Food Prep for the week

Options
I'm new to the whole lets actually eat healthy things, so I was doing a lot of research on what not to eat and what to eat. I understand a lot of the frozen "healthy" foods are bad for you, due to high sodium, low protein, etc. etc. I'm trying to start preparing in advance because I work 12 hour days. What foods are better to freeze? I really love veggies, and stir fry. I guess I'm trying to ask, how to go about making large quantities of food for the week meals?

Thanks for any help!!

Replies

• Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the nutritional values, but when you enter a new recipie under the recipre tab in the diary and save, it gives the nutritional value per serving based on the ingredients you used to make it. That being said...

My favorite cookbook is: Don't Panic, Dinner's in the freezer. (I love nearly all the recipies)

The cook book teaches you freezing methods, and the best ways to freeze meals as well as save space. The cookbook also gives charts on how long foods can be frozen.

Don't let the title fool you tho, because the cookbook contains breakfast, appetizers, soups, and desserts too! And most importantly to me, most of the recipies are not casseroles!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I make chili or chicken noodle soup in large batches and put it in serving size containers to freeze. Or pasta sauce ahead of time and freeze it. I work 12's too, so it's very convenient to just grab my lunch out of the freezer and not worry about making things all week.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would not imagine stir fry would freeze well. But you could repackage chopped and frozen veggies into dinner size bags to pull out. Time saved cleaning and chopping. A little tofu, and even less rice and you have a great meal.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Soups. I make lentil soup, sweet potato and black bean soup, and chili. They all freeze well. I also mix up some tuna, and have that over spinach for the week, or cook some chicken breast to throw on salad. I also make hummus for the week to eat with carrots.
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh and as far as my favorite recipe I freeze: Taco Meat!!

But I make mimne a little different from the packet, so here it is:

2# ground beef + 2 seasoning packets -- Cook according to packets.

Once the water is nearly cooked out, I add (mix thoroughly too):
    16oz can refried beans
    4oz diced green chiles
    chunky salsa to taste

I hate the texture of refried beans, but acknowledge their health benifits; I notice my hunger is satisfied more quickly, and I have no desire to over eat when I make them this way. Plus, it tastes yummier, and freezes amazingly (use freezer bags).
  • vixkeri
    vixkeri Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you for all the tips!! @Delta, that cookbook sounds right up my alley. I'm with you on the re fried beans, I can't stand them unless i try and max their texture.

But again, thank you everyone for the tips!! It will help me immensely for my cook day on Saturday, lol.
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    If you can prep every couple of days not just once a week (so you can just refridgerate not freeze) I would definatly recommend Chicken & Quinoa stirfrys for lunches. I used to just make it for dinner 1 night but make enough for lunches for the next 2 or 3 days. Its delicious and filling. This was definatly a winner for me!
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Oh and as far as my favorite recipe I freeze: Taco Meat!!

But I make mimne a little different from the packet, so here it is:

2# ground beef + 2 seasoning packets -- Cook according to packets.

Once the water is nearly cooked out, I add (mix thoroughly too):
    16oz can refried beans
    4oz diced green chiles
    chunky salsa to taste

I hate the texture of refried beans, but acknowledge their health benifits; I notice my hunger is satisfied more quickly, and I have no desire to over eat when I make them this way. Plus, it tastes yummier, and freezes amazingly (use freezer bags).

That sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try this!
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you can prep every couple of days not just once a week (so you can just refridgerate not freeze) I would definatly recommend Chicken & Quinoa stirfrys for lunches. I used to just make it for dinner 1 night but make enough for lunches for the next 2 or 3 days. Its delicious and filling. This was definatly a winner for me!

I have recently discovered quinoa and love it, but I have a really hard time finding it in the grocery store. The only kinds I can find are the pre-packaged, flavored kinds (i.e. garden vegetable, garlic, etc.) but would love to find some plain quinoa so I can use it for a variety of recipes. Any suggestions where I might find some?
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought some in bulk at Earth Fare. Well, it was in the bulk bins, but I bought a tiny amount because I've never had it before. I still haven't mustered up the motivation to make it because I'm afraid I won't like it...lol

Point is, is there somewhere similar to Earth Fare where you live?
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Check out this website: http://onceamonthmom.com/

They have menu plans for the following:

Babies/Toddlers
    Whole Foods (No, not the grocery store, but clean/unprocessed)
    Gluten/Dairy Free
    Vegetarian
    Diet
    Traditional

It's so easy to use! The site gives you a grocery list, printable recipe list, instructions and labels.

Honestly life has never been so simipler! Really take the time to go through it. I have a feeling you would love it, and it just can't get much easier than this!