Bodymedia Fit TDEE Adjustments

Options
I just got a BMF about 2 days ago and I can't find the answers to my questions on the forum. My main question is how do I eat at a deficit for the current day if I don't get the information from it until the technical end of the day (midnight)? For example, right now it is 915 pm and my TDEE is logged as 2143, but the total day won't be done until midnight and I want to have a slight deficit with my eating (~200-250) so how do I know how much more to eat? Do people use the previous day's info or what?

TIA

Replies

• lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • samthomason
    samthomason Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump! someone has to know!
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I have only had mine for a week, but this is what I do:

Body Media gave me a 1700 cal goal, as an estimate.
    MFP, pretty much the same.

I aim for that goal, if I exercise (which i need to do more of...) I plug it in, see how many more calories I should get. I usually aim for a 500 cal deficit for a 1lb a week loss. If I get less than that, ok. I'm not too uptight about it! But since I have had it for a week, I find I average about 2200-2300 calories burned on a "lazy" day. Sometimes I have to plug it in and check, but it's worth those two extra minutes. I'm sure once I become more accustomed to it, and learn my averages, it will be easier. But I usually plug it in to see where I am at, after work, before I eat dinner, and after a workout. After that...my lazy time....I can estimate, because I burn apx. 1.4 cals per minute. So whatever time I have left, I can estimate and add it to the current total.

P.S. i use MFP to track my calorie intake, then enter my total onto Body Media under the Nutrition tab-Daily Estimate. Less logging :wink:
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    what i do i estimate it, my lowest value... for example my lowest calorie burn is 2.4/cal per minute. If it's 6pm, i do

2.4 * 60 = 144 calories per hour

144 * 6hrs = 864, and i add this to my total burn so far.

Much more simply put! Do this! Find your lowest calorie burn per minute, multiply that by 60, and multiply by how many hours left til midnight!

Well done!
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I thought it kind of gave you an estimate for the end of the day if you slid the little bar around, on the website graph, unless you do some exercise or activity. After a few weeks, I can kind of guess on how much a day I'll burn based on activities and such at least a rough estimate.
  • flippmode
    flippmode Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been using a BMF for about half a year now, after about a week or so it will give you an estimate of the calories projected to be burned that day (it will also be more accurate after a week since it has to adjust and learn your body/habits first). So for example if you plug it in at 7pm and let it sync, it will show you a shadow in the calories burned section behind your actual burned calories, estimating how much you will burn that day.

i can take a screenshot when i get home from work if you would like.
  • samthomason
    samthomason Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I wasn't even aware it could project your calories; that's so awesome!!!
  • JhKd
    JhKd Posts: 20
    Options
    The projections definitely get more accurate over time, I think it learns to average what your usual burn rate is during any given time frame and just uses that. I find that my 'estimated' calories for the day usually end up +/- 50 calories or so from what it ends up measuring.
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    where are yall buying your bodymediafits? where's the best deal? im needing a bday present for MYSELF!
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    When I set mine up it told me how much to eat based off my goals. Did you set your goals?
  • flippmode
    Options
    where are yall buying your bodymediafits? where's the best deal? im needing a bday present for MYSELF!

I got mine at Costco, at the time when i bought it it included a 1 year subscription, i think they reduced it to 6 months now. Still a lot better than anywhere else i believe.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I got mine at Costco, at the time when i bought it it included a 1 year subscription, i think they reduced it to 6 months now. Still a lot better than anywhere else i believe.

I got mine from Costco online. At the time, they still had the ones with a 12 mo sub included while the ones in the store were 6 mo. Not sure about now, though.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Got mine on Amazon pretty cheaply, but I also got the LINK so that I could keep track of my deficit throughout the day via my phone. It wasn't that much more and I really like having the workout timer, it helps me input the right number in here on MFP

I know some people just offset a day so when they sync at the end of the day, they have the number of deficit or overage for the next day. Me, I just plug in my daily estimate on my phone and eat what I need to keep the day at a steady 1k deficit. Doing this, I have lost almost 7 pounds in the 2.5 weeks I've had it.

It is soooo helpful, changed a lot of my MFP numbers too.
  • mabennett
    Options
    no costco around here. just a sams. do you have to have a costco membership to order online?
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    no costco around here. just a sams. do you have to have a costco membership to order online?

i just got mine last week from costco.com and they still have the 1year membership online. I believe you can still order it online if you're not a member but there is a surcharge. Not sure though.

ps-i saw some on amazon.com last week in the $120-130 range for the link version. That's where id go if i wasnt a costco member.
  • mabennett
    Options
    thanks yall!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    after a week, you can usually figure out what your approximate burn everyday will be. You will have to estimate how many calories you will burn to determine what you should eat.

BTW, i love my bodymedia fit (I have the link)
  • flippmode
    Options

Yes you can order online, but there is a 10% non member fee as far as i know.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late, but Best Buy sells them also. I don't know about the subscription though.
  • mabennett
    Options
    ok i bought mine off ebay. got it in yesterday and hooked it all up and slept in it. it is now lunch time and it shows i've already burned 2400 cals since 10 pm last night. does that seem accurate??? i have a desk job where every 30 min i am up and walking around for a few minutes.