People Don’t Get It?

Options

Replies

• marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    :smile: I think your doing great!!! Don't let what people say affect what your doing. I think people want to see people fail or if they notice they are doing good they want to put them down. A lot of Jealous people out there!!! I say keep doing what your doing as you are getting great results.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. (Sounds like tiny bits of jealousy to me.) For some people using the term "diet" is not positive, but thinking of things as a "lifestyle change" is. I'm in the lifestyle change boat. I never say I'm on a diet. Just that I'm trying to live healthier, which happens to mean eat less, eat better and move more.

I have fries, ice cream, chocolate, whatever all those "diet no-nos" are. I just don't eat them _all the time_ and I don't eat _large portions_. Two things in the past that I didn't have the will power or self-control to do, but after taking ownership can manage it. :)
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Some people think they know everything. I got into with my brother-in-law over some nachos a couple of weeks ago. He started in about you shouldn't be eating that on a diet. He didn't want to hear about a spike day or the fact that I had just spent 3 hours biking and running. I guess that's why he is fat and will never lose weight. Haters are gonna hate! Congrats! Keep doing what works for you.

this!!! very nicely stated!!!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Those who know the least often speak the loudest.

What you're doing is obviously working for you and you're happy with your pace and it's not an unhealthy way to go about it. Regardless of what you do, there will be people who talk like that and think they're giving advice when really they're either being very snide or are just misinformed. Because really, what does the Average Joe know about weight loss without doing research? They basically parrot what TV tells them and what is now outdated advice/tricks simply because it's been repeated too much.

In the end you know what works for you, you'd change it if it didn't, and in time your results will be enough to shut them up and prove them wrong.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    What idiots!!!! :grumble:

You are doing great, keep up the great work and the results of your hard work will show them!!! :flowerforyou:
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and getting to a more healthy place is a lot like raising kids - EVERYBODY who doesn't do it knows all the answers on exactly how to do it. And aren't afraid to share those answers. Those that do it know the answers lie in yourself, and are basically your answers to figure out.

Such is Life.
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing because it works for you. They will either see the light or stay in the dark.
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    For all of you who have had the negative comments, I have one suggestion - stop telling people you're on a "diet." The word diet has been defined by our culture as a period of time when you will eat less, starve yourself, or do some other foolish thing in order to lose weight. In this popular definition, the diet has a defined start and end. What I hear you all saying is this is for life - a true lifestyle change. People will still be snarky at times, but at least you don't have to listen to the folks who "can't believe you would eat THAT on a diet!"

Just my two cents, take it or leave it, and keep up the good work! :drinker:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You now have the answer to why obesity is an epidemic in this country....ignorance.

Indeed!

Given that they are ignorant, I would blind them with science. Drop in "insulin response", ketosis, kreb's cycle and metabolic rate. Then if they make some half-baked response, tell them they clearly don't know what they are talking about and ought to do some research.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My MIL always asks....can you have that on your diet....I'm Like...I can have anything I want. It's not a diet people!! Go check out my blog on the word diet. ;)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mamamc03/view/four-letter-word-153865
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    I just never told anyone until they noticed the difference, then they couldn't start with the "Oh that won't work!"

I do the same thing. I keep my mouth closed and let the rest of my body speak for itself!!
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much everyone - this is just what I needed - now to have my snack and go for a walk!
    Hopefully... when we hit the beach this summer they wont have anything left to say :wink: :drinker:
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing. I have lost 56 pounds and have gone from a size 14 *pushing a 16* to a size 8 *nearly a 6* in the space of 10 months. I've gone from not being able to run a quarter mile without feeling like I was in cardiac arrest to running about 35 miles a week, every week. And to this day, there are certain people (they're the ones who have a few they'd like to lose as well) who will always tut at me when they "catch" me eating a cookie or something deemed too "fun" for a diet. My response is usually a smile and a, "Well, I ran six miles today, so I more than earned this cookie!" or "Looks like it's working, doesn't it?" Eventually, these folks won't be able to argue with your results, so try to tune them out even though it's hard. You're getting it right. Weight loss you can sustain for the rest of your life isn't about deprivation or quick fixes. Adopt a healtheir lifestyle you will be able to live with...and who wants to live in a world where we *never* have treats?
  • Jbradbury1964
    Jbradbury1964 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sadly, many people are stuck on the "eating very little calories to lose weight" theory. (I call that the anorexic diet) :sick:

Just know they are not educated in the way you are suppose to eat to lose. If they doubt you, send them to MFP to figure it out for themselves. Like others have stated, your weight loss and toning will show them that whatever you are doing and eating, is working just fine for you!

^5 to you on your loss and keep your chin up! We are all proud of you! :flowerforyou:

BTW, my family laughed at me and thought I was nuts to say I could eat what I wanted as long as I didnt go over my goal. Since Valentine's Day I have lost 23 lbs (i'm 48 yrs old so that is good) and just yesterday my sister pointed out that my pants were looking baggy and my butt was much smaller. (think she was jealous lol). Now they are starting to notice a change about me and I love it!!!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    You now have the answer to why obesity is an epidemic in this country....ignorance.

Indeed!

Given that they are ignorant, I would blind them with science. Drop in "insulin response", ketosis, kreb's cycle and metabolic rate. Then if they make some half-baked response, tell them they clearly don't know what they are talking about and ought to do some research.

Or simply "I have lost x number of pounds, your argument is invalid."
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Indeed!

Or simply "I have lost x number of pounds, your argument is invalid."

Or that! :D
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think often times you just have to be careful who you tell that you're on a diet. I tell people I am on a diet when I need it as an excuse for eating less or choosing not to eat something that someone insists I eat. Otherwise, I prefer to not make a big announcement about it. I think results speak louder than anything. Once you lose a lot of weight.. you become beyond reproach.

I think people tend to think a persons choice to eat healthy is somehow an attack on their own lifestyle. So when you eat something the same as someone else who is over weight... their mindset is "ha, you said you were on a diet but now you're doing what im doing, so now you're off. You're no better than me!" They don't want to acknowledge that perhaps the situation should be reversed. Perhaps since you're on the diet you should be eating the nachos and since he's not on one he should pass on them :).

For some people there is just never going to be a good explanation. Just crack a joke "im on the see food diet" or "aren't these fat free?" and ignore them. If you are getting results... who cares..
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My MIL always asks....can you have that on your diet....I'm Like...I can have anything I want. It's not a diet people!! Go check out my blog on the word diet. ;)

Wow... seriously? even after losing as much weight as you have. People have some gall....
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Wow... seriously? even after losing as much weight as you have. People have some gall....

IKR!!
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This. Seriously.

Besides, in the end, the only one that you'll answer to is yourself. The fact that you're making a conscious effort puts you far beyond where so many others are staying stagnant.