Metabolism and Fat Burning

Options
After following a low carb diet (17 day diet) and doing at least 30- 40 minutes cardio a day, the last few weeks, I lost 16lbs (which I am really pleased about) ...but now I have plateued for the last 2 -3 weeks.

I am looking for advice on what diet to follow that promotes your body to continue in fat burning mode. I am presuming my body has slowed its metabolism and this has now killed my motivation to continue the diet (in fact im starting to slide into old habits of earting junk food) ... really quite frustrated with myself for all the hard work I have put in over the last 6 weeks. ..

Any suggestions of what has worked well for yourselves... I want to lose another 21lb and would like to see this gone in 2 months with daily excercise and by following a diet that keeps me in fat burning mode and my satiety satisfied.... (answers on a post card please :bigsmile:

Replies

• led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    check out fat2fit radio.. it will change your life.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Cheat your way thin would probably kick it off again Jarp..And it won`t cost you a penny.. ;o)
  • jonski1968
    Options
    check out fat2fit radio.. it will change your life.

•“Sweat is fat crying”
    •“Exercise to be fit, not skinny. Eat to nourish your body and always ignore the haters, doubters and unhealthy examples that were once feeding you. You are worth more than you realize.

Interesting looking site..
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    cutting out or significantly reducing your intake of a major food group is great for quick loss but when you begin eating normally again, well, it can be tough, you are experiencing that right now.

Maybe you can gently increase the amount of carbs you're eating and stay just below maintenance calories, for a week, to 'help reset' any damage a low carb diet has done. (and rapid weight loss will definately have done some damage)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hmmm sounds to me like you're not lifting weights & that's the main reason why your metabolism slows down. Sad to say but I think most of the weight loss came from muscle & not fat. You see strength training is very very important if you want to be fit. While you may not burn that much calories during the workout BUT muscle burns calories even as long as 36 hours after your workout & even at rest. Not to mention that the more muscle you have, the higher will be your metabolism & the burn you will burn fat. So lift weights, eat more protein-rich foods.

EDIT: and too much cardio leads to muscle loss which isn't good.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i stalled on low carb diet when i got down to 20% body fat,,,,, i kept my diet same but upped my carbs to 200g in line with my protein intake,,, the weight started dropping again but at a much slower rate.
  • jarp68
    jarp68 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi jon.. Do you have a link to it? Jan
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi jon.. Do you have a link to it? Jan

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • jonski1968
    Options
    Hmmmm..link to?
  • jarp68
    jarp68 Posts: 15
    Options
    thx for the feedback guys xx
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    After following a low carb diet (17 day diet) and doing at least 30- 40 minutes cardio a day, the last few weeks, I lost 16lbs (which I am really pleased about) ...but now I have plateued for the last 2 -3 weeks.

I am looking for advice on what diet to follow that promotes your body to continue in fat burning mode. I am presuming my body has slowed its metabolism and this has now killed my motivation to continue the diet (in fact im starting to slide into old habits of earting junk food) ... really quite frustrated with myself for all the hard work I have put in over the last 6 weeks. ..

Any suggestions of what has worked well for yourselves... I want to lose another 21lb and would like to see this gone in 2 months with daily excercise and by following a diet that keeps me in fat burning mode and my satiety satisfied.... (answers on a post card please :bigsmile:

You lost a lot of water doing low carb, hence the greater weight loss, fat loss would have been ruoghly the same had you eaten the same amount of cals and protein but higher carbs. It is pretty unlikely you downshifted your metabolism to a huge extent in this short period of time
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You lost a lot of water doing low carb, hence the greater weight loss, fat loss would have been ruoghly the same had you eaten the same amount of cals and protein but higher carbs. It is pretty unlikely you downshifted your metabolism to a huge extent in this short period of time

^ This. I pretty much agree with anything this man says.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

16 lbs of what?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

This. You lost a lot of water, and a bit of fat. It's not possible to lose that much fat in such a short time. Be patient, keep going. A stall is not a stall unless it's been 3-4 weeks with no movement. Your metabolism is just fine :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Don't just rely on cardio. Lift some heavy *kitten* weights doing basic compound movements to keep the metabolism up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition