What is your HR when running?

Options
Compared to the few friends I have that own a HRM and run, it seems like my HR is much higher than theirs. I am 45 and the half marathon I ran in Dec, I avg 176 BPM. With a max around 182. I am worried that this is too high to maintain and I should be limiting my HR to a lower level. What are your avg HRs when running (or doing other forms of exercise)?

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Depends on my pace, elevation, etc. I generally run around 135-140 for easy pace runs.... in the 150s for a fast pace or lots of hills.
  • msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    I got a little concerned myself when I started using my HRM. I usually average around 183 and towards the end of my run I get around 193. I've seen it get to 200 when I do sprints. I was worried but I have no symptoms with my heart.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    I have asked this from a Doctor and they said if you can carry on a conversation, albeight a little difficult, you are probably ok
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 162 when I am running at a 9:30 pace.
  • delipidation
    delipidation Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Everybody's heart is different. I'm a cyclist rather than a runner, these days, but the same principles apply. I try to take a "calibration ride" once a year, after I get enough miles under me that my heart rate stabilizes a bit (early in the season it bounces all over the place with next to no exertion). What I'm after, on that long haul up the steepest hill around, is the highest number I see on the heart rate meter. For years now, that number has been about 185. I then measure my resting pulse (truly resting, as in when I wake up in the morning). That's usually in the low 50s.

That gives me the range that I have to work with: no matter how much I relax I'm not going to get below the resting pulse, and no matter how hard I work I'm not going to get above the maximum rate. The difference between the two numbers is what the Karvonen folks refer to as the heart rate reserve, and it's how I structure a workout ride: exertion = (heart rate reserve * X) + resting, where X is the percentage of effort. Moderate effort is around 50% to 60% exertion, weight management is around 60% to 70%, aerobic is around 70% to 80%, anaerobic is around 80% to 90%, and redline is anything over 90%. A strenuous ride will generally get me up into the anaerobic range for a bit, and pushing that line a bit isn't a bad thing, but I prefer to focus on the aerobic range where I can clear the lactic acid more efficiently. Redline isn't forbidden, but I don't ever want to be there for more than a minute or two.

You believe that your max is 182, but you sustained 176 for 13 miles. I'm guessing that your max is actually a bit higher than you think it is, and that you can recalculate your effort levels more effectively once you know it. Try running at a near-sprint up a hill for a few hundred yards and see what the HRM has to say.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, my heart rate would stick around 160-165 at my normal pace get up to around 170-175 when I was really pushing.

Now I'm usually somewhere around 155 when I'm at my normal pace for long distances and then goes up to 160-165 when I push myself to go faster.
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around 155, with the highest being 160-165.
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Everybody's heart is different. I'm a cyclist rather than a runner, these days, but the same principles apply. I try to take a "calibration ride" once a year, after I get enough miles under me that my heart rate stabilizes a bit (early in the season it bounces all over the place with next to no exertion). What I'm after, on that long haul up the steepest hill around, is the highest number I see on the heart rate meter. For years now, that number has been about 185. I then measure my resting pulse (truly resting, as in when I wake up in the morning). That's usually in the low 50s.

That gives me the range that I have to work with: no matter how much I relax I'm not going to get below the resting pulse, and no matter how hard I work I'm not going to get above the maximum rate. The difference between the two numbers is what the Karvonen folks refer to as the heart rate reserve, and it's how I structure a workout ride: exertion = (heart rate reserve * X) + resting, where X is the percentage of effort. Moderate effort is around 50% to 60% exertion, weight management is around 60% to 70%, aerobic is around 70% to 80%, anaerobic is around 80% to 90%, and redline is anything over 90%. A strenuous ride will generally get me up into the anaerobic range for a bit, and pushing that line a bit isn't a bad thing, but I prefer to focus on the aerobic range where I can clear the lactic acid more efficiently. Redline isn't forbidden, but I don't ever want to be there for more than a minute or two.

