Should you weigh daily?

Options
I was just curious if you guys do this, or if you think its a good idea.
I read somewhere that you should, and I have been the last few days. I've been working really hard and yet its telling me I've gained 0.2 here, and there. Should I just focus on keep going or is that a signal that I need to cut down even more/workout more?

For example:
Monday Goal 1870 ; Food 1404 ; Exercise 793 ; Net 611 (Weigh in Tuesday 244.0)
Tuesday Goal 1870 ; Food 1609 ; Excercise 659 ; Net 950 (Weigh in Tuesday 244.3 / 0.2 +)
Wednesday Goal 1870 ; Food 1756 ; Exercise 877 ; Net 879 (Weigh in Thursday 244.4 / 0.1+)
Thursday Goal 1870 ; Food 2265 ; Exercise 1337 ; Net 928 (Weigh in Friday 244.9 / 0.6+)

Any advice? Anything would be appreciated. thanks.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you can't accept your body's normal fluctuations without panicking, then you should not weigh every day.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily, too stressful. Weighing in 1 time a week works great for me, I feel I can actually see real progress that way.
    To each their own. :smile:
  • brielihar
    Options
    I do! Now I have a pretty good idea on how my body fluctuates, so there aren't any surprises; say after a heavy lifting day. If I did not keep up with normal changes, an after weight lifting high would totally shock me.
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you can't accept your body's normal fluctuations without panicking, then you should not weigh every day.

So how can you tell a normal fluctuation from actual weight gain/loss?
  • bella51708
    Options
    Your body isn't going to gain weight that quickly. It takes time to actually gain weight, just as it takes time to lose weight. As long as you are staying within your calorie goal on MFP, you will lose. Daily fluctations for me range from 1-2 pounds, but overall, it goes down. Kind of like 1 pound up, 1/2 pound down, 1/4 pound up, 2 pounds down. I may bob around the same weight for a week or so, but then I will see it go down like 2 or 3 pounds in one crack.

Just stick with it and you will see it go down.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily just to keep me on track, but i only really pay attention to my tuesday morning weigh in.
  • TXRobinD
    TXRobinD Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and track my results every Friday moring. That is the "official" record of my weight. Now during the week I do weigh myself other times just to see what is going on. You have to understand that your weight through out the day can change but that does not mean you have "gained" weight. I can go eat a healthy 500 cal lunch and the scale says I have gained 3 pounds but I know that is not real weight it is just my body handling the things it must do to keep me going. I feel it is better to just pick a day (once a week, once a month etc) to have an official weigh in and then just let the rest of it all work itself out.
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Where did you read that you should weigh daily? Source please!!

I highly recommend weighing weekly, or less frequently. The scale isn't that good at telling you how much fat you've lost.

Also, your net calories are VERY low. How come you're not eating enough calories to reach your calorie goal?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You have to get to know your body, and look at the long-term results.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

You can't, which is why if you're even asking the question, it's likely that weighing in every day is not for you.

I weigh in daily. My weight fluctuates by up to a pound each day according to:
    - How much sodium I've eaten and water I've consumed the day before (more sodium or less water = retaining water = need to drink more water)
    - Daily variances in the amount of "used food" working its way through my colon and other "guest weight". :)
    - The foibles of my cheap crappy bathroom scale.

I don't sweat half- to one-pound variances. I log them all and check my PROGRESS by watching the trend in my weight - which is exactly what people who weigh in weekly or monthly do. I just like to have extra data points to average rather than one data point a week or month. And I also like frequent updates so I can see if I'm doing something wrong (three days trending up in weight means I've screwing something up, for example).

But if you are the sort of person who is going to worry about a pound here and there, weigh in weekly. You'll still have variances, but if your weight loss is progressing as it should you'll always seen downward-trending numbers.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

If you're weighing daily (which I do) then you need to watch your progress in the "progress" area of this site to "know" if it's actual weight gain or not. If the trend is down, you're doing it right, if the trend is up....you're doing it wrong ;). If the trend is more like a straight line then you may need to change a few things, but you're still not gaining so you must be doing something right lol.

