gained 5 pounds in 2 days????

Options
scplummer
scplummer Posts: 19 Member
I gained 5 pounds in 2 days! Here's my story: I was away on a tubing trip with Girl Scouts on Saturday and I didn't drink my normal quantity of water because I lost my water bottle in the rapids. I also didn't eat as well as I normally do (i.e. had white bread, potato chips). Later that evening I became bloated and constipated. By this morning, I had gained 5 pounds. How is that possible??????

I had to change my ticker this morning: :sad:

165415.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    You answered your own question, Bad eating/drinking routine. Truth hurts but you'll get lose it once you start back to your normal routine. Regretfully it will take 1-2 weeks to lose such a binge. Now you know how your body will react. That' s a hard lesson to learn but it is a good one.:smile:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    To be sure, you didn't gain 5 lbs of fat. Not enough water, too much sodium, constipation...it's easy to figure out the problem! Don't worry about the scale, it'll drive you crazy! Start fresh today, and you will be fine.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds in 2 days! Here's my story: I was away on a tubing trip with Girl Scouts on Saturday and I didn't drink my normal quantity of water because I lost my water bottle in the rapids. I also didn't eat as well as I normally do (i.e. had white bread, potato chips). Later that evening I became bloated and constipated. By this morning, I had gained 5 pounds. How is that possible??????

165415.png

Bloating and constipation sounds like fluid retention, among other things:laugh: If you didn't drink as much water as you usually do, you may be retaining water becasue your body is trying to hold on to what it does have. I seriously don't think you could gain 5 pounds of fat in just two days. See what the scale says next week, i'm sure you'll see a drop.
  • kelbelle970
    Options
    I had the same kind of week -end! I couldn't believe the scale when ot read 5-6 lbs heavier this morning. In a way though, I think it's a weird sort of motivation for me. After I looked at this inflated number....I knew that my workouts had to ramped up this week...in order to get back to where I was.

Who knew one week end of indulgence could have this BIG of an effect though?
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    have you all weighed in at the same time? weight can vary depending on time of day.
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You DIDN"T gain 5 pounds in 2 days. It takes an extra 3500 calories...that is 3500 calories OVER what your body requires on a daily basis...to gain just ONE pound. To gain 5 pounds in 2 days means you ate over 17,000 EXTRA calories! I don't think you did that. A lack of water can make your body do feel horrible. You not only retain any water you do take in but you aren't as "regular" as you normally would be. Compound that with your diet being, well, less than normal, nothing good comes from that. But it is temporary weight that will go away after you are on your regular eating and drinking schedule. Stay off the scale and give it at least a week to get on track. It will be ok! :wink:
  • jillmarie4780
    Options
    I had a similar experience this morning. Saturday morning I was happy with my weight loss. Tuesday morning I had gained 6 lbs! Sunday and Monday were my 2 "indulgence days" per week based on Jordan Rubin's "Perfect Weight America" plan. I"m sure I only ate 2000 calories in two days. What is going on? :grumble:
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience this morning. Saturday morning I was happy with my weight loss. Tuesday morning I had gained 6 lbs! Sunday and Monday were my 2 "indulgence days" per week based on Jordan Rubin's "Perfect Weight America" plan. I"m sure I only ate 2000 calories in two days. What is going on? :grumble:

I had a similar thing happen this weekend. Weighed myself Saturday morning. Then, went on an 8 mile hike with a 35 pound pack on Saturday and a 3 mile hike on Sunday. Ate a bit above normal on Saturday because I burned an extra estimated 3000 calories. Was 5 pounds heavier on Monday.

All I can say is accept it and don't over analyze it. Get back on track and hopefully it will drop off quickly.
  • riveradee
    riveradee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    yes definitely sounds like water weight...as someone else had said it takes 3500 to gain or lose a lb..drink alot of water to help shed the excess water..i have to do it every month ;-)
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That too shall pass.
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    After the easter weekend I found I had put on more than 6 pounds for the same reasons. Poor diet and not enough water. Back to the normal routeen and some extra water, 24 hours later I was down the 6 pounds. If you ate lots of salty chips and carbs it is probably all water weight.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 17500 calories in the last 2 days?

It's not fat. You will drop it back off in a couple of days. Drink more water for the next week.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

165415.png

Plenty of water and fibre, to errrr clear you out! You'll be back down to normal in no time
  • billthekill
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about it. It's almost all water weight.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

165415.png

WATER, WATER, WATER WEIGHT! I drive myself CRAZY over the last months (8) losing and gaining the SAME 5 pounds...I think I might have broken my plateau from hell this morning....It is NOT a 5 pound gain...Put the scale away if it makes you nuts...Weigh in ONLY once a week if you really want to and measure your body!

Hang in there...xo
  • sarachelz
    sarachelz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had this happen when I became constipated, the scale flew back up and I was sad, however I knew that was the cause. Just things some time to go back to normal, and you'll find soon enough you are back down about where you were.
  • burklebees
    Options
    Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Your weight should be back to normal in a couple of days.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Welp, same thing has happened to me. I spent this Memorial Day weekend at the lake with some friends, and this morning I weighed 2.5lbs more. I barely ate anything all weekend! What I ate wasn't the best- but I made sure to eat my burger w/ out the bun, and opted for Subway on Sunday, instead of something fried and greasy. Still though, there is no way I could have consumed enough calories to gain 2.5lbs.

Before I completely flipped out, I started thinking back to my water consumption- and it HAS to be that. I'm ashamed to admit it- but on Saturday, the only liquid I had was a bottle of diet Sun Drop (you Southerners know what I'm talking about! :)), and two bottles of water- which amounts to around 4 cups. THAT'S IT!

Sunday was even worse- 1 tiny can of diet Sun Drop, 1 bottle of water, and 1/2 bottle of Vitamin Water. I'm terrible, I know. But I'm new to this "lake weekend" stuff- and didn't think ahead, b/c pretty much all our friends had there to drink was alcohol. Next time I'll be bringing my own water! I couldn't have consumed too many calories in alcohol, b/c the only alcoholic drink I had was something they called the "gin bucket" which was literally a bucket with sprite zero, some cut lemons and limes, gin...and maybe something else...i don't know. By the time I had my 1 and only 1 cup of it, the ice they had dumped in there had mostly all melted and it just tasted like watered down lemonade.

I say all this to say- it has to be water weight, right?! Needless to say I'll be guzzling it from now on! Along with my 1 diet Sun Drop which I treat myself to daily :)