Vegetables YUCK!

Options
I'm a really picky eater, and I happen to hate vegetables the most! I know that I need them to stay healthy? Anyone know a alternative?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I was raised on total CRAP. For me it was taking a month long hiatus from crap ( a low crap diet). While doing that I tried a lot of new things. Vegetables NOT the way mom made them. Vegetables in fun ways....
    Now? (as in the last 12 years) I crave them. But you need to invest in learning to like them and finding ways you do.
  • JoannaLouden
    JoannaLouden Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do you like dips? Maybe you could get veggies in the form of a dip---like hummus or baba ganouj.

You can mash up chickpeas and then add mayo/relish/etc and eat it like tuna salad, it tastes VERY similar.

Steamed broccoli with a bit of cheese sauce?

Baked sweet potato? Those are good! I add butter and cinnamon and brown sugar to mine.

Veggie Chips?? That wouldn't be ideal but better than regular chips. I have not had kale chips, I have had carrot/sweet potato chips. They weren't bad.

Vegetable soup? Then you get the veggies but kind of hidden in the soup.
  • SabrinaEricks
    SabrinaEricks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks for the Help Young mama haha but I hate all of that stuff. I'm VERY VERY picky. Ive tried most of that stuff and it was too hard not to gag, and almost throw up. Haha I dont know whats wrong with me.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Dude...ARTICHOKES!!! They are the "meat" of the veggie family!
    Slap on some mayo and you're good to go!!! :wink:

I also love edamame (soy beans) with garlic salt.

Raw sugar snap peas are a great snack too (and I f*cken HATE peas...so, if I can enjoy them, I'm sure you will too!)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yes my chum. The alternative is to eat processed salt laden, sugar laden, fat laden food and destroy your health while getting beefy. I too hate them with a passion! But, gotta eat 'em! I just try to eat the ones I hate the least and sometimes disguise them while adding them into my fruit smoothies.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    eat ALL the vegetables and find out which ones you like...or can tolerate...and eat them anyway
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would say don't eat anything you don't like.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Just have to find the ones you like, and cook them in your meals :]
  • Rachiewoowoo
    Options
    I don't think you're giving us much to work with here...
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I am coming around. I had a hard time at first getting my veggies, and now I scold myself for missing out on brussel sprouts and cabbage (among other things, but those have become faves) for all those years....

That being said... if you smoothies, you can add spinach, avocado, and baby carrots to the blender. Can't taste them, and it adds a lot!! I also have this stuff called Macrolife Naturals Macrogreens. It's made out of veggies, so the vitamins are in it. When I'm out of my spinach, I use that instead. :)
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Slather them in melted Velveeta! :love:
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time to like them. You might not magically like them the first time you give it a go, but if you come back to it a few more times, you might develop a taste for it. I used to be super picky myself. It takes some time and patience, but your tastes can change if you just give them the opportunity. The most important thing is not to let yourself believe you'll never like them — that'll sabotage you from the start. Start fresh. Try something new. Prepare something in an interesting way. Explore you favorite country's side dishes. Make it a journey. With time, you'll look back and see how far you've come and be proud you invested yourself in the change.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I think you just need to suck it uo and get used to them. My brother is 32 and is pickier than my 6 year old-way pickier. He doesn't eat fruits or vegetables, and eats a ton of sugar. I honestly wonder how he even has bowel movements. Anyway, most vegetables are an acquired taste, so you just need to give it time. I buy frozen veggies(except broccoli), and after they are cooked, I add some yogurt butter to them and they taste pretty good. I have no problem getting my 6 and 2 year olds to eat them. Just be a grown up, and do what's best for your body. Carrots, peas, broccoli, green beans, and mixed veggies and all very tolerable. I would not touch brussels sprouts with a ten foot pole, so you just need to find ones that taste the best. Also, try salads with a little light ranch dressing. While the dressing does add calories, at least you'll be able to get in a lot of fresh veggies. It's not always about what you aren't eating, but rather what you are.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I am thankful all the time that my dad always made us eat veggies with every meal! My husband hates veggies, but he said my mashed cauliflower wasn't too awful. He might even eat it when he goes on a "diet" I just boiled a bag of the frozen cauliflower and drained it when it was nice and tender. The recipes I looked at used food processors but I hate washing that so I used my potato masher to make it almost look like mashed potatoes.. I just added som garlic salt and it was really good...! Also, try v8! I love that stuff! I buy the low sodium variety because I might have a salt addiction I'm trying to break. Best wishes!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    A favorite of mine is squash. I love acorn, butternut, and spaghetti squash. Have you tried these? :]

Also you can bake kale or mushrooms and get crispy chips :D
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm actually the opposite... I always really liked veggies, but I disliked a lot of fruits. I've been slowly introducing new foods into my diet. So far I've gotten in tomatoes, avocado, blueberries, and I'm currently working on strawberries. Basically I just try slipping them into my diet in subtle ways, until I can adjust to them. It was just about getting used to the taste and texture. Now I eat blueberries and avocados like a crazy person, and I'm really warming up to strawberries. Tomatoes I still have some texture issues with, but overall I quite like them. But by slowly adding them in with other foods, it really allowed me to associate those foods with things I like.

Also, if you want to be sneaky, you can always grate a zucchini and mix it in with ground beef in burgers.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Raw veggie suck. If you're eating them raw then of course you'll hate them. My dinner tonight was (among other things) roasted sweet potato "fries", roasted squash and zucchini, and homemade veggie spring rolls. Veggie plate! And it was so yummy.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    A favorite of mine is squash. I love acorn, butternut, and spaghetti squash. Have you tried these? :]

Also you can bake kale or mushrooms and get crispy chips :D

A friend of mine is gluten intolerant and she uses spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti pasta! I had it at her house once and it was quite good!
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    Stir fry! With brown rice or noodles and teriyaki or thai sauce... so yum!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    omg u must just be cooking them wrong!! veggies are the ****ttttt! baby carrots with humus? sautéed swiss chard with mushrooms?? green beens and peas? yummy ahahah try putting garlic or cumin or other spices to add flavor! also baby spinach is delicious and very mild flavored so if you put some salad dressing you can't even taste it :)