Ladies need help

Options
I see alot of females here doing Jillian Michaels 30DS. Are any of her other DVDs worth a look or is 30DS the best one. I ask because I am looking for a good workout video to get for my wife. I've been doing Insanity and she had wanted to do it but after doing fit test she concluded it was way too advanced for her.

So basically looking for a very good workout but one that will motivate her and not discourage her. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jennifer783
    jennifer783 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know a thing about 30DS, sorry. But Slim in 6 by Debbie Siebers is one I'd recommend. My mom even ordered a copy for herself and loves it. Good luck! :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally like Jillian's Shred it with Weights better than the 30DS
  • Pfitzer
    Pfitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try turbo jam, they are a lot of fun, and burn a lot of calories while building muscle. I've lost 50 lbs (not all on MFP) over the last year doing turbo jam,, lifting weights once a week and watching what I eat.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options

Does that require alot of weights. We dont have any and Im not sure I wanna invest in too many because we got a small house.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    30DS is a good one, and I personally LOVE Zumba. If you have an Xbox or Wii you can also get her the Zumba game, which makes it a little more fun (the xbox is what I recommend, just since I own one and can't wait for the new downloads) I'm also going to try the JM Yoga Meltdown and Shred it with weights in the next few months.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser Videos!

And Bob Harper's- Inside Out Method! (I will be able to do the whole thing by the end of the year... I hope) lol
  • mmarin81
    Options
    May I add she does go to Zumba 2 nights a week also she has the zumba tapes. Also we have a 2 yr old so a quick workout will be best as well.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam is so fun and not to hard to do. I love turbo Jam =)
  • crknitz
    crknitz Posts: 2
    Options
    I recommend Violet Zaki's Weight Loss Cardio Kick and Cardio Sculpt videos. She encourages you throughout the workouts (20 min workouts, 2 workouts per DVD), the moves are easy to follow, and it's great cardio.
  • tropaze
    Options

Does that require alot of weights. We dont have any and Im not sure I wanna invest in too many because we got a small house.

From what I've seen it only requires a kettlebell. 30DS needs a set of handweights and if it's on a hard surface they recommend a mat.
  • byronguy74
    Options
    Not a lady but I am doing the 30 day shred (today was the first time for level 2 and I thought I was gonna die by the time it was over). I have also done the 10 minute trainer and really liked it - it is by Tony Horton so it is kinda like a p90x light. I also have p90x and insanity but I dont even want to try those yet!
  • Wiley1A
    Wiley1A Posts: 3
    Options
    I liked the 30ds. I think Jillian does a good job explaining the moves and giving alternates for those who may need them. There are 3 different levels on the dvd and as your wife progresses she can work up to the higher levels.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have obly done 30DS twice and it is okay. The plus is that it is short, but it is kind of intense if she is not used to working out and it may discourage her. How old is your wife? If she is older (like me-40), I would highly recommend the Firm videos. I have been doing these for about 15 years and they work well for any level...easily adapted as you increase you fitness because they use weights. They constantly put out new vieos, so they offer something new. A good set of starter weight (3,5,8 lbs) or resistance band and one or two of the videos is a great place to start. Most of the videos have 3 workouts ranging from 30-50 minutes, so that's nice too because you can always fit it into your schedule. You can buy them on line or at Target or Sam's Club/Costco type places.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i enjoy the 30ds and also enjoying the banish fat boost metabolism, plus no more trouble zones from jillian michaels. it doesnt require a whole lot of weights. i use 3lb dumbbells with all of them. i hope this helps.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how active she is. 30DS is too rough for me and discourages me from working out as well as hurting my legs pretty bad, so I only occasionally use it. I tend to like workout dvd's for something new or fun.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian's Ripped in 30, and I personally don't find 30 minutes to be enough of a workout. Not to say that what's there is not challenging, but it ends too quickly. I like Bob Harper's workouts (Pure Burn Super Strength and Totally Ripped Core) better. They are probably less intense than Insanity, but more than JM's workouts.

If she is looking for a way to get started, I'd strongly recommend yoga and pilates. You can get a pretty good butt kicking, but there are generally modifications offered.
  • mmarin81
    Options
    I have Jillian's Ripped in 30, and I personally don't find 30 minutes to be enough of a workout. Not to say that what's there is not challenging, but it ends too quickly. I like Bob Harper's workouts (Pure Burn Super Strength and Totally Ripped Core) better. They are probably less intense than Insanity, but more than JM's workouts.

If she is looking for a way to get started, I'd strongly recommend yoga and pilates. You can get a pretty good butt kicking, but there are generally modifications offered.

We use to take a spin class together and also kickboxing. Activity has gone down since baby and such but I know she can do it. I think yoga and pilates will not be exciting enough for her.
  • tropaze
    Options
    OP if you or your wife can access youtube, they have the first level of JM 30DS.
    Here's the link
    http://youtu.be/1Pc-NizMgg8
    It's the reason I bought the DVD. I thought I could handle workout level one and move onto the other levels. The user who uploaded this video also has a few of the other JM dvd workouts in their uploads.
  • mmarin81
    Options
    OP if you or your wife can access youtube, they have the first level of JM 30DS.
    Here's the link
    http://youtu.be/1Pc-NizMgg8
    It's the reason I bought the DVD. I thought I could handle workout level one and move onto the other levels. The user who uploaded this video also has a few of the other JM dvd workouts in their uploads.

I found the dvd on amazon for about $7 so I think I will go with this and build from there.
  • tropaze
    Options
    I bought it because of the video, it just gave me an idea of what the workouts were like. They don't have all of the levels and it would peeve me off to start and not get to move up like I should. But it give you a general idea of what the DVD's are like.