Running on the treadmill

Options
I upped the speed of the treadmill lastnight for a fast walk and before I knew it I felt the urge to run. It felts more comfortable. Shocked me silly because I am not a runner....well, maybe? Who knows. Last night was the FIRST time I did not get spasms behind my knees afterwards....wondering why????

Replies

• jbassettFAT
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: I totally know what you mean. Running really seems natural. When you get a good stride going its like you are right with the world. thats why i am trying so hard to be able to maintain it longer. Must be our cave man running toward food days coming back to us... That would be cool if you had to run to have food everyday. Thats why cave men could eat all that meat...?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I hate walking on a treadmill. The "give" in the treadmills base always makes my knees and ankles hurt. I can walk/stand for 16 hours on pavement and not feel a thing, or run on a treadmill for an hour and be fine (or run for two hours on pavement). But after a minute of walking on a treadmill my knees are screaming at me to run or get off.
  • downhomechik
    Options
    I hate walking on a treadmill. The "give" in the treadmills base always makes my knees and ankles hurt. I can walk/stand for 16 hours on pavement and not feel a thing, or run on a treadmill for an hour and be fine (or run for two hours on pavement). But after a minute of walking on a treadmill my knees are screaming at me to run or get off.

I seem to have the opposite. I can walk outside for a lot longer but all in all I have the problem with my feet and legs. I do have orthos for my feet. Monday I start Physical therapy for me feet/legs to see if they can assist.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You are designed to be able to run, not walk fast

And its doesn;t hurt because you are getting fitter
  • SSGCoopsCutiePie
    SSGCoopsCutiePie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to run!! When I do, my shins burn so badly I have to stop...it hurts so bad I cry involuntarily. I do the eliptical instead, and thats pain free for me. But I still envy runners!! LOL Sounds like you are making progress and thats great! Congrats! Keep up!!
  • svazquez820
    svazquez820 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i did 20 minutes at 4.9 speed last night for the very first time without stopping. great feeling! keep up the great work :)
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I would love to be able to run!! When I do, my shins burn so badly I have to stop...it hurts so bad I cry involuntarily. I do the eliptical instead, and thats pain free for me. But I still envy runners!! LOL Sounds like you are making progress and thats great! Congrats! Keep up!!

They are called shin splints. Google some stretching exercises for it, and take it slowly, jog for a minute, walk for a minute, jog for a minute etc.

If that doesn;t work visit a physio
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options

try stretching more and using the foam rollers on your shins. I had all sorts of problems with my shins too.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I :heart: running! If the treadmill at my gym wouldn't automatically go into cool down mode after one hour I would keep going. It feels SOOOO good!
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being able to run on the treadie!! Can't wait until I can do the same :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I :heart: running! If the treadmill at my gym wouldn't automatically go into cool down mode after one hour I would keep going. It feels SOOOO good!

Roads and trails never go into a cool down mode. You can run as long as you want to. :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Omg I know, it's SO annoying when it does that! Although I don't run on a treadmill for more than 5 or 6 miles anyway because I get super bored.

But really, when you find that right pace, it just feels so natural and good! I love running!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Roads and trails never go into a cool down mode. You can run as long as you want to. :)

Word. I only use the treadmill if I have to or for interval training! Never for my long runs though, I'll brave the weather to get 10 miles in on a nice trail :)
  • sweetyjessy1
    sweetyjessy1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I done P90X, Insanity, Charleen Get Ripped, and they work well. Yet, had to switch up my program and now that I started running the weight is FLYING off. My overall body seems more compacted and tight than what the videos and machines were doing to my body.

I am sticking with running in and outside :) It works!!!
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Me too. I am told my shin splints will gradually go away as my lower leg muscles get stronger, but I can't walk past 3.5 on the treadmill or try running without great pain. I would love to be able to run, though. It would make my hate of cardio less, I think. :smile:
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Honestly

Do some stretches before you try running and it should help. Shins are not the easiest muscle group to stretch but worth the effort. Google a few and give it a go, its such a great exercise
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Honestly

Do some stretches before you try running and it should help. Shins are not the easiest muscle group to stretch but worth the effort. Google a few and give it a go, its such a great exercise

I do stretch. Consistently, pre walk, and I also ice them post walk, and take Motrin or Advil. This is the advice my physio gave me, but warned me it would take a long time because my ankles were "really weak". I guess I'm just inpatient. :smile:
  • thebigcb
    Options
    In that case , stick to what the pro told you

And keep going, you will get there