Lifting weights and herniated disks???

Options
Just wanted to know if any of you have hearniated disks and still have managed to accomplished your goals lifting weights. I actually love lifting weights and have been doing so with the trainer. However it hurts sometimes and I am scared to do more damage. I have a few hearniated disks do to a car accident.

Replies

• Samson_S
    Samson_S Posts: 15
    Options
    I personally don't but my sister and brother do from work injuries and a car accident. They say wearing a good weight belt or something to support their backs really helps. I think my sister only uses that waist trimmer belt. It takes off water weight and she says it helps the pain. Also my sister tends to stick to the machines vs. free weights. hope that helps?
  • greeneyes1014
    Options
    im 30 and i had my first spinal fusion at 27 and im probably headed for another because my next disk is acting up.. i personally keep away from lifting to much, not sure where your discs are herniated, but mine are my lower back and my doc advises me to lift as little as possible to keep from damaging more.
    i would talk to your doc especially if your pain is increasing when your doing it, if you haven't had surgery yet, i would do whatever u can to keep it that way. but if you are going lift, be very careful and support yourself the best you can, maybe get into some core exercises that are good for strengthening and stretching the muscles before you get into much more lifting. Good luck!
  • Dragonfly7701
    Options
    thank you guys. Wow Debbie having that surgery so young. I have had a few surgeries myself but not my back yet. I have cervical, thoracic and lumbar herniated disk. YES WHAT A MESS!!! LOL but I have only had the epidurals done. No surgery yet. The one in my neck is the really bad one. My trainer knows about it so she trains me carefully. I have learned to stop if it hurts. Thank you guys for your imput. :bigsmile:
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wow.. good luck to you. I have one in my lumbar but I haven't had surgery... I've had several conservative treatments like epidural injections, physical therapy, etc. The physical therapy really taught me a lot and I use some of the key stretches every day.

Basically I make do with 3 Advils every morning and taking it easy on my back. So I go to the gym, but I'll never do squats, hack squats etc. Nothing where I'm putting a lot of pressure on my spine. At home I use only 25 lb plates - not 50 lb plates on my barbell. When I load up on my bench press, I ensure that my legs aren't being used in the exercise.

The real difficulty is exercising my delts because it almost always requires lifting something over the head. However if you do flyes, you can get away with relatively lighter weights than, say a military press.

I could go on and on for hours on this topic.... send me a PM if you like.
  • Mariad1964
    Options
    Dragonfly7701,
    I have a bulging disk on my C5 (neck area). I feel your pain.
    I had my personal trainer design a fitness program for me, he did have me doing very light weights and the first day that I did it, I was in so much pain.

I stopped doing exercises for my arms and shoulders.
    I had those cortisone shots too with no success and waiting for the workers comp to approve surgery.
    Take one day at a time is all we can do. I wish you luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I have a bulging disc, since I was in my 20's, due to an injury I have no knowledge of. When I stop exercising (take a week off or 2) then it begins to hurt. The sting goes all the way down to my heel. When I exercise it feels much better. The only thing I've noticed is that I can't "flex" my hamstring and calf as "hard" as my other leg, but that's a side effect from the sciatica.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dragonfly7701
    Options
    Thank you guys. I have noticed that doing any lifting above my head is what increases the pain. I am trying to stay away from surgery for now. I also have had physical therapy and steroids for it. They help but again is only temporary. I am trying to find things that work for me. Thank you all for your responses :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    About 15 years ago, I had one herniated disc requiring a discectomy folowed by PT and various pain management therapies, including epidurals. I did eventually return to some of the activities that were supposed to be verboten -- I do toe touches and I run occasionally -- but I do not engage in any kind of heavy lifting that would put strain on my lower back, such as dead lifts or good mornings.

You say you have several herniated discs. Your vertebrae are in a vulnerable state and you need to protect them. Follow the instructions of your orthopedist, physiatrist and PT or use plain common sense.
  • Rollingstone74
    Options
    Hi, it is probably best to seek professional advice from Dr, or Physio therapist. I have a weak lumber structure from extreme lifting, have ruptured disks twice and my weight does not help. My physio has suggested abdominal exercises to build core strength. This training involves no weights, just basic abdominal exercises. Once my core strength is sufficient, I can start more intense weight training. Your trainer should be able to help you with core strength, but I would still get a medical report that outlines the extent of the damage and which vertebrae are at risk.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi, it is probably best to seek professional advice from Dr, or Physio therapist. I have a weak lumber structure from extreme lifting, have ruptured disks twice and my weight does not help. My physio has suggested abdominal exercises to build core strength. This training involves no weights, just basic abdominal exercises. Once my core strength is sufficient, I can start more intense weight training. Your trainer should be able to help you with core strength, but I would still get a medical report that outlines the extent of the damage and which vertebrae are at risk.

Very good advice.
  • Dragonfly7701
    Options
    :bigsmile:

Very good advice.

I have had all of my vertebrate checked out and know as I am under the suppervision of an Neurologist, Ortho, and P. Therapist. I am lucky to be working in a hospital but no in the medical field (corporate) so I keep myself on check. It has been informative however to hear your answers. Greatly appreciated. I will take your tips :bigsmile: :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • winglun
    winglun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have C4 and C7 protruding discs. Been going to the gym which I think has helped. It's confusing because today a doctor told me do not do weightlifting at all but a few weeks ago a different doctor said do as it will help. So confused!
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    in for L5-S1 extrusion
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Louie Simmons from Westside Barbell has had multiple low back and neck surgeries and still managed to squat 900+lbs in his sixties. It can be done if you train intelligently. He swears up and down that the movement that helped him train without trashing his lower back was the reverse hyper. You should look him up on youtube.