Best Exercises For Calorie Burn ?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I currently do a lot of heavy cycling, burning around 400 calories an hour.
But, I am getting a bit bored of cycling everyday and want to add some different activities.

What exercise can I do that will offer me a similar burn. bearing in mind I often go for 2 hour cycles, and so burn about 800 + calories per session ?

Replies

• scarticia
    scarticia Posts: 16
    Options
    I use the elliptical I am slow but I average around 500 calories in 40 minutes
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Running!
    I burn around 10 cals/minute, though this will vary depending on your weight.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Running is probably the best for burn but impact it higher, swimming is good, lower impact for higher burn, if you have access to a gym and they have a versa climber, that can burn a lot with lower impact. I also cycle very often, to keep it interesting I change where I ride and the intensity that I ride. Most of my rides are off road in technical terrain, I do ride on the road once a week for a 40-50 mile ride to increase endurance while using my off road rides for the technical training and adrenaline rush which burns stress and calories. Try to challenge yourself on the bike, find a course and once or twice a week try to go faster and improve your time over distance, might help to keep if from being boring. Spin classes are also an option to mix things up.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Running, definitely. I just went for a 43 minutes run and burned nearly 560 calories. I haven't found any better exercise, save maybe those Insanity videos, for calorie burn.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Zumba is lots of fun and burns lots of calories!
  • mydogbrodie
    Options
    I love zumba there is nothing like it!!!
  • piglet1643
    Options

I agree! I do Zumba three times a week for an hour each time and always burn between 950 and 1100 calories each time. It is so fun, I don't even realize I'm working out!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do HIIT intervals. if you dont want to run you can do something like this on the treadmill

- pick a speed where you're almost at your threshold to need to run but can still walk.
    - pick an incline above 6
    -alternate speed walking uphill and resting with your feet on the side of the machine for 15 second intervals each,

try not to hold on to the machine when you speedwalk.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Power Cleans. They give a fantastic burn. I am trashed after 4 sets. That is why they are first in the lifting routine.
  • AssembledIncorrectly
    AssembledIncorrectly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What would u add Zumba as in your exercise log?
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    do HIIT intervals. if you dont want to run you can do something like this on the treadmill

- pick a speed where you're almost at your threshold to need to run but can still walk.
    -alternate speed walking uphill and resting with your feet on the side of the machine for 15 second intervals each,

• samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

I'm gonna try this. How long do you recommend doing this?
  • mydogbrodie
    Options
    Im trying to get into cycling but now sure what to do?
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    What would u add Zumba as in your exercise log?

I log it as aerobic dancing.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options

I agree! I do Zumba three times a week for an hour each time and always burn between 950 and 1100 calories each time. It is so fun, I don't even realize I'm working out!

I burn a little over 700 calories in my high-intensity class and over 600 calories in my low-intensity class. I like the classes better than the wii or tapes/dvd. My nieces used to do wii, but now that they come to classes w/me, they are MORE excited about it.

I think if you go to ZumbaCalories.com, you can get a general idea of what you would burn.