Ladies need help

Options
2»

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    We use to take a spin class together and also kickboxing. Activity has gone down since baby and such but I know she can do it. I think yoga and pilates will not be exciting enough for her.

That would depend a lot on the workouts! I used to do yoga, strength training, and hiked a lot, pre-kid (I have a two year old as well). I did a bunch of pilates and yoga for the last few weeks to get reacquainted, and did the 'beginner' version of Bryan Kest's DVD today. That was HARD. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Complete-Collection/dp/B0001WTWYC/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1334285226&sr=1-1. I looked at the intermediate version, and it's going to be a workout and a half!
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies. I will definitely look into all of this options. Based on price and lenght of video I may start with the 30DS but now I do have some choices to go to.

:flowerforyou:
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Awwww that's so sweet of you!!! <3

To be honest, any workout can be modified to become something that someone can do. I am currently doing P90X, which is really difficult, but I just modify pretty much all of the moves so that I can do them. My trick is to keep the mindset of "Whatever you can do is better than nothing!" I don't have to keep up with the people on the video the entire time, I just need to participate as best I can, and just participation is a great workout and I burn a lot of calories and am gaining muscle. You are already being very helpful to her, so I'm sure whatever workout video you come up with you'll have the most important part down pat - encouraging her!!!

Best of luck!! ^_^
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 4 of 20 day shred. I will tell you, Day 1 was intense, Day 2 I felt like I WAS one big bruise -- everything just HURT, Day 3 was still pretty painful. Today I woke up and was fine, and the workout was much easier. Part of my problem is the DVD recommends starting with a set of 3 lb hand weights. All I had was 5 lbs, so I used those... OUCH!
    It is quick, and when it gets intense, I tell myself "I can do ANYTHING for 20 minutes."
    I don't have any word on results, yet.
    I have never been a Jillian Michaels fan (I think she is sort of annoying, just her voice, etc.), so I AM getting tired of listening to her talk.
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I started the weight loss and workout journey a bit less than a month ago.

I ordered and received today the 30 day shred. I did the Level 1 Day 1. It was challenging but not impossible. I opted for handweights (went to WalMart and got them for $6 each) and laid a towel on our area rug.

I would label my life as mostly sedentary.

It's $6.95 on EBay for the 30 Day Shred. Not bad at all!
  • mmarin81
    Options
    I am on Day 4 of 20 day shred. I will tell you, Day 1 was intense, Day 2 I felt like I WAS one big bruise -- everything just HURT, Day 3 was still pretty painful. Today I woke up and was fine, and the workout was much easier. Part of my problem is the DVD recommends starting with a set of 3 lb hand weights. All I had was 5 lbs, so I used those... OUCH!
    It is quick, and when it gets intense, I tell myself "I can do ANYTHING for 20 minutes."
    I have never been a Jillian Michaels fan (I think she is sort of annoying, just her voice, etc.), so I AM getting tired of listening to her talk.

Haha! Sorry to hear about the extra weight. I may have to get her some lighter dumbbells than. I had 10lbs here and I thought that would be fine.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    You should suggest pilates to her. I have a bunch of dvds, and I truly lokk forward to doing it every morning.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

I didn't realize until after I got her DVD just how annoying she was! I 'm also not the least bit sore after, and end up doing a separate core workout. 3 minutes of core is just not doing anything.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Haha! Sorry to hear about the extra weight. I may have to get her some lighter dumbbells than. I had 10lbs here and I thought that would be fine.

You definately might want to check with her (she might be able to handle 10lbs). I did the same thing (started with 5 lbs) and had the same results. Today was day 4 and it doesn't hurt like it did, but the first two or three days were rougher.
  • mmarin81
    Options
    So I just ordered 30DS and Ripped in 30. Thanks all!
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    30DS is good but I get bored of it quite easy, I do love the Biggest Loser DVD though as there are several workouts ranging from high intensity 10 minutes to low/high intensity 20mins, body sculpting, and boot camp.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally like Jillian's Shred it with Weights better than the 30DS

Does that require alot of weights. We dont have any and Im not sure I wanna invest in too many because we got a small house.

Nope, just a kettlebell or two. I use a 5 pound, but think that I could use an 8 pound one on some of the moves. You can get them relatively cheap at Walmart!
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If your wife is into reading, I suggest trying "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." Great book - Successful. I feel stronger and feel a lot more comfortable in my clothing.
  • TracyKowalski
    Options
    I enjoy doing bellydance videos. Not only easy in the beginning stages but low impact and no gear to get to start. You can add advanced work outs after the basic moves are learned. Righ now I'm using Veena and Neena Present Bellydance Fitness for Beginners from the Naturaljourneys collection. Might not look like a workout but by the time you finish the 30 minute video your heart rate is up and you can feel how much your muscles have worked. It's also a nice break from other work out videos. :)
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I tried P90X and Insanity and it was too intense for me so I ended up getting Supreme 90 Day. It is a modified version of the two. It is a set of 10 dvds, the longest one being about 50 minutes long. You can purchase it at Walmart for $19.99 or better yet, you can find it at Sports Authority for $9.99. Some people said that they were able to find it at their drug stores for as little as $5.00.