Looking for a supportive community. Come say hi :)

Options
NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
Hello, my name is Liz, but you can call me "Short Stuff" if you so desire. I'm 22 years old, 4'11" (hence the "Short Stuff" nickname) and weigh about 115 pounds.

I've been on and off some sort of diet for the past couple years, but its only in the past year that I've made serious commitments. In the past four months I've lost about 10 lbs (I used to be 125 lbs for a long time).

The main reason I joined was because I want a supportive community. At the beginning of my weight loss journey, my main goal was to be as healthy as I could be, and that went well for awhile. I was very active, gaining muscle, and feeling very good about myself.

At this point, however, I feel like I'm losing my purpose. I'm more concerned with staying well under my calorie goal (I usually eat about 900 calories per day), and I meticulously log everything I eat. I can't eat anything without thinking about the calories it contains, and I become frustrated when I'm out with friends and they eat everything they want, and still look skinny. I am always thinking "Its so unfair that they can eat whatever they want and still look good, while I have to watch everything i eat lest i blow up like a balloon" Its come to the point where I sacrifice exercise because I'm too tired from not eating enough. Food has become something for me to control, and I would feel lost without my food journal

I've taken enough psych courses to realize that I might be headed for an eating disorder. I know I am not in a healthy mindset, and I need to change that. I'm not exactly miserable, but I know this is not the right way to live. I know the way that I'm treating my body is the exact opposite of healthy, and I need to make positive steps before I really do my body harm.

I know I have the tools and the knowledge; my mom works at weigh watchers, and from an early age she taught me about healthy eating. I know what needs to be done, I just have to let go of my need for absolute control.

I think what's missing at this point is the support. I want people I can talk to, people who are in the same boat as I am. I don't really have any other friends that are struggling with weight, so having this community to turn to is a wonderful safety net, a place I can turn to for advice, consolation, and yes, the occasional stern talking to when I neglect my health.

So, this post was a bit headier and not quite as light hearted as I intended it to be. Sorry about that. I promise I'm a friendly person, and funny as well (if you have an odd sense of humor, that is). So please, send me a message or friend request, or whatever it is you do on this site. I'm a newbie on here and still haven't figured out how everything works exactly.

-Liz (aka Short Stuff)

Replies

• rwong53
    rwong53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can add me! Let's support each other!
  • KMGP
    KMGP Posts: 6
    Options
    Add me if you l, I need more support on here for sure!!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi! You've come to a great place for support!
    Feel free to add me!
  • ronkelley2
    ronkelley2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    hi!! please tell your not trying to do 900 cal. per day. may i say look to the food tracker for a good cal. #. glad tobe your friend
  • Gumbie7
    Gumbie7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Add me I could always use more support. Also I totally agree that it's hard to see people around you that can do as they please to their bodies and stay so lean, but hey!! That's what we are here for now:)
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I remember being in a similar situation at 22. You know you have to eat more calories. Balance it out by working out more and staying active. Otherwise you'll destroy your metabolism and end up gaining it all back and lots more.

It's a lifetime commitment you have to make to your health and your body. There are not shortcuts. Your friends can eat more because they're taller or because they work out or have faster metabolisms or a million different reasons. I know how you feel (at five feet flat). It just means you have to work that much harder.

Guess what, all those friends who are so thin right now, they won't have such an easy time in 5+ years. If you stick to your lifestyle and work out regularly and eat healthy, you'll be the skinny one by far in a few years.
  • almavee
    almavee Posts: 2
    Options
    aww i know exactly what you are going through!! im going through the same.
  • jmuny
    jmuny Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm def towards the same boat as you ADD ME!! ;)