Confused! Am I good with 1200 cal/day & getting the starvati

Options
Hi everyone! I read through some blogs and saw the post about success with major calories. Now, I am not that sure if its okay to be at 1200 (wanted to lose 2 lbs/week). Last week I was at 1380 cal/day and lost 4 lbs, and that time I also went less than 1200 and get the starvation mode advice. I'm really trying my best with the 1200 and I try not to eat back what I exercise. EVery morning I always feel hungry and sore but I just think to myself the pounds that I'll be losing.

I need advice and help, I really want to keep losing pounds. I am at 148.6 lbs now, 5"3. Thanks! I want to know if I am doing it right, just started this thing.

Replies

• jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do your net should never go below 1200.
  • pippiagain
    Options
    Feed yourself!! If you eat too little, you metabolism will slow. Make a big pot of soup with chicken broth (low sodium) and lots and lots of veggies. Add some Italian sesoning. Nearly no calories, but really filling when you feel the need to eat the world!!
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    And also, I love to eat! I love chocolates, and will eat every 3 hours or whenever I'm bored. So what I am doing now is really hard. I'm a different person now. When I started this MFP, after my first 2 wks I lost 1. something pounds, then the following week went over my projected cal/day 2x and gained 2 lbs! (and I had chocolates) But since last week, I am really strict with my cal intake esp now that I can see the pounds shedding off.
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do your net should never go below 1200.

Well said! Its so dangerous!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Really the only people who should be losing 2 pounds a week are at a higher weight than you appear to be. Your ticker shows you are only trying to lose 13 total so really 1/2 to 1 pound a week is probably safer and much easier to follow. You are hungry for a reason, you need more food.
  • Wiley1A
    Wiley1A Posts: 3
    Options
    Make sure to eat a big breakfast with lots of protein. And if your body isn't getting enough nutrients from your food it will hold on to your fat and it will be harder to loose any weight. Focus on being healthy, eat right and exercise. :happy:
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your size and weight and exercise habits. You can't be working off all your calories and then have nothing for your muscles and body to run on... So, if you're exercising alot you need to eat more to keep your body functioning at full capacity. You don't want to malnutrition yourself, also, so make sure alot of the calories you eat are healthy ones. :) Or try to atleast.

Mine always warns me to not go below 1200 calories, also. So I try to keep around that. And exercise about 30 min a day for now...

Good luck with the weight!
  • ems1583
    Options
    I thought it was okay, last night I didn't get the "starvation mode" coz I had 1213 lol
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 12 weeks by eating 1200 cals. very occasionally id go over just a little & one night Id go over a lot say by 500 or more calories in. I would sometimes only eat like 100 of my calories burned and I did fine, if you eat quality food you wont get hungry.
    BUT I have read that others do just as well on 1400 a day.
    We are all different though.
  • Wiley1A
    Wiley1A Posts: 3
    Options
    oh and if you are working out it is normal to gain some weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. Especially if you are new to working out you are probably going to gain a few muscle pounds. It is ok. Take your measurements and judge your progress more by that than the scale. Another good indicator is how your clothes are fitting.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. In my personal opnion, you are not eatting enough. Increase your protein and try to add some new foods. I didn't see a lot of veggies but I did read fast.

You want to be netting 1200.

I would suggest just searching in the community section and reading differnet success stories...

Yes eatting less than 1200 you are going to drop your weight quickly and eventually it will stop...as you add more food...you will gain weight again...its not the best way to lose weight and almost always you will gain it back and do some damage to your system!

You could be sore b/c your body needs more fuel.....

You only seem to have another 9 pounds to lose...I would go back to the 1 pound per week or 1/2 a pound per week......again these are just my suggestions from what I have learned here on MFP and from the trainers I talk to at my gym......
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That sounds fine, but on't go below 1200 calories ESPECIALLY if you exercise.
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Really the only people who should be losing 2 pounds a week are at a higher weight than you appear to be. Your ticker shows you are only trying to lose 13 total so really 1/2 to 1 pound a week is probably safer and much easier to follow. You are hungry for a reason, you need more food.

I agree with this. I am bigger than you, I started at 202, so that could be why I lost a lot each week?
    You only having so little to lose maybe you could up your calories?
  • ems1583
    Options
    Coz I'm kinda scared to overeat and gain again lbs, its the worst feeling now for me. I want to lose weight fast that's why I'm setting my goals kinda high. Tomorrow is my weigh in day, I'm excited! Is it really dangerous to be less than 1200? I take protein shake 2x/day and lots of fruits. I don't like vegetables. At work today, I kinda felt tired and really exhausted but it went away. I don't know if its because of that, its Thursday anyway, almost end of work week.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Coz I'm kinda scared to overeat and gain again lbs, its the worst feeling now for me. I want to lose weight fast that's why I'm setting my goals kinda high. Tomorrow is my weigh in day, I'm excited! Is it really dangerous to be less than 1200? I take protein shake 2x/day and lots of fruits. I don't like vegetables. At work today, I kinda felt tired and really exhausted but it went away. I don't know if its because of that, its Thursday anyway, almost end of work week.

Find a way to like veggies or get a veggie supplement. Fruit is great....but in moderation like everything else.....very high in sugar.....

Protein shakes are great but try nuts or avacado as a snack to give you the good fats and calories. Try some high protein foods instead of skakes....shakes are great but they are not real food!

Hard Boiled Eggs are a great snack

Greek Yogurt or yogurt and cottage cheese are also great things. Mix your fruit into some cottage cheese......
  • amculver1
    amculver1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're tiny. In my not so humble opinion, 2lbs a week is going to be hard to maintain and you're being far too aggressive. EAT more calories. Your NET shouldn't be below 1200. And even then...if it were me? 1500 or MORE a day of NET calories. You want to lose weight and you want to keep it off forever.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    To use myself as an example. I am 5' and 120.4 pounds right now. I eat 1800-1900 calories a day and am still losing up to a pound a week. My workouts burn no more than 400 calories most days so still a net of 1400-1500 on my highest workout day. You just need to find the balance of foods that are good for you and keep you from overeating.
  • Mariad1964
    Options
    Good to know, I was confused too!
  • ems1583
    Options
    oh and if you are working out it is normal to gain some weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. Especially if you are new to working out you are probably going to gain a few muscle pounds. It is ok. Take your measurements and judge your progress more by that than the scale. Another good indicator is how your clothes are fitting.

Right now I am just doing cardio workout, its just today that I decided to add some toning, but still gonna continue with more cardio. Most of my clothes now are getting loose.