Fitbit

Options
I'm thinking of getting 1, does it work even when working out?

Replies

• FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yes :) Heck, just deep cleaning the house I got a fitbit adjustment calories on MFP. I even use it when I bike. I just attach to my shoe instead. It under estimates a little on certain things like that, otherwise I think it's pretty darn accurate. When I strength train I get in and around 300 ish calories burned. Of course, your numbers will be different but you get the idea.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for the reply
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It does not monitor heart rate but does make you more aware that you need to get up and move around. My husband and I enjoy ours and we get very competitive with our steps, which helps too. It also gave me a more accurate TDEE as it knows exactly how much I move around, unlike MFP guessing.
  • hutchy100
    Options
    Ok i'm defo getting 1 today
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes :) Heck, just deep cleaning the house I got a fitbit adjustment calories on MFP. I even use it when I bike. I just attach to my shoe instead. It under estimates a little on certain things like that, otherwise I think it's pretty darn accurate. When I strength train I get in and around 300 ish calories burned. Of course, your numbers will be different but you get the idea.

I do this too, I love mine!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have one and don't believe it's worth the expense. I'd invest in a good HRM if you're into cardio. I mainly strength train and don't pay attention to how many extra calories fitbit says I can eat. As best I can tell, it's continually adjusting up and down until midnight when it resets. Therefore you may go over on calories thinking you're in the clear. Also it doesn't play well with Macs.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love mine. For some things you can log into MFP with the time (When I do the eliptical, I enter what the machine says I burned for my weight and level of use) and others I just let the fitbit add it. It does make me more conscious about moving. I now make an effort to get 10 flights of stairs in. I am also using the sleep data to see if my weight loss improves it. I have very poor sleep and it can affect your mood and weight. Good luck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have one and don't believe it's worth the expense. I'd invest in a good HRM if you're into cardio. I mainly strength train and don't pay attention to how many extra calories fitbit says I can eat. As best I can tell, it's continually adjusting up and down until midnight when it resets. Therefore you may go over on calories thinking you're in the clear. Also it doesn't play well with Macs.

Someone gave me one (the original version) a few months ago. It's fun, but one problem I sometimes see on the Fitbit forum and here is that people (not you) expect too much of it. They think it's going to magically figure out their calorie burn, which it can't. As you've said, it certainly does not replace a heart rate monitor.

If money were an issue and I planned to do a lot of cardio I would buy a HRM before a Fitbit. But the Fitbit can be a fun motivator, and the site allows you to track things like your weight, body fat percentage, BP, etc.

If I were extremely sedentary and wanted to at least make sure that I was getting in a certain minimum number of steps each day, I might buy a Fitbit before a HRM.

I never pay any attention to calories that either Fitbit or MFP says I've burned through exercise.

Bottom line: If I lost my Fitbit tomorrow and had the money, I probably would replace it.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I love mine to pieces and I've become obsessed with the numbers (steps stairs miles) I just log my workouts on mfp and it adjusts on Fitbit. I'm gonna get a HRM too before long...with them both illbe unstoppable lol
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I love, love, love, love, love mine! It automatically syncs to MFP when you walk past the sensor so I log in and see I have to eat more calories :) I have actually gone for walks because my steps looked a bit low on the weekend
  • hutchy100
    Options
    I just ordered it i'm hoping to tell how many calories i use when working out and when i'm at work i hope it works
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I have one.

A Fitbit is mostly useful for determining your all around activity level for calorie calculations. It is not terribly accurate with certain exercises such as kickboxing, cycling, or other non-step type activities. A BodyMedia Fit will also give you your daily activity levels.

A HRM is not designed to tell you your 24 hour activity level, it is designed for cardio type activities, to tell you your (elevated) heart rate and calorie burn, based on that.

So, it depends on what you want to know. I wanted to know what my activity factor was (BMR X activity factor = maintenance calories). Fitbit works perfectly for that.

Here is a member testing the accuracy of FitBit vs BodyMedia Fit - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/541799-bodymedia-fit-vs-fitbit-accuracy
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I has one and I love it fitbit is good way to motivate you but for calories a HRM is your best bet I plan on getting one soon but I got the fitbit 1st to just get me moving a bit more
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It does not monitor heart rate but does make you more aware that you need to get up and move around. My husband and I enjoy ours and we get very competitive with our steps, which helps too. It also gave me a more accurate TDEE as it knows exactly how much I move around, unlike MFP guessing.
    ^^^^THIS! It really made me aware of my activity level, which has helped me adjust as I go into maintenance. Plus, it's fun :smile:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love mine!