The progress report thing only really works if you've been on here long enough to have a few months of weigh ins.

I weigh daily but only record losses. That way mine is always a "down trend" line. Sometimes, I maintain/gain for two weeks (or more lately lol) so my weigh ins are few and far between, but I still weigh everyday. I gain very easily (over 5 lbs since Friday lol) Is it mostly water? Probably, but I've been weighing daily for months so I know my regular fluctuations and try not freak out when the scale takes what I would call a massive jump haha.
  • JeepBrah
    JeepBrah Posts: 150
    Options
    If you only do cardio to lose weight I quess so.

If you do weightlifting with it you should not weight daily and not even focus on what the scale says at all. All you need to do is look in the mirror. You'll gain muscle when working out which leads to increase weight even tho you bodyfat will drop.
  • MumMumOfMany
    MumMumOfMany Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to weighin everyday. really got me dwn, would fluctuate 2/3lbs dependin on when i exercised, how much i drank etc. Now i only do it every friday mornin, and for past 3weeks ive had 2lb loss a week. makes me happier and i dont fret as i did weighin every day x
  • grandmeem
    grandmeem Posts: 28
    Options
    I weigh myself every day even though I've been told I shouldn't. It helps me to keep focused on my goals. Anyone looking for friends, please add me.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but I don't freak out over the fluctuation because there are so many factors that go into it. Sodium is a big deal for me. If I have too much, I retain water pretty quickly. Also, if I eat a lot of processed foods, my body will hold on to water. I find that by eating more whole and clean foods, the weight will come off. I say this because I noticed you eat a lot of processed foods. Also, you might want to keep track of your sodium because some of the foods you are eating tend to have a ton of sodium. This can be why you aren't losing the weight.

I feel much more accountable for everything if I weigh myself everyday.
  • radarlynn
    radarlynn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your body can fluctuate 5 pounds up or down daily. Water weight is a big factor in that, but so is food. I weigh in once a week, sometimes every other week. I used to weigh in a few times a week and panic when I'd be up a few pounds. Also be sure to weigh yourself right when you get up. The most accurate weight you can get is in the morning before eating.
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Where did you read that you should weigh daily? Source please!!

I highly recommend weighing weekly, or less frequently. The scale isn't that good at telling you how much fat you've lost.

Also, your net calories are VERY low. How come you're not eating enough calories to reach your calorie goal?

From Men's Health, EAT THIS NOT THAT List, http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/20-habits-skinny-people-live-by

"Skinny Habit #2: Weigh yourself daily
    Stepping on the scale can be disheartening, particularly after an indulgent weekend (“I gained five pounds since Friday?!”). But it's best to face your fears, because as it turns out, weighing yourself regularly can actually help you stay slim. Scientists at the University of Minnesota discovered that people who got on the scale every day lost twice as much weight as those who weighed themselves less often. The assumption: Monitoring your weight keeps your mind on your health and prevents weight denial"

But you all are right, I think I should just have one official weigh in day a week, and go by that.
    I thought I was limiting myself to a good number of cals, should I be eating more? I figured as long as my net was lower than 1200 cals, then I'm on a good track, but maybe I'm not, should that net really be the same amount as my goal?
  • gtchs
    gtchs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I want to see the progress (or not) I've made every day. However, I don't always log my weight in MFP if it goes up a pound or two since I know such fluctuations are normal. For me, I feel that if I only weighed weekly I would 'cheat' early in the week with hopes of making up for it at the end of the week.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I weigh daily. My body weight fluctuates within a 4 lbs range each week, largely dependent on if I eat salty foods, and the proximity to my scheduled "cheat meal". I plot my weight each day in Excel so I can keep track of the trend and be aware of normal fluctuations without freaking out.