Moms on the Go....

Options

Replies

• ldbenincasa
    Options
    One of my favorites, especially this time of the year, is sauteed zucchini and yellow squash tossed with pasta. I slice the zucchini and squash (could be done ahead of time) and sautee them in olive oil and garlic, and at the same time boil a pot of whole wheat pasta. When done, drain the pasta and stir in with the veggies. Sprinkle with parmesean cheese. My husband and three-year-old son both love this too.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    Half a cup of egg beaters and low fat cheese in a whole wheat tortilla fills me up big time!! :wink: Than again, I've always been a *breakfast for dinner* type of girl... I have french toast a lot for dinner, too! :blushing:

Breakfast for dinner! I love breakfast for dinner... and breakfast for lunch... breakfast for breakfast... breakfast as a snack...
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    What about a crockpot with a timer? Prepare it the night before, pop it in the crockpot before you go out the door & come home to a cooked meal.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for dinner! I love breakfast for dinner... and breakfast for lunch... breakfast for breakfast... breakfast as a snack...
    [/quote]

Yeah for breakfast:drinker: Thanks!

Any other recipes out there that are quick & kid friendly????
  • twirlingangel
    Options
    Mini Pizza's

Whole wheat english muffins
    Pizza sauce
    Light cheese (already shredded)
    Canadian bacon & veggies for me (I let my kids add their favorites, pepporoni & Veggies)

Pop in the oven for a few minutes and serve with a green salad.

**Great idea for a post! :love: I'm so excited to see what other mom's come up with!:happy:

This sound great! I am going to try it for dinner this week!!! Thanks!
  • twirlingangel
    Options
    I do the same thing, but replace the english muffin with a whole wheat tortilla, place it in frying pan sprayed with Olive Oil, put the sauce and cheese, and whatever veggies, then put a lid on the pan and let it cook until the bottom of the tortilla is browned.

Then I fold it over and volia! An Italian taco. :)

My daughter loves them.

Like this twist on the recipe as well! Thanks
  • twirlingangel
    Options
    One of my favorites, especially this time of the year, is sauteed zucchini and yellow squash tossed with pasta. I slice the zucchini and squash (could be done ahead of time) and sautee them in olive oil and garlic, and at the same time boil a pot of whole wheat pasta. When done, drain the pasta and stir in with the veggies. Sprinkle with parmesean cheese. My husband and three-year-old son both love this too.

This really sounds yummy! I feel guilty, I am getting all these cool ideas, and don't have anything to offer! I must be really boring!
  • Scubachick
    Options
    Warning - I am a veggie! :laugh: Im also in Ireland so some of my food may not be available where you are. But I think it is fairly universal. Here are my "feed them quick" Low cal/ healthy meals:

1: Carton of low fat soup or tinned tomatoes with frozen veg in one pot and pasta boiling in another. Both done in 10 mins. Adding herbs and spices can liven this up - especially curry or chili.

2: Scrambled eggs: 1 egg per person (I give my yolk to the kids to save the calories!). Use spray oil and a good non-stick pan and you wont need olive oil/ veg oil. Fry mushrooms/ onions/ sausages (for kids and hubby!). Once the veg/ meat is nearly cooked plop in the eggs mixed with a little milk.

3: Baked pototoes - do them in the microwave or pre-programme oven. Serve with salad on the side and low fat soft white cheese and chives or LF coleslaw on top.

4: Baked beans, saussages (for the kids again!) and mash pototoe. (lots of microwave use for this meal too!). Low Fat mayo is really nice to use in mash. Try to spice up the baked beans with curry power.

5: (not a recepie, but a tip!) Cook double (or triple!) quantities and freeze half for another time. Casseroles, stews, pasta sauces, curry etc work well. I find that I have to put the extra portions away before we start to eat or else someone is back for second helpings - usually me! :embarassed:

6: (another tip!) learn how to use the pre-programme function on your oven and or crock pot! You can come home to baked potototes, roasted veggies, stews, casseroles etc. Nice warming meals for winter! (well, it is that time of year in Ireland!).
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    Loaded Baked Potatoes! Thanks ScubaChick! I had forgotten about them. Load them with veggies & ham or chicken and my kids will eat them, thanks again!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Here's something I did that was pretty good - maybe not the absolute best option health wise but not too bad....

1 large pack of saffron rice with amount of water as directed but a tad less, no butter
    chicken tenderloins
    3/4 bag of pre cut broccoli flourets
    1 can 98% fat free cambells cream of mushroom

cooked til rice was done - sprinkled with 2% shredded cheddar

I threw everything into on casserole and cooked it - reheated it for dinner.
  • Dpanderson72
    Options
    I found buns at costco that tasted great and were super thin. They were 100 cals for the whole bun and my husband and I love them.. Just thought I would share..
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    I found buns at costco that tasted great and were super thin. They were 100 cals for the whole bun and my husband and I love them.. Just thought I would share..
    Were they the Orowheat Thins? They are great for sandwiches too!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    One of my quick and easy meals is to brown a pound of hamburger, add one can of chicken noodle soup, fill the soup can once with rice and once with water, adding both to the mixture. Let it simmer about 15minutes and serve. You get about 5 cups total, at about 250-300calories per cup. If you're trying to serve more than 3 people, it's probably good to add a side, like a veggie or a salad.

Also, I :heart: Steamfresh veggies. You can get just about any kind of veg you want, throw it in the microwave for about 5 minutes, and you're done.
  • twirlingangel
    Options

Do you by chance remember the brand. We don't have a cosco out where I live only Wal-Mart and Safeway. I might be able to find them!!!
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sloppy Joe-

Ground turkey meat and a can of tomato soup (got this one from the Campbell's soup site, I think)
    Anyway I used ground turkey for another recipe earlier in the week and just split the meat in half and put some in the fridge. Then tonight I threw the meat (about 1/2 pound) and 1/2 can of tomato soup in the pan and heated together.
    I had it on a salad with a little shredded cheese for dinner.
    But you could eat it on a whole wheat bun with veggies on the side.

YUM
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    Bump:tongue:
  • twirlingangel
    Options
    Sloppy Joe-

Ground turkey meat and a can of tomato soup (got this one from the Campbell's soup site, I think)
    Anyway I used ground turkey for another recipe earlier in the week and just split the meat in half and put some in the fridge. Then tonight I threw the meat (about 1/2 pound) and 1/2 can of tomato soup in the pan and heated together.
    I had it on a salad with a little shredded cheese for dinner.
    But you could eat it on a whole wheat bun with veggies on the side.

YUM

This sounds yummy. I think I will try it!!!
  • Angel31
    Angel31 Posts: 15
    Options
    Bump!! What great ideas!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I bought Bear Creek Darn Good Chili Mix - added a pack of 99% fat free ground turkey - cooked in crock pot - great reheated for lunch today too!!