The gall of some people

Options
howekaren
howekaren Posts: 159 Member
Sometimes I wonder if people are raised completely without any manners whatsoever. Here's my story: Typically, from Monday to Thursday I play volleyball for 2 hours each night. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I also do a one hour HIIT fitness session prior to volleyball. I'm really committed to exercising and losing weight. So, as it happens, this is the time of year that the Tuesday and Thursday sessions of volleyball are done for the season and this week and last I've instead been doing 2 - one hour HIIT fitness sessions back to back. The first session is the standard group and the second is a session for a local "Biggest Loser" challenge. The trainer is a generous guy and allows members of either group to attend both sessions for the price of one. There are a few of the "loser" challengers who also do the two sessions, including one lady who really has me riled up now.

Picture it: Sicily, 1942.....sorry, I digress. So, after rushing home from work, changing into my workout duds and grabbing a quick snack I put in two fairly sweaty hours of training. By the end of the evening (9pm), my face is red, my makeup well worn off, my muscles are quivering, my hair wet and disheveled, and I'm generally not looking my best. Granted. Along comes this woman, whom I have to say looks every bit as bad as I do BEFORE she gets to the workout, and tells me I look "tired". I will say that a few times she has done both workouts, but not this particular evening. She's one of the "loser" challengers.

"Well, yes" I say, "I've done the two sessions tonight so I'm beat".
Her: "Yeah, but I noticed the last couple of weeks you've looked really tired. Your face is quite tired and wan looking. And you're really pale. You're just not looking very good lately. Maybe it's because you have no makeup on?"
Me: "Well I'm naturally fairly light skinned and any makeup I had on probably wore off about 7:30" (Still trying to gamely smile and be polite). .
Her: "Oh, you had some on?!"

WTF?! I don't know this woman from Adam, other than seeing her come in to class as I go out. Seriously, she thinks it's ok to tell a complete stranger that they look like *kitten* after they've worked their guts out? Gee, thanks a bunch lady for the encouragement. I might tell my best friend or my sister they don't look so great, but not after a workout. Who looks good after a workout? According to my trainer, if you look good afterwards, you're not doing it right!

Sorry about the long post, but I needed to vent.

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    how about saying "well take a look in the mirror woman!"
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a hag, but mega-props to you for using the Golden Girls reference. :laugh:
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Some people have to belittle others to feel better about the own shortcomings. Your beautiful tell her to step off.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Some people have to belittle others to feel better about the own shortcomings. Your beautiful tell her to step off.

^^This.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I offend, but my usual response to this kind of rudeness is "kiss my *ss."

Nice restraint.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'd hate to see what she'd say to me, cause i usually look like who did it and ran.....like you should have busting your *kitten*. Good for you for working out back to back sessions, that's amazing. Sham on her for being so ill mannored. It shocks me when it comes from people over the age of 25.....young kids I just laugh and hope I wasn't that ignorant at that age, but then again I was raised better. Cheers to the weekend :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a hag, but mega-props to you for using the Golden Girls reference. :laugh:

Agreed! You sound awesome and she sounds bitter and rude. It's good you hardly spoke with her before. I've had strangers on the street say nasty things to me. One thing reading your question made me realize I should be grateful for is that those people are only strangers to me and I don't have to deal with them regularly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'd take it as a compliment because the worse I look, then the harder I probably busted my *kitten*! If you're too "pretty" after a workout, then you probably lacked effort.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

^^THIS!!! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Love the golden girls!
    Any chance she is genuinely concerned? People kept telling me I looked pale at work..and I'm black so I was like..yeah right. Turned out I'm anemic. So you never know. Or she could have a little crush on you. I mean why is she paying such close attention to you?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    My answer would be a good old falcon punch
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Quote: "Kiss my *kitten*"

That's typically my response to people I know, for sure! However, this lady is, I think anyways, a year or two older than me and my mother practically beat "respect your elders" into me. Well, until I know them better that is. Needless to say, I won't be quite so polite next time.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Typically, from Monday to Thursday I play volleyball for 2 hours each night. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I also do a one hour HIIT fitness session prior to volleyball.

That's brilliant - well done Karen and ignore the idiot, she obviously doesn't have as much social grace as you
  • nathanspowell
    nathanspowell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    She paid you a compliment, she just didn't realize it. As you said, you just worked out back to back sessions and it should show!
  • xMonica25x
    Options
    I would of straight punched her in the face!

was she wearing makeup? if she was, i would of made a comment by saying "Well I see you wearing makeup and its not helping and you do realize you come to gym to work out not to look pretty which in your case doesnt make a difference" and then walked away smiling like a boss! :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'd take it as a compliment because the worse I look, then the harder I probably busted my *kitten*! If you're too "pretty" after a workout, then you probably lacked effort.

IDEA Fitness member

Psh, I look like a supermodel when I finish working out, I'm just naturally flawless.

No but really, what a *kitten*. Who says that? So rude, I've had people say "oh wow, you look really tired today" before if I don't have on eyeliner and mascara. Whatever, shake that hater off, you're doing a great job being committed to your fitness!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Nice restraint! I'm not sure I could have done it after 2 hours of HIITT! Yikes!
    Some people don't know what to say to others sometimes. I don't know if she was generally concerned or just being b@#%^y. Just take it in stride and avoid her when you can!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Rude people everywhere.
    I wear make up when I workout because I do it after the office. I always check my makeup when I am done. If it still looks too pretty, I take it as a sign that I didn't push myself enough and that I should go harder next time.
    The crazier hair and tired face I have after working out, the more satisfaction I feel because it means I really brought it. Since I workout in my basement, there is no one to judge me but when I used to go to the gym. I would make a bee line to the locker room, put a hat on and go home because you always had the one "rude person" making comments like that.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    How rude! Google some really obsure illnesses and if she ever says it again you can respond with "Well you'd not look so good if you had *chosen ailment*!!" and see what she says :explode: :explode: :explode:

Oh, and by the way, I always have beetroot face and fright hair after a good workout, I agree that if you look good you've not tried hard enough!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This. If my shirt isnt dripping with sweat after a workout, then I didnt do it right