Need Advice on Protein Powders

Options
elri1908
elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
Hi

I'm new to this site, and I'd like some advice on which protein powder to use to assist with weight loss.

I'm a believer of eating my calories back but find that a bit difficult since I don't have a lot of time to prepare food, and at work I am supposed to eat at the cafeteria with the students (a must) So, it would be nice to have something that I can take with without having to risk eating food that I don't know what the hell the calorie content of is.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    No help, but I want to watch this thread. Im trying to look into protein powders myself
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    CostCo sometimes has CytoSport MuscleMilk (tastes great) and 100% Whey Concentrate (tastes okay).

Otherwise, imo, avoid GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. Their stuff is marked up 50% and their in-store brands aren't the quality you'd expect for their ridiculous prices. I buy off of Amazon, the reviews are helpful. ON is a good brand to check out.
  • DinkyDini
    DinkyDini Posts: 29
    Options
    I really like Egg White Protein powder by Jay Robb, it tastes great, but it is a little pricey. I'm curious what other people like, I tried Aria for women and it's terrible, stay away from that one!
  • elri1908
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far,

I just need to add something - I'm in Korea, so many of the smaller brands will not be available here. I'll need to go big well-known brand. We do have a Costco here.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The strength training program I just started recommends consuming a post-workout recovery shake within 30-45 minutes of a lifting workout. I was hesitant that these would taste terrible. Luckily, they are absolutely DELICIOUS!!!

I bought 6 lbs of Cytosport 100% Whey Powder (Vanilla) at Costco for 45 bucks. I mix 1 scoop with 6 oz of Dole Pineapple Orange Banana Juice and shake it in my blender botter. Tastes like an orange julius - YUM!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You sound more like you're interested in a meal replacement, not a protein powder. Protein powder has nothing to do with weight loss, and should never be used as a meal replacement. That said, I don't use meal replacement,s, so I wouldn't be able to recommend any, but protein powder is not a nutritionally balanced replacement for a meal.
  • pclarinetto
    pclarinetto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i've tried a few, but so far eas whey powder is what i'm liking. it doesn't taste as chalky as some of the other ones; mix the vanilla with orange juice and you have a creamsicle or chocolate with milk. or you can drink it with water straight up if you don't want the extra calories.

the thing to look at would be protein number, fat number, and calorie number. some protein powders are for weight and muscle gain (http://eas.com/product/100-pct-whey-protein-powder), but if you're wanting it to help tone/lose weight get the highest protein with few fat and calories(http://eas.com/product/eas-lean-15-protein-powder).

hope that was somewhat useful.
  • elri1908
    Options
    You sound more like you're interested in a meal replacement, not a protein powder. Protein powder has nothing to do with weight loss, and should never be used as a meal replacement. That said, I don't use meal replacement,s, so I wouldn't be able to recommend any, but protein powder is not a nutritionally balanced replacement for a meal.

Thanks for this info - I'm so ill-informed so any info helps. I want to use the powder to make a high protein, low calorie meal in the morning - I will use other things as base (e.g. cottage cheese, yogurt, tofu etc. and add frozen fruit etc. as well as scoop of protein powder to boost the meal a bit. . I enjoy drinking things so I thought if I could make a 'big' meal in the form of a smoothie in the morning, it would help me in the afternoons (so that I can eat less then). I'm not really into replacing meals with just a protein drink. I just want to get the most out of a meal that I spent the least possible time preparing.

Sorry, I should have made that clear. Is this intended use do-able?
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Very much doable, i recommend optimum nutrition all natural pro complex just because its all natural. You can also go with NOW whey isolate.
  • kell3973
    kell3973 Posts: 5
    Options
    Our shakes have 400 recipes but under 400 calories and enough nutrition equal to $100..my three year old will never have ice cream..pure nutr
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm using Pea Protein. So far have tried it with Omelet, Home squeezed Strawberry and Orange Juice, Oatmeal pancake. Works fine with all these. Have also tried it just mixed with water and milk - it's drinkable but not particularly nice this way.

It's got a high percentage of protein, lower in carbs than the whey ones I've seen. Also has a lot of amino acids. Not 100% sure but I think the whey based ones might be digested quicker so they might be better after a workout.
  • elri1908
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful!:flowerforyou:
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far,

I just need to add something - I'm in Korea, so many of the smaller brands will not be available here. I'll need to go big well-known brand. We do have a Costco here.

Same here. I was looking for Muscle Milk on Gmarket.co.kr and it's around $85 for the 4.94lb powder or $55 for the 2lb one. Megamart has protein powders also, but they're around $100 and I don't remember the nutrition info right now.

Right now, I'm steaming pollock for dinner when I need extra protein. It's almost entirely (about 91%) protein.