Lifting Question.

Options
In an attempt to lose fat, and tone up.... I have always heard that it is better to use lighter weights, for more reps. But, to build muscle mass, use much heavier weights, even if you only do 6-8 reps.

I want to lose fat, and gain some definition. Right now I do a "circuit" training program that works all the muscle groups, giving a short rest (20-30 seconds) between exercises. The weight is low. I warm up and cool down with 5 minutes on a stationary bike, and a 1/2 mile walk.

Would I burn more fat by increasing the weight, and decresing the reps?
And, is it good to shoot for, say... 6-8 reps at high weight.... or lift til ya can't lift no more. If you can do 8, try for 10. when you can do 10 easily, add more weight.

Replies

• lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    In an attempt to lose fat, and tone up.... I have always heard that it is better to use lighter weights, for more reps. But, to build muscle mass, use much heavier weights, even if you only do 6-8 reps.

I want to lose fat, and gain some definition. Right now I do a "circuit" training program that works all the muscle groups, giving a short rest (20-30 seconds) between exercises. The weight is low. I warm up and cool down with 5 minutes on a stationary bike, and a 1/2 mile walk.

And, is it good to shoot for, say... 6-8 reps at high weight.... or lift til ya can't lift no more. If you can do 8, try for 10. when you can do 10 easily, add more weight.

this is the way i have been told to do it
    have you checked out stronglifts 5x5
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Personally as a powerlifter, bodybuilder and now as someone concentrating on reducing body fat and increasing overall fitness, ive used a mix of low reps for close to max lifts and higher reps with lighter weights.

Ive found the type of exercise you do is a lot more important than playing with the rep schemes, concentrate on barbell compound movements like Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Bench Press, Cleans, Overhead/Military/Push press and some bodyweight stuff like chins, dips and push ups and you cant go wrong.

If you do decide to do some isolation work (many say not neccesary but i do some as i quite enjoy the temporary muscle hardness you get from it :) ) then that works better at higher rep ranges i find.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I always recommend going heavy to really build muscle and assist with fat loss. A low weight circuit that focuses on full body can be a nice "finisher" once or twice a week, but if you are doing it more than that you will likely not see the results you want. Here is just a sample workout that may work for what you are looking for: (do 4 different exercises for each major muscle group-go heavy and do 4 sets of each exercise 6-8 reps with only 45 seconds rest between sets).

Mondays: Warm up with 10 minutes light, fat burning cardio. Heavy Chest & Triceps

Tuesdays: 30 minutes light, fat burning cardio. Weighted abs and heavy shoulders

Wednesday: REST or your circuit

Thursdays: 30 minutes light, fat burning cardio. Heavy Back & Biceps

Fridays: Warm up with 10 minutes light, fat burning cardio. Full leg & butt workout- this may take up to 90 minutes so you can hit every major muscle group in the legs- quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes, adductors, abductors, etc. Increase your rest between sets to about 90 seconds.

Saturdays: 30 minutes light, fat burning cardio. Weighted abs & upper body circuit.

Sundays: Rest

Another critical competent to getting lean is your diet- getting that dialed in based on your current weight and goals will make a HUGE difference in your results. Best of luck!
  • lisa28115
    Options
    you need to get 30% protein
    and it probably would not hurt you to up your calories to 1800 per day
    message helloitsdan he knows alot about diet and lifting heavy
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the pointers.. :)
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Heavy relative to your strength. I've lost over 9lbs and gained noticeable difference in muscle gain and definition in just over a month. Would be easy to lose more weight as I do very light cardio on non lifting days... Usually lol.
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere the toning is a bit of a myth. You are either building muscle or you aren't. Strength training has worked for me to shrink but my weight loss is at a stand still. I'm ok with that since I'm always being told I'm just shrinking everytime people see me again. I haven't lost a single pound for almost a month. I'm wanting to build a lot more muscle to help assist in my weight loss. We will both get there!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere the toning is a bit of a myth. You are either building muscle or you aren't. Strength training has worked for me to shrink but my weight loss is at a stand still. I'm ok with that since I'm always being told I'm just shrinking everytime people see me again. I haven't lost a single pound for almost a month. I'm wanting to build a lot more muscle to help assist in my weight loss. We will both get there!

I've not lost these last few weeks but I'm the same as you people have noticed the difference. Body composition > toning
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The reason people say lifting low weight for high reps is best for fat burning is that your body doesn't need as much time to recover from the light lifting, which means you can lift again sooner, which keeps your heart rate up, which means you're just doing cardio.

If you want to maximize your muscle size, do 8-12 reps, struggling on the final rep. If you want to gain strength, do 3-5 reps. Now if you're new to lifting, you will gain muscle size doing strength training. That being said, I like to recommend some sort of 5x5 workout, Stronglifts being my recommendation for newbies.
  • tony1307
    Options
    Thanks to you all.
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options

Just trying to help:

1. rather do some serious interval cardio than lifting light weights for lots of reps
    2. You cannot define your muscles, your mom and dad decided how they are going to look when they made you.
    3. If you mean you want to look more athletic, loose the fat around the muscles, you will then be able to see them. As for their shape, you cannot change that. You can however make them bigger.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Tony I lost 83 lbs by lifting heavy 4 days per week ( 8 reps) and cardio 3 days per week. Neither cardio or lifting burns fat. Eating at a deficit does.
  • tony1307
    Options
    Thanks... I will be swtiching to higher weights/fewer reps next time.
    I also just started C25K a few days ago.
    weights mon-wed-fri
    C25K tues thurs sat
    Stationary bike every morning
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I have been doing the same thing. I am glad it's normal. :)
  • lisa28115
    Options
    Thanks... I will be swtiching to higher weights/fewer reps next time.
    I also just started C25K a few days ago.
    weights mon-wed-fri
    C25K tues thurs sat
    Stationary bike every morning

That sounds like a good plan Tony

Good Luck with your new routine :bigsmile: