anyone have any advice?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I'm Sandy, I have a really hard time of reaching my goal of 425 calories a day! I do 60 minutes of cardio a day, 6 days a week. (granted i just started the 60 min today) when i leave the gym i look like a drowned rat, so i'm working really hard but can't seem to reach the goal. Do any of you have any suggestions that might help? I havn't done weights yet either, someone told me i should wait at least 5 weeks before doing them. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks

Replies

• arlareed
    arlareed Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My first question is the following - is that a misprint that you are trying to reach a goal of 425 calories a day? Do you mean 1425?
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think she might mean burning 425 a day.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    what kind of cardio are you doing? are you using a HRM? That seems strange for a 60 min workout to not burn at least ALMOST 425 cals.....
  • jaybroave
    jaybroave Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    According to this site and another Tae Bo burns mega calories...you might want to try that. It says for 35 minutes you burn 722 calories :) which is what I do every morning...and I'm noticing a big difference in the way my clothes fit and my muscle tone.
  • sakksledge
    sakksledge Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to burn 425 calories, have you done any classes? I did kickboxing for the first time yesterday and burned almost 700 calories. Do you have a claorie counter that you wear while working out?
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a good heart rate monitor, I am almost 100% positive with an hour of cardio, you are very close to 425, if not a little bit over.
  • mebj
    mebj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a heart rate monitor. Does it give you a better idea about how many calories you're burning?
  • Jrsturm777
    Options
    Not sure how long you've been working at getting up to the 425 burn rate, but if it hasn't been long then...my first piece of advice is to set a series of smaller increasing goals that work up to the 425.. and secondly I'd suggest you experiement with different types of cardio workouts.. they all burn at different rates. You need to find what works best for you.

When I started working out I could barely do 5m on the treadmill running.. so I did alot of walking --obviously burning less than if I could've kept a running pace. Gradually each day I would find that I could increase speed or incline a little further a little longer.. eventually (after about 3mo) I went from burning like 100cal in 30m to burning 420cal in 30m if I went all out.

Good luck.. keep at it. It will come.
    JR
  • mebj
    mebj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an excellent choice. It burns a lot of calories and is easy on the joints. This is especially important if you're just starting out. Remember to follow any exercise with stretching to avoid injuries.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    For cardio, I use Turbo Jam by Chalene Johnson and Beachbody. I love her, she keeps me pumped up. According to my HRM I burn around 400 cals in 45 mins.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    HULA HOOP!!! My favorite exercise by far. You can do it while you're watching tv or listening to music and it tones your abs, PLUS burns between 100-150 calories in just 15 minutes!!
  • torontobaby
    Options
    Add some weight lifting to your workouts. Muscle burns more calories than fat. We lose muscle after the age of 40 and must work to keep it. I highly recommend checking out adding some weights to your routine. Oftentimes women stick to cardio workouts but they sell themselves short by not lifting weights. Do both. You will fee great.