You believe that your max is 182, but you sustained 176 for 13 miles. I'm guessing that your max is actually a bit higher than you think it is, and that you can recalculate your effort levels more effectively once you know it. Try running at a near-sprint up a hill for a few hundred yards and see what the HRM has to say.

Thanks that is the best answer I have received regarding HR zones. I feel a bit better now that I know I am not totally off the charts for my running HR. :) It is difficult for me to stay within HR zones. I have always had the mentality to go as hard as I can. (I noticed this is not a good strategy for long distance running). For the short stuff, 5k and 10ks it doesnt really matter. In some cases trying to stay in the 60% range means I cannot even run the whole time. I would need to run/walk to achieve that goal. So for my numbers (assuming 185 is my max) for aerobic would be 70%*(185-46)+46= 143 for the low end? and 80%*(185-46)+46= 157?
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Compared to the few friends I have that own a HRM and run, it seems like my HR is much higher than theirs. I am 45 and the half marathon I ran in Dec, I avg 176 BPM. With a max around 182. I am worried that this is too high to maintain and I should be limiting my HR to a lower level. What are your avg HRs when running (or doing other forms of exercise)?

I am a runner and I am 42. Typically I average 155 for shorter training runs (4 miles or less) and 165+ plus for longer runs (5+ miles). Generally my last 2 miles are at 172 or so. My max when I am doing intervals is mid-180s, but this is probably not my true max.

HR is an individual thing, ranges are for guidance. I agree with delipidation's post that if you are running a HM and hitting 176, your max is probably a little higher. Granted, we tend to exert more energy and run harder during races. My typical racing HR is an average of 175 or more as well.

Greg
  • delipidation
    delipidation Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It is difficult for me to stay within HR zones. I have always had the mentality to go as hard as I can. (I noticed this is not a good strategy for long distance running). For the short stuff, 5k and 10ks it doesnt really matter. In some cases trying to stay in the 60% range means I cannot even run the whole time. I would need to run/walk to achieve that goal. So for my numbers (assuming 185 is my max) for aerobic would be 70%*(185-46)+46= 143 for the low end? and 80%*(185-46)+46= 157?
    The calculations are correct for the Karvonen approach. As others have noted, over time your heart rate will tend to fluctuate less as the heart muscle strengthens, so you might want to recalibrate the maximum and minimum numbers from time to time.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same age as the OP and my HR is around the same, too. I've been running now for about a year and my average HR has stayed in the mid-170s while I'm running but my speed has increased over that time. I've seen HRs in the mid-180s during a half marathon by the 12th and 13th miles but I'm not falling over dead and can even carry on a bit of a conversation during it, so my max has got to be a bit more than that. I worried about it for awhile but given that I feel fine, my HR recovers quickly and I don't seem to be suffering, I'm not really worrying about it any longer.
  • michalebsdad
    Options
    When calculating your resting heart rate, take it the first thing in the morning as soon as you wake up BEFORE even setting your feet on the ground. Do this for Three days in a row and you should get a clear idea as what your resting heart rate is. Once you have your resting heart rate, then you can use the below information to calculate your target range!

It has long been accepted as an approximation, that your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) starts out at 220 beats per minute and falls by one beat each year. Therefore, you can calculate your Maximum Heart Rate by deducting your age from 220. So a good estimate of Maximum Heart Rate for a 40 year old is 180 (220-40 (age)) and for a 20 year old is 200 (200-20).

