Incorporating Weight Training

Options
Thinking ahead... I know that I am going to have to incorporate more weight training into my fitness routine than what is included in a Jillian Michaels video.. I know that free weights are ideal... but while my husband is at work I do not have access to a car. My neighborhood gym has some dumbbells and weight lifting machines.... so I know I can use those.. so I just have a couple questions.

There are no leg machines...can I do squats with dumbbells? Is there a different exercise that will give me similar benefit?

What are some tips for someone easing into weight lifting? I lifted in high school (six years ago) but I'm basically starting over.

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You can do dumbbell squats and still be effective. You won't be winning any power lifting competitions doing those, but it'll work. Tips? Start slow and once you're confident in your form, go heavy or go home.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    yeah.. I kinda figured I wouldn't really be able to squat as much that way because you can't really duck under a dumbbell to pick it up.. I'd have to be able to get it off the ground with my arms.... I just feel like I can't get away with not working the lower body
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can do several exercises for legs with just DBs. Look into Bulgarian Split Squats, Romanian Deadlifts, Step-ups, and various forms of Lunges (forward, reverse, side).
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like free weights (kettle bells specifically) better than machines. Exercises with free weights that require balance works your whole body especially your core while working your legs. While machines may focus on one muscle group, I think they are uni-dimentianal and less interesting. Good luck!