Building muscles and other lifting questions

Options
I just read that you can't build muscles on the calorie deficit, is that true?
Also I know a couple of guys that prefer to lose weight and then do strength training to buid muscle, is it the best way to go about it?

Replies

• poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I used to do more cardio than strength training, my PT recommended weights and I gained 1 inch on my forearms in the first month on MFP calories
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For the last 15 months I have eaten at a calorie deficit and have still gained muscle. People are different. Eating more would I have gained MORE muscle? Probably. But I accomplished my goal, which was to keep my muscles and gain a little muscle, while losing fat. Don't make your deficit huge, eat lots of protein, and combine strength training and cardio. At least that worked for me :)
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    uuuuh.. I don't know now what to do.. should i join the gym to do strength training or stick to JM, elliptical and walking..
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you have a very high BF%, and a total beginner at weight training, it's possible to gain some muscle in a low-moderate calorie deficit. It's going to be slow, and you will hit the wall on gaining muscle quickly.

It's still useful to weight train in a calorie deficit. It will help reduce the amount of lean mass lost while dieting.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Strength train to KEEP the muscle you already have. If you want to build more when you've reached your goal, you can go on a "bulk cycle," then a "cut cycle," but your goal when losing should be to keep as much muscle as you can, so you don't have to build it again because it's really hard to gain.
  • kjmarks11
    kjmarks11 Posts: 19
    Options
    LIFT WEIGHTS first!!!! I was about 15lbs overweight - 5'5" weighing 160. I was on the treadmill or elliptical 3-4 times a week for a minimum of 45minutes and dieting. I couldn't get the weight off. Some guys at the gym convinced me to get off the cardio equipment and lift with them. I started lifting 3 days a week for 45 minutes and dropped 10lbs very quickly. I've been at it 12 weeks now and am so pleased with the results. Down 17lbs and lifting 4 days a week. Very little cardio anymore just because I don't have the time, but when I do go for a run or a hike now I have way more endurance. Wish I would have know the "secret" to my success a long time ago!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Strength train to KEEP the muscle you already have. If you want to build more when you've reached your goal, you can go on a "bulk cycle," then a "cut cycle," but your goal when losing should be to keep as much muscle as you can, so you don't have to build it again because it's really hard to gain.

This and people new to lifting might be able to gain a bit of muscle while on a deficit.
  • yuliyax
    Options
    I am 6 ft and my BF is 35 % and the ultimate goal is to have 21% so I would very much like to keep the lean body mass that is hiding underneath the fat, also should I be eating more protein and change my macros?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a gym you can do body weight strength training!
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    It's possible, but very complex. It depends on several factors.

1. Your body type (lean, overweight, muscular etc..)
    2. The size of you defecit. The larger your calorie defecit the harder it is to gain lean muscle mass as your body looks to deplete fat and muscle stores for energy
    3. Your workout, specifically the intensity (reps, sets, rest period, weight used etc...)
    4. Your diet/eating habits

For me, someone with a muscular build and low body fat, gaining muscle on a defecit is difficult. My defecit is only 250 calories a day, but alot of guys in my situation who are cutting usually drop a bit of lean muscle mass as they reach their goals. I've been able to maintain my muscle mass but have not gained any.
  • yuliyax
    Options
    If you don't have a gym you can do body weight strength training!
    Ok, thats good news :), what equipment do I need, and what sort of exercises should i do, I'm looking at strengthening my upper body - arms and core (i can't even do push ups)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would suggest strength training with very little cardio - You can still loose fat and maintain your current muscle mass...

I have lost about 18 lbs in the past 6 months - doing basically strength training with very little Cardio - but have dropped tons of inches and toned up quite a bit....

With strength training and dieting you may find the scale weight goes down a bit slower...I have my things set to loose 1 lbs a week but it is more like .5/week -

I would rather have muscles and tone than see a certain number on the scale...

The best way to keep track is to do measurements of key areas - you may see the scale go down slowly and get frustrated but by keeping measurements you can have something more accurate...Another good option is to grab a pair of jeans or pants that are a little too small on you now and use them as a gauge over time...throw them on every 2 weeks and see how they fit...
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Ok, thats good news :), what equipment do I need, and what sort of exercises should i do, I'm looking at strengthening my upper body - arms and core (i can't even do push ups)
    [/quote]

Sounds like pushups are a great place for you to start! If you can't do a full pushup, don't start with girlie style, just do a regular one with your hands on a chair or other elevated surface. As you get stronger, choose surfaces closer to the ground. You can also do chair dips to work on your triceps. To work your back (keep things even... don't work chest w/o working back) find a stable horizontal pole and lay underneath it, grab the pole, and pull yourself up (almost like a reverse pushup). Playgrounds are great places to find such things to do this on! Use household items for biceps and shoulder raises. Soup cans, water bottles, etc work great. No gym necessary! :)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    If you have been overweight for a while you probably already have nice muscles underneath the fat-it's needed to support the weight. Strength training will help preserve that muscle and burn calories to help reduce your body fat. Keep up the protein and do cardio to burn fat, but add at least body-weight strength training to your regular routine. If you have the resources to do more (e.g. gym) go for it.

Push-ups, chair-dips, planks, squats and lunges are great body-weight exercises that you can modify and make harder/easier depending on your fitness level.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Well, that';s an excellent place to start, then! Try this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396
  • yuliyax
    Options
    Ok, any more tips?
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks, BerryH!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm on the side of lifting and losing at the same time. Maintain lean mass and get healthy. I always wonder why those that want to lose weight then develop thier muscle want to intentionally lose lean mass just to have to try to get it back?? Also, it is next to impossible, some would say impossible to gain new muscle tissue on a deficit but who cares about that. If your concern is you will build bulk that is highly unlikely for a couple of reasons. First, you are a woman and don't have testosterone to help build muscle. 2nd you are eating a deficit and don't have the nutrients. Even men, with testosterone and eating a surplus build muscle very slowly. That doesn't mean you can't get what you have in shape!