Reason to not be Vegan?

Options
I have been eating only plant-based foods for the past year and really like it. But when i told my friend about this she said it wasn't healthy for the pancreas to only eat like that, and thats why she eats meat still and dairy. I was wondering if that was true because I have not heard that before and if there are any other health problems that can come up by being vegan?

Replies

• Aèlis18118360
    Options
    The only real problem related to eating completely vegan would be a lack of B12.

So you should take it from supplements or from enriched foods (for example, in the soy milk I drink it has been already added).

And you should also be careful about protein, because, as far as I know, only soy protein have all the amino acids. So you should mix the other sources of protein when you eat them (ex: legumes and cereals).

I'm not completely vegan anymore, but I had been for quite a long time.
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan and I haven't done any research on it, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I believe that veganism can be a perfectly acceptable and healthy lifestyle, if you do your research. From what I've read, most people who just jump into veganism without any research end up really low in protein. It could also be difficult to get enough iron, especially if you are female. You might have to end up taking some supplements. Do some googling, read some medical research papers, and talk to a doctor and/or nutritionist. It can be healthy if you know what you need to do to get all your essential nutrients, so definitely talk to a professional about it.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It can be healthy if you are extremely diligent about getting your vitamins and protein. B12 is a major one. After a couple years the lack of B12 can cause small holes to form in your skull. Also, a lack of protein can make it difficult for your muscles to heal after intense exercise or injuries. That said, if you are getting protein and vitamins from other sources, you should be ok. Though it might not be a bad idea to go to a nutritionist and have some blood work done to make sure you don't have any deficiencies.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I believe that veganism can be a perfectly acceptable and healthy lifestyle, if you do your research. From what I've read, most people who just jump into veganism without any research end up really low in protein. It could also be difficult to get enough iron, especially if you are female.

I agree with this. I was vegan for about 2 years, then stopped not because of health issues but because I missed cheese. There's no reason not to be vegan if you go about it in a healthy way (i.e. don't let your entire diet consist of nothing but pasta). Take a multi-vitamin if you are worried you aren't getting all the necessary micronutrients from your diet.

Potential health issues if your diet isn't varied enough: too much soy and you could end up with hypothyroidism. Not enough vitamin B12 and you could end up with decreased brain functions. Not enough iron and you could end up anemic.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    simple, bacon
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    We have the 5 food groups for a reason :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Experiment with how you feel, and make sure you get your nutrients in the right portions. I have a friend who has been mostly vegan for the past 16 years or so (she occasionally has dairy when it is impossible to get vegan food in certain countries, but her stomach doesn't like lactose, so it isn't an ideal solution). I have another friend who is vegan during the weekdays. And I have some friends who abandoned veganism and had a surge of energy.

Take your mufti vitamins and make sure you are getting plenty of iron and b-12. Watch your protein intake as well.

For some people, their body chemistry loves being vegan. For other people, not so much and it causes a decrease in energy levels. On the flip side, for some people going vegan increases their energy levels.
  • twiztid_princess
    Options
    You just have to make sure you are getting proper nutrients, like b12 and protein. I also had problems with iron (but i'm anemic). I recommend if you are on a vegan or veggie lifestyle that you take a multivitamin. Our bodies aren't made to drink cows milk, the milk is designed for calves that need to grow to be the a full size cow.

http://healthydialogues.blogspot.com/2009/02/hy-cows-milk-isnt-really-good-for-you.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596
  • joreill
    joreill Posts: 4
    Options
    If you don't have any issues with any of the following with the following, you probably shouldn't be a vegan: eggs, milk (and other dairy), fish, shell fish. By "issues" I mean moral or perhaps some unusual dietary issue (lactose intolerance being the most common that comes to mind) that eating organic doesn't cover. I don't believe there is any health advantage to veganism over vegetarianism, so long as your vegetarianism isn't cheese-pizza-ism. More, reasonably healthy, options are best in the long run I think.

Eat your veggies and watch protein and sugar. IMNSHO, pescaterians are probably best for heath concerns- enough variety without a lot of pitfalls. I'm not one, but I think that if you could impose one diet on the world as God-Emperor of the Earth this one would have the best outcomes health-wise.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Good thing for us vegans that beans and nuts fit in the meat and poultry of the five food groups. :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    simple, bacon

Damnit, I opened this thread to post that :D
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    simple, bacon

^^^THIS!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Agreed with the above that b12 is the only thing you simply cannot get as a vegan. Other than that more and more research is saying that a plant based diet is super healthy!
  • FoxWilkinson
    FoxWilkinson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I first started university, being a vegan was a big thing. I did a lot of a reaserch, and decided I would give the lifestyle a try. After about two months I felt so weak and sick I went to doctor. I didn't vary the diet enough to be sutiable, and after a blood test, my doc discovered I had developed a b12 and iron deficiancy. Plus, my blood type is O negative, and apparently it needs the meat proteins and iron from meats. After fixing stuff, I've just reduced my intake of red meat, but allow chicken and fish, and stick to organic veggies when I can. I really admire vegans, and often go with my friends to a little vegan bistro downtown. I just can't eat that way contstantly. I love soy and almond milk too :)
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have to give you this answer, meat is delicious. Meat is good for you. You can eat a lot of foods as long as it's in healthy moderation. And of course, MEAT IS DELICIOUS!!