OMG I knew it had to be true

because well by the end of my pms I would be positively STARVING. And now I know why, it is becouse us woman have an increase of our BMR of 5-10% for the week before our 'aunt flo" visits equaling out to an increase of 150 calories a day for some woman. At the end of the week that can be another 1000 calories. That would make me starving and it acounts to some extent, at least in my opinion for why we get such bad cravings for carbs and feel like we want to eat our left arm.

Here is the website that I read

http://www.rps.psu.edu/jan2000/hormone.html

http://caloriecount.about.com/women-burn-more-calories-period-q4262

Replies

• jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    holy shoot! this makes me feel so much better about last week! thanks for posting! :)
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Bump
  • vixkeri
    vixkeri Posts: 58 Member
    So what does a woman do if she doesn't get her period?
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Wow! Cool, this is interesting
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Bumping to read later
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    I guess this is why the cookies called my name so loudly yesterday :P
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    I'm another one that wants to eat everything in sight the week before my period. Interesting to know that there is some level of evidence for this feeling. I try to exercise more during that week, so I can eat more. And, I try to keep cookies out of the house. Chocolate is a necessity during that time. LOL
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    One small correction. You should not eat your left arm if you are craving carbs...everyone knows the left arm is all protein, the right arms is the one loaded with carbs.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    10% of my BMR is less than 150 calories a day. That's like an extra glass of milk.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    One small correction. You should not eat your left arm if you are craving carbs...everyone knows the left arm is all protein, the right arms is the one loaded with carbs.

I crave protein, particularly beef & liver. I would totally eat my left arm. :bigsmile:
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member

Depends on the reason. If reason is because of weight loss or unknown I would say she should call her doctor.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 127 Member

HAHAAAA.... THIS ^^^^^^ Made me spit out my water! :laugh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    For the purposes of this discussion, I'd think she goes about her business as usual since it doesn't apply to her.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    L Davidsen et. al. Impact of the menstrual cycle on determinants of energy balance: a putative role in weight loss attempts. International Journal of Obesity (2007) 31, 887-890

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n12/full/0803699a.html
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Ladies,

Do we really need to give ourselves permission to cave to cravings? Isn't a history of that kind of behavior what got many of us on MFP to begin with?

Make sure your nutrition is in order. If it is, pull up your big girl panties and know that your cravings will pass in a few days. Self sabotage will not get you closer to your goals.
  • So true this :drinker:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Ladies,

Do we really need to give ourselves permission to cave to cravings? Isn't a history of that kind of behavior what got many of us on MFP to begin with?

Make sure your nutrition is in order. If it is, pull up your big girl panties and know that your cravings will pass in a few days. Self sabotage will not get you closer to your goals.

Exactly. When I am eating right most of the time, and eating an appropriate amount of calories for me (definitely not 1200 a day), I find I don't have a problem. Maybe some of you are already not eating enough for what you really need and this causes more problems with cravings than your menstrual cycle.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Ladies,

^^This. And seriously. You have to be over 18 to be on this site, so I'm assuming you all are. Which means that most of you have had your periods for YEARS now...cravings, cramps, and all the things associated with periods should not come as a surprise to you at this point.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member

I crave protein, particularly beef & liver. I would totally eat my left arm. :bigsmile:
    Not suprising, you crave foods rich in iron.
  • bellefille
    bellefille Posts: 50 Member
    Ladies,

I am sorry but not everyone can ignore cravings as easily as you seem to suggest, and making someone feel guilty for not being able to just ignore it can lead to more self defeating behavior.

Learning how to manage it may be more helpful and the first step to doing so is to acknowledge the existence of the craving and to learn what is driving it hence the usefulness of this article. Managing a craving is not equal to caving to the craving, it is learning how to look for alternatives to satisfy the craving while acknowledging it - e.g. having a piece of dark chocolate instead of a bar of milk chocolate; or sucking cocoa beans instead of having chocolate.

That said, sometimes a craving for chocolate is just a craving for chocolate - in that case best eat the chocolate and factor it into your plan for the day.