Exercising like mad but not losing the lbs

Options
Hi

I have recently joined a gym 4 weeks ago and am doing 60mins cardio and 20 mins weights 3-4 times a week. (700ish Calories a session) I have only lost 4lb since joining but think I have lost a inch or so. Is it me being paranoid or is it normal? I try not to weigh myself often but did the other day after 2 weeks and only lost half a pound. Can anyone pleeeease advise.

Thanks

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Before anyone can advise I think you'll need to give a bit more information and open your diary.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You've lost 4 lbs in 4 weeks? That's excellent!
  • builtforlife
    Options
    Decrease your cardio to 45 minutes, increase your weights to 30 minutes.
  • jarrodleeray
    jarrodleeray Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kirsty, need to know what your calorie intake is then minus your exercise, water intake etc.... it can just take some time for your body to adjust to fat burn mode sometimes :)
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What you are you are going through is normal. You body is making necessary adjustment. Give it a few more weeks. Stay patient and don't quit. Results are just around the corner.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I have been at it since the week before Christmas. Have lost only 17 lb, but feel terrifice and have lost inches (4") form my hips alone! Keep it up, it is harder as we get older, but so worth it!
  • kakiem
    kakiem Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    4lbs in 4 weeks is awesome and also a healthy amount. I would love to consistently lose a lb a week! It's also excellent that you can see in inches that your workout is working. You're on the right track so do not worry
  • Lojsen
    Lojsen Posts: 8
    Options
    If you're working out 3-4 times a week, you are probably building muscles. And muscles weight more than fat. You are saying that you have lost inches around your waist, and that tells me that you are on the right path! It is normal what you're experiencing. keep up the good work!
  • Pedrocas
    Pedrocas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First of all 4 lbs in 4 weeks is actually awesome! Second you're probably gaining some muscle while transforming your body, so just take it easy, results always come slow, that's just the way it is =)
    Keep it up!!
  • lpascucci910
    Options
    Same thing happened to me! Than, I started noticing my cloths fit better! Started measuring and the inches were and still are disappearing! The weight is slow to go, but that is okay......it took me quite a few years to gain! Don't get discouraged!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted this on the discussion boards. It has some awesome info. Here is the link. I hope it helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/556885-tips-from-my-nutritionist-i-wasn-t-losing-anymore-eek
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It seems to me like you've gotten some excellent results! Give it some more time and continue doing what you do and I'm sure you'll continue to lose weight.

Problem is, too many people watch Biggest Loser and believe that it's normal to lose 10 lbs a week, but it's not. Shows like The Biggest Loser have the contestants put their lives on pause while they're in the show and have them work full time with losing weight. It isn't normal and it the people doing this aren't really feeling well, but it's a contest.

Losing a pound a week is actually optimal. And actually, the slower you lose the weight, the bigger are the odds that you'll keep the weight off permanently.
  • glpennington
    Options
    As my personal trainer always says "Muscle is built in the gym and fat is cut in the kitchen". One should not be as concerned with the calorie reading on the machine while you working out. What is important is the metabolic effect and energy required to recover after the workout. That can last up to 48 hours after a good workout. However, if weight is your focus then you need to focus on food. A caloric deficit is the best road to weight loss. 1 to 2 pounds lost per week is good. Anything more than that may mean muscle loss and a slower metabolism which in turn makes it even harder to get anywhere.
  • colins53
    colins53 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and advice. It really does make a difference when explained to :-))))
  • katetaylor999
    katetaylor999 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You're losing at the same rate as me. I was disheartened and wanted/expected quicker results, but now I'm 15 weeks in and am focussing on the great feeling I get from realising how much my fitness is improving and it's actually at a sustainable rate too. Keep going, and well done!
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    You've lost 4 lbs in 4 weeks? That's excellent!

This!!!!!
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    And muscles weight more than fat.

*facepalm*
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Slow down sister!
    No reason to kill yourself trying to make yourself better!

focus on lifting weights and make them a priority while dieting down.
    Lift 3 times a week with the big boys using a program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
    Then, if you have the energy, walk 20 mins a day if you absolutely need the cardio.

When you are dieting down you need to maintain as much lean mass as possible.
    This is hard for most since you are eating below maintenance and it takes food to maintain lean mass and build muscles.

The only 2 exceptions are if you are genetically superior or if you are Obese 2 or Obese 3.
    I doubt you are superior.
    look to burn around 600-1000 calories a week and youll do just fine.