How do you stop from continual bingeing?

Options
I've been unable to stop my bingeing! Just when i think i'm going to eat clean again, I find it so hard to control myself and I make terrible food choices. Gained back the weight I lost, so it feels like what I've worked for is gone. :/ I find that once I get back on track i can stick to it, but i'm finding it so hard. Any tips??

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mental strength is the only thing that will stop me from bingeing. Mental strength = making a choice = decision and commitment. We make decisions all day, every day. I have to ask myself - what do I want the most? Do I really "need" some of that chocolate cake? Or do I WANT a slimmer and healthier body? I ask myself that question every single time I am facing temptation. I also make sure I don't get to the stage of ravenous hunger, that always leads to bingeing. Good luck.
  • triggs456
    triggs456 Posts: 14
    Options
    Eat snacks throughout the day, just not snack foods. some of my favorite snacks that are healthy/low in calories are:
    oranges/apples
    strawberries/string cheese
    banana
    spinach w/low calorie dressing
    just dont fill yourself up with empty calories!
    good luck!!
  • brandy_nurs24
    Options
    Don't deny yourself something sweet if that's what you binge on. Have some chocolate or a bowl of icecream. A small amount isn't going to hurt. Add it in your log and as long as your hitting your calories you still good. I find if I deny myself for it, I do for alil then go crazy and eat all the sweets in site. Which is a lot cus I work at the hospital and there is a vending machine at the end of the hall :-) So don't deny yourself a treat......just in moderation.
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks guys. I did try and indulge myself so that I didn't go crazy, but certain foods I think i shouldn't indulge on! I was craving nachos so I tried to get low fat ingredients for it, but ended up being unable to control it, just kept munching and dipping :p and cravings for muffins don't help either because i tend to want more the next day. i need to find better solutions to certain cravings!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump...in this situation right now...
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I always say "Fake it until you make it". Wake up tomorrow and just pretend you are on the wagon and eat and behave like you are. Pretty soon you won't have to fake it. Good luck, we have all been there and you can do it!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    For me, a combination of boredom, too much restriction and tiredness lead to binges.
    I am now trying to get to bed earlier, do different things to occupy myself and allow myself a few really nice quality chocolates each evening between my dinner and my more nutritious yoghurt/fruit dessert. If you have a moment in the day when you fancy a treat, and deny it, it can be worse in the long run, I have found, and lead to binge eating later. Just try and keep 80% of your food intake nutritious and healthy, and allow the other 20% to be less healthy and see if that works, not that all chocolate etc is totally unhealthy anyway. Aside from that, I would agree on mental strength. Pause and actually think about what you are about to eat, and why you are about to eat it, and if you are actually hungry and need something more substantial than a sweet treat etc.
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I notice that I binge when I am tired so I keep healthy foods just for the occasion. I have no willpower when I am half asleep but having snacks nearby helps.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump thanks for the advice
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    After a binge, it takes me 2 or 3 days before it's not really hard not to binge again. I try to tell myself that if I still want something after an hour and a glass of water and maybe a healthier snack, I can have it. A lot of times that "cooling off" period is enough. Sometimes, it's not, and I have the ice cream or whatever, but I have better control over portions after my rational mind kicks in. It's tough, I'm definitely the "can't eat just one" type when left on my own, especially with sweets.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I have found that the fake stuff, or even just a tiny bit of the real stuff, makes me want to binge even more. I started out chewing gum when I got the munchies, and all it did was make me obsess over wanting sweets. Cold turkey was the only way for me, but I have very little self control once I get started :smile:
  • LadyDiaw
    LadyDiaw Posts: 10
    Options
    Like triggs said snacking throughout the day really helps, because it feels like you are always eating so you aren't depriving yourself. It also helps to speed up your metabolism throughout the day.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat junk...I have a hard time stopping myself. Sugar is very addicting. I have been eating clean for 3 weeks. Only eating fresh fruits & veggies grown above the ground but no corn. eating mostly homecooked meals with no sugar or fat. I have been losing pretty good from it. I don't have cravings for the junk either, but if I eat some I'm sure I would be hooked again.
  • vivo
    Options
    I have found that the fake stuff, or even just a tiny bit of the real stuff, makes me want to binge even more. I started out chewing gum when I got the munchies, and all it did was make me obsess over wanting sweets. Cold turkey was the only way for me, but I have very little self control once I get started :smile:

I'm exactly the same!! I usually eat low carb protein bars when I crave chocolate or drink hot cocoa. it tends to curb my cravings for a bit but then I start obsessing over it! What i think would work is if I make a habit of snacks that work for me, and avoid obvious trigger foods. chips or popcorn is not something I can eat in moderation
  • vivo
    Options
    Like triggs said snacking throughout the day really helps, because it feels like you are always eating so you aren't depriving yourself. It also helps to speed up your metabolism throughout the day.

hi! I do actually snack throughout the day. but it's certain cravings that come up and is hard to control :p
  • vivo
    Options
    I find if I eat junk...I have a hard time stopping myself. Sugar is very addicting. I have been eating clean for 3 weeks. Only eating fresh fruits & veggies grown above the ground but no corn. eating mostly homecooked meals with no sugar or fat. I have been losing pretty good from it. I don't have cravings for the junk either, but if I eat some I'm sure I would be hooked again.

That's really great to hear! I was wrong when I though I could eat junk in moderation, its too tough and i don't think its for me. I'm better off sticking to clean food. I'm studying overseas so everything I feel lke eating is much more accesible compared to being at home. We have certain hours of eating and there aren't snacks around- plus it isn't normal to snack.

I just find it hard to get back into the clean eating habit!!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Therapy (originally started for something else) has been helping me figure out WHY I binge. So I'm working hard on the underlying issues--which I never knew even existed until recently, as I had always just figured I was lazy, weak, simply had bad food habits--and the eating part is getting better as a result.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I'm exactly the same!! I usually eat low carb protein bars when I crave chocolate or drink hot cocoa. it tends to curb my cravings for a bit but then I start obsessing over it! What i think would work is if I make a habit of snacks that work for me, and avoid obvious trigger foods. chips or popcorn is not something I can eat in moderation

The Zone bars are terrible for that. About two hours after I eat one, all I can think about is candy bars!

I'm also a mindless eater when I watch TV (which I don't watch a lot of) so I've limited myself to two items that I can stuff my face with as long as I log them - cucumber slices and completely dry, air popped popcorn (low cal, high in fiber). It helps!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    perhaps you're not yet committed to this...return in a couple of months and start the work you could be done by then again ;)
  • eatandexercise1
    eatandexercise1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    OK, I have had SERIOUS issues with continual bingeing.

I never would've believed this at the time, but the fix for me was very simple.

I had gotten into terrible habits, and was bingeing daily. But, I finally realized that if I recognized the EMOTIONS and changed the ENVIRONMENT of the binge, then suddenly I wasn't tempted to binge anymore. So simple, why didn't I try this before?

Example: I would binge every day after dinner. I finally realized it was because I was feeling lonely, rejected and bored. So I started getting on MFP every night after dinner, or reading a good book, or calling family... It helped me feel motivated and helped me focus my mind on something positive. Ever since that switch, I have no problem with daily bingeing. Yes, it is still an occasional problem, but not every day. And I am starting to slowly lose the weight.

You can do it too. Figure out what emotions you're using food to medicate, address those emotions in a healthy way, and change the environment of the binge. Like if you always binge in front of the TV, stop watching TV for a while, etc.