Protein Powder help! What's your choice?

Options
maddiey
maddiey Posts: 231 Member
I am in search for a protein powder! I am currently doing p90x and I would like to have a protein powder, but I'm searching if there are better options then just buying the p90x Recovery Drink. I read online that the recovery drink has a 4:1 carb to protein ratio and I should look for something like that...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe tell me what you use? I'm not sure what I want to get!
Thanks! :)

Replies

• herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.. so I am bumping this.

I did pick up Jillian Michaels Whey Protein today, but haven't tried it yet (that's for tomorrow after my workout!). I was buying protein shakes from my gym but at $5.00 I was spending way too much money. Plus, working out at night.. sometimes the cafe is closed by the time I am done with my workout...
  • maddiey
    Options
    Hey well let me know how it tastes! That's also important... it would be great if it tastes good too haha. I have a EAS protein powder, I need to check out the ingredients and what not, but it's really not that great haha.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition Natural Chocolate. It's not strong, because it lacks artificial flavors and sweeteners- it's just the good stuff, only the good stuff. Clumps by spoon, but not in a blender or shake bottle. It's my FAV.

That said, Muscle Milk and Syntha Vanilla are the tastiest vanillas on this planet. It's too bad they have like 3 different types of artificial sweeteners otherwise I would be gobbling up a sweet tasty milkshake right now.

Mint Chocolate Chip by Optimum Nutrition is the -sheeez- as well. It's so tasty it's not funny.

Banana blast or whatever by Nitrotech Muscletech Myo-fusion or whatever is pretty damn delicious as well, but it's chock full of sucralose.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use AwarenessLife vegan, gluten free meal replacement shakes for breakfast so that I can get a mix of protein, carbs, and healthy fat. Post-workout I use zero carb Isopure (cookies and cream flavor), which is a whey protein. I like Isopure (and was recommended to use it by my personal trainer) because of the great taste, low calories, and lower level of cholesterol than many others. You can get it very affordably at BodyBuilding.com (GNC usually WAY over-charges). It also has very high quality ingredients so that you are just getting the stuff you need- not fillers and additives like many other lower quality brands.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I use AwarenessLife vegan, gluten free meal replacement shakes for breakfast so that I can get a mix of protein, carbs, and healthy fat. Post-workout I use zero carb Isopure (cookies and cream flavor), which is a whey protein. I like Isopure (and was recommended to use it by my personal trainer) because of the great taste, low calories, and lower level of cholesterol than many others. You can get it very affordably at BodyBuilding.com (GNC usually WAY over-charges). It also has very high quality ingredients so that you are just getting the stuff you need- not fillers and additives like many other lower quality brands.

Oh man, I love isopure too! Have you tried the fruity flavors? Why are they so delicious!?!
  • maddiey
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Has anyone tried the kind they sell at Costco? Any good?

And that's a good tip, I'll look around bodybuilding.com to see if I can find any cheaper.
  • maddiey
    Options

Oh man, I love isopure too! Have you tried the fruity flavors? Why are they so delicious!?!

I'm guessing this Isopure is good stuff??
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've got the Myofusion stuff... vanilla flavour... and I love it! My morning/after workout smoothie right now is:
    -1cup of water
    -1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
    -1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    -1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    -1 scoop myfusion powder
    -stevia to taste (I usually add 1 tiny scoop)
    -1 tablespoon lemon juice
    -1 tablespoon no sugar added raspberry jam

Blend. Makes about a 3 cup drink, but oh so tasty.

EDIT: 2lb container was about $35.00 (CDN)
  • maddiey
    Options
    Would anyone mind posting how much they spent on these?
  • riff71
    riff71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not very up on this stuff but I use maxielle true diet in vanilla.I pay £33 for I think it's 1.81 k tub.It's cheaper than most and I find if I have a shake in the morning it fills me up til lunchtime and I also use it before a run and I'm sure it helps.I get it from myprotein or monster supplements.I like the fact that with monster supplements I usually get a freebie sample :)
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    as far as protein powder in and of itself it concerned you need to look at more than just the protein or carb content because protein powders in different forms based on purity, Protein powder is made during the cheese and curd making process whey protein poweders start in whats called whey concentrate which still contains a lot of the fats and carbs that most people dont want in their protein powders so they refine it even more into whats called whey isolates which are very pure however they can refine even that down more into whats called hydrolyzed whey isolates which is the purest and most expensive form of protein powder available. so protein powder is like anything else, you get what you pay for. personally I think Optimum Nutritions Gold standard whey is a good choice which derives most of its content from whey isolates. as for your post workout carbs you can just drink a gatorade that would provide enough fast acting high GI carbs to spike your insulin levels and drive nutrients into the muscle tissue. any questions? let me know
  • schwim
    schwim Posts: 65
    Options
    I've used this 'Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion 2268 g Chocolate Peanut Butter Muscle Building Protein Shake Powder'. I got it from amazon for £35. A body building friend recommended it to me when when i tried to do P90X.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels Whey was only about 10 bucks at Wal Mart.

The reason I chose it was because it is lighter in regards to Calories, and it is all natural ingredients.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein: 140 calories, 2 grams fat, 4 g carbs, and 26 g protein. It was about $18 for 27 servings which is 66 cents per serving. It mixes easily and tastes great.

I get it at Walmart