Vegetables YUCK!

Options
2»

Replies

• brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am also a veggie hater. Even covered in yummy cheese or hidden in things I can taste them. Of course, with me it's also a texture issue. I can tell you that after repeated exposure, I have grown to tolerate some things I would never eat. I still don't eat many raw veggies. You won't catch me eating baby carrots or cauliflower or biting into a tomato. I have found that I can tolerate peppers and onions if I saute them until they're mushy. Also, Veg-All (while high in sodium) is pretty good cooked for a long time with enough spices and butter. Beans. I actually like a lot of different kinds of beans. Green beans, pinto beans and black beans. I season them to death and enjoy them. Basically, eat the ones you like and add a new one in every now and then. You might find some more you like! The sugary junk tastes so much better at first, but once you start cutting most of it out, you will start to crave more healthy things. Take small steps, it won't happen all at once.:smile:
  • kooldill
    kooldill Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    im in the same boat just remember take your vitamins and u should be just fine?
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge vegetable fan either. I have learned to like(tolerate) several, but I will never be a big fan...you just have to suck it up and eat them at least a few times a week. What about salads???? I adore fruit and love it all, wish I could get away with eating just that instead of veggies. LOL
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said you have to try and find some that you like. They are really valuable in your diet.
  • hdrider8968
    Options
    Try juicing them.
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetable lover so this is hard for me to comprehend but try your best to like them, maybe using cooking spray and some spices in a pan to flavor them up a bit? Or is it the texture?
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    Try sweet potato fries! I just cut up a sweet potato in fry sized strips (with skin), drizzled olive oil on them, added some salt and plopped them in the oven for about 30 mins. Perfect to make you feel like your eating junk food, but you're really being healthy. Ok, ok so maybe the dollop of sour cream I dipped them in wasn't "healthy." :)

Plantains are delicious too. If I can ever find them again, I swear I'll buy 100.

As for green leafy vegetables, I know some people make chips out of kale greens. I tried it, and it wasn't my thing. But hey, it may work for you!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks for the Help Young mama haha but I hate all of that stuff. I'm VERY VERY picky. Ive tried most of that stuff and it was too hard not to gag, and almost throw up. Haha I dont know whats wrong with me.

nothing's wrong with you. I'm the same way. I will eat most all fruits, but veggies? the list is short. eat what you like. experiment and try to find new things you haven't tried before. I always assumed I wouldn't like cauliflower, since I loathe broccoli. even the smell makes me gag. but raw cauliflower is pretty solid. so give things a shot. but don't stress. and don't force yourself to eat something you don't like.
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    I would say start with a vegetable that you think you might be able to tolerate - for example, broccoli - and look up recipes that include it. Most importantly, look up different ways to cook it. I HATE raw broccoli - I want to gag when I eat it - but I love steamed broccoli so, so much.

I'd see if that helps at all. There are many different ways to cook/prepare things; you don't have to just grab some vegetables and chow down. Just experiment, see if you can find something you can tolerate, and keep trying different vegetables in the same way.
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind things like tomato sauce, you can blend veggies into that so you don't see them and eat it over pasta, or maybe veggies cut up small with a nice spicy curry sauce? Or try blending veggies into a smoothie with a powerful fruit flavour, i.e.) berries + a bit of frozen spinach + juice.

Another alternative would be the concentrated greens powder you can get at health food stores... you could mix it up with a bit of water and just drink it quickly to "get it over with" so to speak.

Or the v8 fruit + veggie juice? I cut it with water and it's actually really refreshing!

Good luck! :)
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The Bird's Eye or Green Giant steamers that are lightly sauced are good. You can also try V-8 Fusion juice, it tastes just like fruit juice but has veggies in it. I personally like the sparkling and tea kinds.
  • amandajanegordon
    Options
    I don't mind veggies but my husband isn't really a fan, I find the best way is to hide them in the meal when possible - for example one of his favourites in chilli con carne with baked rice - what I do is grate a whole carrot and a zucchini and add it to the carne when I'm cooking it along with a can of kidney beans. I also make the rice with brown rice - the spices and tomato sauce in the rice hides the fact that its brown rice. It wasn't until I told him how healthy the meal was that he knew anything at all!

