual and tada! I also throw it in salads when I sautee it.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've eaten tofu all my life. I normally wouldn't claim myself to be an expert on these kind of things but for tofu I am :blushing: Buy EXTRA FIRM TOFU. Half an hour before you start cooking, remove the tofu from the pkg and water. Put the tofu in a strainer to remove any excess water. Then slice up the tofu in bite size pieces and add it to your stir fry. You don't have to marinate because the tofu will be like a sponge and absorb the flavors around it. Tofu is delicious and healthy. Enjoy!

P.S. What I would probably do is slice the tofu and pan fry it first. It gives the tofu a chance to firm up some more. Then remove it from the pan. Add the veggies/sauce/whatever, cook those up, and then add the cooked tofu last minute to just warm it up.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I cook with tofu often. My husband is a ovo-lacto vegetarian and I actually have a blog were I share my recipes.

Here are my tips for preparing tofu. First, I always use extra-firm tofu, and then I do the following:

http://www.myveggietable.com/2011/09/how-to-drain-tofu.html

My favorite tofu recipe is this one
    http://www.myveggietable.com/2012/04/broccoli-and-tofu-in-spicy-peanut-sauce.html

This recipe is from the Enchanted Broccoli Forrest by Mollie Katzen and she has you boil the tofu first for a very short period of time to make it firmer.

Hope this helps.
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm super curious about tofu as well. I'm not sure if my family will like it though.
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    Definitely firm or extra firm to stirfry! As some others have mentioned, it's good to "press" your tofu too to get the excess moisture out of it before you cook. With the silken tofu, you could simply cube it and add it to a clear broth soup. You can also add it to a blender along with some frozen fruit and a little liquid to make a protein smoothie.

For future stirfries, here's a recipe from my food blog: http://nomnomcat.com/2011/11/21/quinoa-kale-and-tofu/

Hope that helps!
  • sassyleo73
    sassyleo73 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump
  • danniwhit
    danniwhit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use firm or extra firm tofu only. I remove it from the package and drain water, then wrap it in a paper towel or clean dishtowel for about 30 min pressed under something heavy. i then cube it, put a tbsp of oil in a baking pan and bake the tofu at 350 degrees for about 40 min, maybe less depending on the size of the cubes.
    Sometimes before baking I will make a marinade of a little olive oil and spices and toss the cubes in that before baking. If I do that, once it is baked I will use some in salads. Otherwise, once baked I can use it in a variety of ways. I can pan fry it a little bit in a sweet/sour, orange, sesame or other preferred sauce and serve w/ broccoli and quinoa. I also might heat it up w/ bbq sauce and have it on a wrap or in a salad that wat. I like to experiment with it and try it different ways, so once it is baked I try different sauces. I usually bake it bc I don't like mushy food and baking it gives it a better texture in my opinion.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Here is how I have had the most success with tofu:
    1. buy firm tofu
    2. Cut the block into slices about 1/2 an inch thick.
    3. Cut those slices in half and the cut those halves into triangles.
    4. Press the tofu between paper towels in order to remove as much liquid as possible.
    5. Heat a frying pan on medium (nonstick preferably).
    6. Place tofu in frying pan with no oil, cook and press with a spatula occasionally to get more liquid out.
    7. Cook on one side until golden brown and flip, pressing the liquid out on that side too.
    8. When both sides are brown, add the sauce that you are cooking with. The tofu will suck up some of the sauce because it has so much liquid removed (which makes it yummy).
    9. You can also remove it from the pan to cook your veggies, but it works a lot better when you add the sauce right after cooking the tofu.