However, the relationship is not perfectly linear and as we age, especially if we maintain a high level of fitness, our Maximum Heart Rate falls by less than one beat each year. A closer approximation is to accept the one year one beat rule until you reach 30. After 30 it is only .5 a beat per year. This may be summarized by the following formula:

Maximum Heart Rate equals:
    (Age 30 or below)

220 - age

(Age above 30)

190 - (age-30)/2

For example, at age 50 the Maximum Heart Rate equals: 190-(50-30)/2=180 bpm

Now, you can find your heart rate reserve (if you will). This range is from your RHR all the way to your MHR. Now you can determine what zone you want to train in depending on your focus. Below is the calculations for finding your ranges:

What is your Resting Heart Rate (RHR)

What is your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR)

Heart Rate Reserve (HRR) equals MHR-RHR

Fat Burning Range(bottom)=RHR+hrr*.5

Example

RHR 60
    MHR 180
    HRR=180-60=120
    Fat Burning Range(bottom)=60+(120*50%)=120 bps

Another example:

Resting Heart Rate(RHR): 60
    Maximum Heart Rate(MHR): 180
    Heart Rate Reserve(HRR): 120

Fat Burning: From 120 to 132 beats per minute
    Aerobic: From 132 to 144 beats per minute
    Steady State: From 144 to 156 beats per minute
    Anaerobic: From 156 to 168 beats per minute
    Maximal: From 168 to 180 beats per minute

Sorry this was so long, I hope it helps you!

Regards,
    Jay
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When calculating your resting heart rate, take it the first thing in the morning as soon as you wake up BEFORE even setting your feet on the ground. Do this for Three days in a row and you should get a clear idea as what your resting heart rate is. Once you have your resting heart rate, then you can use the below information to calculate your target range!

It has long been accepted as an approximation, that your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) starts out at 220 beats per minute and falls by one beat each year. Therefore, you can calculate your Maximum Heart Rate by deducting your age from 220. So a good estimate of Maximum Heart Rate for a 40 year old is 180 (220-40 (age)) and for a 20 year old is 200 (200-20).

However, the relationship is not perfectly linear and as we age, especially if we maintain a high level of fitness, our Maximum Heart Rate falls by less than one beat each year. A closer approximation is to accept the one year one beat rule until you reach 30. After 30 it is only .5 a beat per year. This may be summarized by the following formula:

Maximum Heart Rate equals:
    (Age 30 or below)

220 - age

(Age above 30)

190 - (age-30)/2

For example, at age 50 the Maximum Heart Rate equals: 190-(50-30)/2=180 bpm

Now, you can find your heart rate reserve (if you will). This range is from your RHR all the way to your MHR. Now you can determine what zone you want to train in depending on your focus. Below is the calculations for finding your ranges:

What is your Resting Heart Rate (RHR)

What is your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR)

Heart Rate Reserve (HRR) equals MHR-RHR

Fat Burning Range(bottom)=RHR+hrr*.5

Example

RHR 60
    MHR 180
    HRR=180-60=120
    Fat Burning Range(bottom)=60+(120*50%)=120 bps

Another example:

Resting Heart Rate(RHR): 60
    Maximum Heart Rate(MHR): 180
    Heart Rate Reserve(HRR): 120

Fat Burning: From 120 to 132 beats per minute
    Aerobic: From 132 to 144 beats per minute
    Steady State: From 144 to 156 beats per minute
    Anaerobic: From 156 to 168 beats per minute
    Maximal: From 168 to 180 beats per minute

Sorry this was so long, I hope it helps you!

Regards,
    Jay

thanks! it does!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm younger than the OP (I'm 36). When I do a 2 min run, 2 min walk - my heart rate averages around 155. If I run for a longer amount of time - it usually averages around 167.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Depends on my pace, elevation, etc. I generally run around 135-140 for easy pace runs.... in the 150s for a fast pace or lots of hills.
    Same here.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That is very high. A friend of mine averages high (in the 150s for easy runs, upward of 175-180 for intervals, etc.) and his doctor worries.

My runs are usually in the 135-140 range for an easy run. My intervals this morning I averaged 151 (peak was around 190, but that was the very start of the first interval).

If you start feeling faint or fluttery (for lack of a better word) go see your doctor. Seriously. Don't **** around with potential heart problems.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I can't run very long, or very well, and mine goest to 175 very fast, and if I jog more then a mile even up to 190.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I set my HRM to the %, not the number. So most of the time it's between 80-93% of my HR max.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Mine averages 155-160 when I'm running a 9:30 pace