My favourite salad is really yummy too, even non veggie eaters love it. Finely dice raw veggies, include almost anything: carrots, snow peas, zucchini, cabbage, celery, sprouts, spanish onion, spring onion, capsicum - whatever I have in the fridge at the time. Add finely diced apple so the mix is about 1/4 apple. Then top with a squeeze of lemon juice. It doesn't sound that great but the flavour of the apple really hides the veg and it's so bright and colourful!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I thought I wasn't eating enough vegetables, and there are plenty of other things I like better and plenty of vegetables I won't eat, including some that make me physically ill (undiagnosed allergy?). But when I started recording vegetable servings on the USDA site (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ Super Tracker, which isn't as easy or friendly to use as MFP, but good in other ways) and SURPRISE, I discovered that most days I was actually getting my vegetable servings in some other ways. Try some of the following and the other suggestions that have been made. Research shows that few people (adults or children) like new food the first time they try it. I forget how many times it usually takes...

Some ideas:
    * vegetable lasagna (or regular lasagna with some spinach or zucchini added, you're also getting the tomato sauce)
    * salad with lots of stuff besides lettuce (lettuce is boring!) This one may not work for you at first
    * artichoke hearts
    * scrambled eggs or omelets with some of mushrooms, diced and sauteed onions, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, spinach, olives (start with just a little bit and add more veggies as you get used to them)
    * pickles
    * asparagus with a mustard sauce or mango salsa
    * roasted tomatoes with garlic in olive oil
    * very fresh corn on the cob - steamed
    * Chinese pea pods - steamed, boiled or raw
    * bean and rice burrito with spicy vegetable salsa and avocado
    * carrots baked with honey
    * vegetable dumplings
    * lettuce wrapped around barbeque'd sliced beef, rice and other spicy vegetables (Korean dish)
    * kim chee (comes in a variety of spice levels, pick one depending on how hot/spicy you like things)
    * mashed potatoes
    * beets - sweet
    * mashed peas and mint dip (with crackers or carrot sticks)
    * baba ganoush
    * eggplant lasagna

There are entire cookbooks based on putting vegetables into foods in ways you don't taste them. Chick peas instead of flour to make cookies, etc.

And while you may not like one part of a vegetable or eating it prepared in one way, you may like it another. Some people like the "flower" part of broccoli; others prefer the stems. Some people like cooked carrots; other people only like them raw. And there are many ways to sneak small amounts into other things you eat... carrot cake, zucchini bread, onions in sauces and soups.
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    try seasoning..(mrs.Dash) and put olive oil over red onions and green peppers and red potatoes in the oven. so good.

Or sweet potatoe w/ cinnamon - wrap it up in foil spray some fat free butter and sprinkle cinammon on top and put in oven till tender. very good
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great suggestions here already...I would definitely start off with sweeter veggies, like carrots and sugar snap peas. Steam them lightly and add a tiny bit of butter. Steaming them brings out the sweetness, and butter...well, self-explanatory. :)

Also, baby greens (lettuce mix) are sweeter than other leaves. If you're willing to try a salad, that might be something you can tolerate. I used to only tolerate veggies, but now I like them. Like, not love, mind you. I mix them into my food rather than eating them raw...raw veggies are hard for many people to eat, so you're not alone there! Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

P.S. Steamed edamame with garlic salt is AMAZING!!
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    Stir fry! With brown rice or noodles and teriyaki or thai sauce... so yum!

THIS.
  • jenqoe
    jenqoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vegetable soup is good. I hate eating veggies in actual vegetable shape, but if you pick the veg you hate the least and make them up into a pot of spicy soup then blend until smooth you get to eat multiple veggies without any of the pain. And you can add pasta to the soup afterwards for a bit of extra yum.
  • notaperfect10
    notaperfect10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You've got some fantastic ideas on here of things to eat, so I don't think I can add to them.
    I have a veggie phobic daughter, but I've noticed as she's getting older she's getting much better.
    Our tastes do change. For one our taste buds get less acute as we get older, so tastes you were revolted by as a child will taste less so as an adult....and as Robin_Bin said above, it takes repeated tries for our taste buds to get used to something different.
    A friend once told me that you have to try a food some where between 50 and 100 times before you get used to it!! They may have beeen winding me up a little!! But the idea is right.
    So all I can say is , Keep Trying
    .......and Good Luck!
  • JoannaLouden
    JoannaLouden Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    oh! now i have no idea the calorie count or whatever but how bout V8 juice? The kind that tastes like fruit but also has carrots hidden in it and stuff?

I have heard of using black beans in brownies (you grind up the beans first)...google that and give it a try!