Am I supossed to eat back my Exercise calories?

Options
Hi Guys,

I'm a little confused about wether or not I should be eating back my exerciose calories? I Exercise quite alot and its not unusual for me to burn 1000 or more calories in a session. I'm on a 1200 calorie eating plan. I've heard alot of talk about going into starvation mode but surely thats only if you dont eat to begin with? I eat really nutritious healthy foods & never go under 1200 cals. I feel like if i eat back my exercise calories why bother doing it in the first place? so what i really need to know is am i starving myself by not eating these cals back even tho it feels like i'm putting plenty of food in my body?

Replies

• LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    yes, if you set it up to loose 1-2 pounds or what ever you are trying to accomplish you need to eat back most if not all of you exercise calories. it is already built into your plan to do what you want and you need to give your body the nourishment it needs. i usually try to get within 10% of my exercise calories, since i do not have a HRM mine isn't exact. as long as you are eating healthy and staying close to your net calorie goal you will be good.
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    yes, if you set it up to loose 1-2 pounds or what ever you are trying to accomplish you need to eat back most if not all of you exercise calories. it is already built into your plan to do what you want and you need to give your body the nourishment it needs. i usually try to get within 10% of my exercise calories, since i do not have a HRM mine isn't exact. as long as you are eating healthy and staying close to your net calorie goal you will be good.

Cool thanks for the info. It just feels funny to be able to eat 2000 + calories and call it a diet lol
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    i know, that's the only reason i do most of my workouts... i really only like basketball, and today i found out i like spinning, but i do it because I like to eat :)
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    i know, that's the only reason i do most of my workouts... i really only like basketball, and today i found out i like spinning, but i do it because I like to eat :)

OMG spinning is brutal lol! Its so funny cuz when i'm feeling fit i absolutley love it and feel so motivated and challenged not to let that 45mins of pain beat me yet when i've been out of the game for a while & am feeling pudgy i just couldnt think of any worse torture! I once had this amazing Personal trainer who i used to do boxing workouts with which gave me that same "no way is this going to beat me" feeling. I'm so looking forward to getting back into those things. I'm actually really excited about eating more too! yay! lol
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Yes you are supposed to. Especially if you are eating 1200...
    If you burn 1000 in a session thats only 200 for your body to live off for the day.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I need clarity,

I am supposed to get 1900 Cal's
    I ate like 1800
    Burned 500
    So my body took in 1300

Am I supposed to eat back my calories (500) or will I lose more weight/ is it okay if I don't?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm not really an expert but I am guessing you eat them back. It will make your metabolism kick in,
  • BecCutting
    Options
    It's kinda confusing isn't it... It seems rather pointless to do the exercise if you are meant to eat it right back
  • BAtobe
    BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
    Options
  • haled321
    haled321 Posts: 1
    Options
    Exercise is never pointless and just think of all the great (healthy) things you can eat. Or treat yourself to a glass of wine or some chocolate. I have been working out straight 3-4 x's a week for over a year now and have actually gained weight but my pants feel the same. Guess what I gained muscle and for every pound of muscle you you gain you burn an extra 50 calories a day!! Not to mention all the other benefits of exercise.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It's kinda confusing isn't it... It seems rather pointless to do the exercise if you are meant to eat it right back

If you just want to lose weight...it does seem kind of pointless. If you enjoy eating a lot, and still be able to lose weight while toning your body, then exercise/lifting is the way to go. Plenty of people have lost weight and do great with just limiting their calories. I love to eat though, so I feel better knowing I can eat some pizza and still be in the clear from a calorie perspective if I exercise pretty hard that day.
  • BecCutting
    Options
    Exercise is never pointless and just think of all the great (healthy) things you can eat. Or treat yourself to a glass of wine or some chocolate. I have been working out straight 3-4 x's a week for over a year now and have actually gained weight but my pants feel the same. Guess what I gained muscle and for every pound of muscle you you gain you burn an extra 50 calories a day!! Not to mention all the other benefits of exercise.
    Yeah I know exercise isn't pointless, it is just hard to grasp the concept of eating back the exercise cals... I understand it but at the same time I still have the preprogramed way of thinking, that will take time to reprogram.

And
    If you just want to lose weight...it does seem kind of pointless. If you enjoy eating a lot, and still be able to lose weight while toning your body, then exercise/lifting is the way to go. Plenty of people have lost weight and do great with just limiting their calories. I love to eat though, so I feel better knowing I can eat some pizza and still be in the clear from a calorie perspective if I exercise pretty hard that day.

Hmmmm I like your way of thinking... that is definitely a way to reprogram my thought patterns. Exercise = Allowed Pizza nom nom nom lol
  • workingitout2012
    Options

Hmmmm I like your way of thinking... that is definitely a way to reprogram my thought patterns. Exercise = Allowed Pizza nom nom nom lol
    [/quote]

Mmm pizza!! Thanks guys for all the great advice, it actually makes heaps of sense to me now, eat more to rev up my metabolism but exercise so my cals are in check. It's funny how confusing it can all get. So basically what I've taken from this is that i can actually eat more than I've ever thought I could and still lose weight. I'm gonna try breaking my meals up into smaller mini meals so i develop a red hot metabolism!
  • workingitout2012
    Options

Thank you!! So, so helpful!!
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    Great post!