asmatha and exercise

Options
Need help does anyone know any exercise that will improve asmatha?

I was recently diagnosed with asmatha.
I used to do swimming and logs but do not seem to be able to do as much.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you have asthma and are still struggling with symptoms then you need to see your GP to increase your medication.
    Preventer inhalers which you take twice a day should be titrated up to a dose which means you only have to use your reliever inhaler (salbutamol) 2-4 times a week. If this is not the case, see your doc to help get better control of your asthma.

All exercise will improve your lung function but if you are struggling to get exercise in because of asthma symptoms then you are not controlled sufficiently

Source: I'm a nearly-qualified doctor and asthma sufferer myself
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    No, but I've found that the more I exercise, the better my asthma seems to get. I've had it my whole life, though not always bad. I just keep an inhaler nearby at all times, ESPECIALLY when exercising. Swimming has never been something that really triggered my asthma, though, even when I was young and did a lot more strenuous swimming than I do these days. There may be things out there that can specifically help with the symptoms of asthma, but, if there are, I'm not currently aware of them. I hope you get some more answers. :) Best wishes.
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma. I apparently had suffered with it all my life on a smaller scale, but never realized it until I started running. i had several wheezing episodes during running and one that scared the daylights out of me afte running in colder than usual air. I went to the dr and was given an inhaler (which I hardly ever use) and put on daily medication. (of course this was after a lung function test)

I asked if I needed to stop running and her reply was "No that can only help it." I am an avid runner and teach 4 Zumba classes a week. I hardly ever have issues. I just know that I can't run in cold air because that is one of the definite triggers.........so I slack off of running in the winter. You need to see advice from your dr. because it sounds like you asthma isn't properly controlled. You shouldn't be held back from doing the things you love
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have Asthma, not just exercise induced, but allergy/bronchial type. Running has saved my life in all honesty! When I started, I needed a bump in medicine and used my inhaler before every workout, but 1.5 years later I am running/training for my first marathon with no inhaler and able to run sub 8 minute 5K times (most recent was 24:25, 7:53 pace). My doctor informed me that I still do have asthma and I do notice allergies affecting it a bit right now, mostly at night and when I wake up, but I still have not needed to take m medicine or use my inhaler. In the summer, due to humidity and allergies, I will bring my inhaler as a precaution and I still have a script open for singulair if I need to go back on it. I am not saying this would happen for everyone, but never giving up on myself and continuing to run has seriously helped my asthma!

To add in edit: I ran all throughout the winter months outside, including the half marathon which is my profile picture. I used my inhaler up until January, but this past winter was very mild for my area. Cold air and the other extreme high humidity/heat definitely aggravate it more. Absolutely talk to your doctor and find the right medication for yourself to start going out there! Asthma is not curable, but can absolutely be maintained through exercise and the proper treatments.
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Exercise does help people with asthma. Exercise stretches your lungs and airways and reduces the work of breathing by reducing airway resistance. Aerobic capacity is also better, so during asthma attacks you won't feel as tired or as short of breath because your lungs and tissues can extract oxygen much better than if you are physically unfit.

In exercise-induced asthma, physical activity can actually trigger an asthma attack so make sure you know if you have this particular condition. This is not difficult to treat and should not be an excuse to stop exercising. However, before you go into an exercise regimen, visit your doctor and make sure your asthma is very well controlled. A person with well controlled asthma will rarely have asthma attacks or rarely use reliever medicine.