Hi, from Central Arkansas.....

JenSteck
JenSteck Posts: 13 Member
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
So, I'm 41 and I'm just darn tired of dragging these extra pounds around. I have 2 kiddos and 3 step kiddos. I have noticed I've slowly gained weight over the last few years and I think having to cook for 7 people may be part of the problem. What's the easiest thing to cook for this many people? oh..a huge amount of spaghetti and meatballs...or some casserole...
Well, no more of that. Luckily my family likes stir fry and curries etc.
And I have to increase my exercise. Floating around the pool sipping on a beer just doesn't cut it......uh...right?
My goal is to lose 40 lbs. and to simply get in better health. I can walk all day, but make me run and I swear I'm gonna keel over. I need to get this heart a thumping...and not just over my sexy husband.
Well...I'm going need all the help I can get on these goals....I tend to be...well.....lazy.
I've been thinking of joining Curves, there is one a couple blocks away from my house. I've heard great things about Curves...any of you guys had any experience with it?
Guess that's a good enough introduction.....Hi y'all. :)
-Jen

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    My sister always really liked Curves, but I've never tried. Her schedule changed and she couldn't go while there were open anymore. She and I both joined 10 Fitness. I really like it there. They have a circuit training room, which is what Curves is, plus all the other cardio and strength equipment you'd want. Plus, they are only $50 to start and $10 a month (no contract!!!)
  • JenSteck
    Ah..I didnt' realize that 10 Fitness had the circuit training. I like the no contract part. It's not as convenient, but hmm....sounds like it's worth checking out.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    So, I'm 41 and I'm just darn tired of dragging these extra pounds around. I have 2 kiddos and 3 step kiddos. I have noticed I've slowly gained weight over the last few years and I think having to cook for 7 people may be part of the problem. What's the easiest thing to cook for this many people? oh..a huge amount of spaghetti and meatballs...or some casserole...
    Well, no more of that. Luckily my family likes stir fry and curries etc.
    And I have to increase my exercise. Floating around the pool sipping on a beer just doesn't cut it......uh...right?
    My goal is to lose 40 lbs. and to simply get in better health. I can walk all day, but make me run and I swear I'm gonna keel over. I need to get this heart a thumping...and not just over my sexy husband.
    Well...I'm going need all the help I can get on these goals....I tend to be...well.....lazy.
    I've been thinking of joining Curves, there is one a couple blocks away from my house. I've heard great things about Curves...any of you guys had any experience with it?
    Guess that's a good enough introduction.....Hi y'all. :)
    -Jen

Hi Jen, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As for exercise, it doesn't always have to be awful, or even cost money.
    I belonged to Curves years ago, and lost a few pounds. I even started working for them and got to work out any time I wanted to for free! But, I didn't really start to lose weight till I came to MFP!
    For my exercise these days, I walk almost every day. (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile
  • CrystalT
    Ah..I didnt' realize that 10 Fitness had the circuit training. I like the no contract part. It's not as convenient, but hmm....sounds like it's worth checking out.

Yep, they have circuit training and they also have a women only area. I'll admit that it is the most convenient to me, but it is just a really good deal. I also just really like it there. I had a membership to Powerhouse and only went for a few months. I got really discouraged looking at all the body builders. I don't feel that way at 10 Fitness. There are plenty of people in all sorts of different fitness levels.
  • JenSteck
    Yeah....I don't want to see bodybuilders while I huff and puff. I'll check it out. I live right nest to East Campus High School....I should just go walk the track. In this beautiful weather, that's not a problem. I think I'll just have to do that this evening.
  • CrystalT
    I would much rather be outside. Actually, my husband and I ride bikes for our cardio usually. We really just go to the gym for strength training or if it is rainy.
  • Sherry79
    Sherry79 Posts: 74
    Welcome Jen! I am new here too but already I can tell I love this place :smile: I know what you mean about the meals. My problem isn't cooking for so many people but I have a very active little 2 year old who wants her mommy right with her all the time. So I have been cooking whatever is fastest which is not always the healthiest. But I have decided I will take the time to cook healthy and my whole family will benefit from the results! I know you can do this. If I can help you at all I'm here for you!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.